Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: raspberry)

26 Feb 2024 13:10 - 26 Feb 2024 13:12

Config Help for RPI4 + SKR E3 mini V2 + Remora or similar

Category: Driver Boards

Hello  everyone,
I need your help with my setup. LinuxCNC is already running on my Raspberry Pi 4, and I’ve also installed Remora. Unfortunately, I can’t find any information for my SKR E3 Mini board on where to connect the 5 cables coming from the Raspberry Pi. Somehow, I need to establish communication between the SKR Mini and the Raspberry Pi. The connections on the Raspberry Pi are clear, but where do I connect them on the SKR Mini? When I look at the source code on GitHub for Remora, I only find one entry for the SPI interface, but that seems to be related to the SD card. I’ve downloaded the pre-compiled firmware from Remora’s GitHub repository. Do I need to compile my own firmware to configure the SPI pins on EXP1?

It would be nice if you could help me further.

26 Feb 2024 10:10

Preparing native Raspberry Pi OS for LinuxCNC

Category: Installing LinuxCNC

Any kernel parameters can be set here
github.com/rodw-au/rpi-img-builder-lcnc/...rscripts/uscripts#L6
Any kernel compile time settings can be set in menuconfig and then the  defconfig file can be saved for future compiles.
26 Feb 2024 10:06

I read what is reported in github.com/golyakoff/linux-info/blob/mai...aspberryOS/README.md.
My suggestion is to add (as reported here ubuntu.com/blog/industrial-embedded-systems-ii and here docs.ros.org/en/foxy/Tutorials/Miscellan...ernel-for-ROS-2.html)

Set CONFIG_HZ_1000 (note: this is no longer in the General Setup menu, go back twice)
-> Processor type and features
-> Timer frequency (1000 HZ)
(X) 1000 HZ

# Set CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE [=y]
-> Power management and ACPI options
-> CPU Frequency scaling
-> CPU Frequency scaling (CPU_FREQ [=y])
-> Default CPUFreq governor (<choice> [=y])
(X) performance
26 Feb 2024 09:00

Is it a known working SD card at that capacity ?
A bit of searching for that particular error points to a file system error, you may have to run fsck on the SD card on a Linux system.
I doubt that it has anything to do with the size of the drive, more likely filesystem error on the SD card.
I do a google search for the text contained in the error.
26 Feb 2024 08:14

I suspect your SSD is too big given the bugs in the volume sizing upstream. They never imagined people would use large volumes or build images as big as we need. I have not merged upstream changes which might fix it. I will try and do that.

If you want to add extra packages, the best method I found was to use Debian PAckage search packages.debian.org/index to locate your exact package and then add to this line
github.com/rodw-au/rpi-img-builder-lcnc/...ata.txt#L24C1-L24C11

Anything else needs to be done in  userscripts
github.com/rodw-au/rpi-img-builder-lcnc/...userscripts/uscripts
There are several section in  this file called at different times  but most of it is done in  run_function2 when the chroot exists
Files can be copied out of the chroot in run_function3  but the file paths change.

25 Feb 2024 22:17

Hello guys, I continue experiments with just created image.
I have burned it on the SD Card 512Gb (not sure, probably it is to much?)
Did you faced with troubles like read-only root file system?
Here is what I have checked:

ago@pi-cnc:~$ sudo mount | grep /dev
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1667364k,nr_inodes=416841,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on / type ext4 (ro,noatime,errors=remount-ro,commit=600)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot/broadcom type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,flush,errors=remount-ro)

ago@pi-cnc:~$ sudo dmesg | grep mmcblk0p2
[    4.946191] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Quota mode: none.
[    7.221878] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): re-mounted. Quota mode: none.
[  216.642005] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): ext4_validate_block_bitmap:420: comm http: bg 128: bad block bitmap checksum
[  216.642025] Aborting journal on device mmcblk0p2-8.
[  216.722933] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): ext4_journal_check_start:83: comm kworker/u8:0: Detected aborted journal
[  217.348056] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): Remounting filesystem read-only
[  217.348076] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p2) in ext4_writepages:2856: IO failure
[  217.348079] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): failed to convert unwritten extents to written extents -- potential data loss!  (inode 108110, error -30)
[  217.348634] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): failed to convert unwritten extents to written extents -- potential data loss!  (inode 108110, error -30)
[  217.348963] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): failed to convert unwritten extents to written extents -- potential data loss!  (inode 108114, error -30)
[  217.349014] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): failed to convert unwritten extents to written extents -- potential data loss!  (inode 108116, error -30)
[  217.349153] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): failed to convert unwritten extents to written extents -- potential data loss!  (inode 108117, error -30)
[  217.349325] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): failed to convert unwritten extents to written extents -- potential data loss!  (inode 108111, error -30)
[  217.349366] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): failed to convert unwritten extents to written extents -- potential data loss!  (inode 108113, error -30)
[  217.349455] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): failed to convert unwritten extents to written extents -- potential data loss!  (inode 108115, error -30)
[  217.349507] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): failed to convert unwritten extents to written extents -- potential data loss!  (inode 108112, error -30)
[ 1171.143967] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): __ext4_remount:6425: comm mount: Abort forced by user

Thank you for your help!
25 Feb 2024 21:53

Got it via balenaEtcher!
Thanks guys!
ago@pi-cnc:~$ uname -a
Linux pi-cnc 6.1.77-rt21 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Feb 25 23:01:38 MSK 2024 aarch64 GNU/Linux

I still to customize it's vnc-server as I use headless CNC and install LinuxCNC itself. I didn't find it in the installed programs...
Will dig your framework deeper how to customize adding of the additional sources and gpg keys (to have linuxcnc, vscode, and sublime on the board).

Again - great work - The building process took about 30 minutes on 16 cores!
25 Feb 2024 21:12

Decided to add some probably useful details :

1. After preparing the userdata.txt file I called "make menu" and went through all the UI (for bcm2711 arm64) till the end.

2. I used branch linuxcnc-2.9.2 of rpi-img-builder-lcnc according to Rod's suggestion.

3. I used default image size IMGSIZE="122880MB"
25 Feb 2024 21:01

Yes, I used 20 cores....
You need to read and understand userdata.txt.
There are basically 3 steps.
1. Get the Pi kernel source and build the lernel
2. Build the root file system
3. Build the image.

The relevant preempt_rt patch 6.1.69-rt21 from kernel.org  is in userpatches
The commit is from the Raspberry 6.1.y kernel source github.com/raspberrypi/linux
This is the very next commit after the 6.1.69 kernel was merged into the raspberry kernel repo
This is important because without locking in the commit to get, the kernel can diverge a lot and it will become unstable with that patch
You could look for later  RT patches and find a later kernel release that matches it.
After the Pi5 was released it took a long time before such a merge happened or the happened out of step. The current version  is common for both the Pi5 and Pi4

Also from userdata.txt
### CUSTOM KERNEL - Comment out the one not required
CUSTOM_DEFCONFIG="0"
#MYCONFIG="linuxcnc-pi4_defconfig"
#MYCONFIG="linuxcnc-pi5_defconfig"
Once you configure the kernel with menuconfig, you can save the generated defconfig and tell it to use that. This means that on future builds, it skips menuconfig.

Also in custom.txt, try changing the image size to 12288MB. (12gb) This is how much memory is used when building the image. This might let you use the pi imager to burn the image. I found some bugs in their IMG shrink routine so made it big. I can't remember if the upstream changes have been merged in to fix this.

I installed network manager but Andy observed latency got worse so I took it out. You could add it to USER_PKGS 

I deliberately kept the image as standard as possible to stay as close to what the x86 installer offers

Hello, today I have a pleasure to test your build system. First of all - it is really great work, thanks again!
I started with the default settings (mostly) and successfully built the image, but I cannot write it to the SD Card as RPI Imager says something like "Input file is not a valid image file. File size 3,795,000,000 is not aligned by 512 bytes" (it isn't the exact error message, my translation from my localized version, not sure how to change UI language there). RPI Imager v.1.8.5 (latest available).
Very probably something wrong with my settings or steps.

Configuration changes:
custom.txt:

HOSTNAME="pi-cnc"

userdata.txt
NAME="Andrey"
USERNAME="ago"
PASSWORD="*"
VERBOSE="1"
COMPRESS_IMG="1"
ENABLE_COMMIT="1"
COMMIT="342c7ee49e862edc30c893f141f55b9211b7a43b"
KBUSER="ago"
KBHOST="pc-cnc"

After preparing these files manually and ensuring that the board.txt file created 

I also received file .cache/git_fast.linux-rpi-6.1.y
GIT_FAST="true"
GIT_COMMIT="afd5f659b0453e4c710ce5cf74c577563ff16239"

Output files:
rpi-4-debian-bookworm-6.1.77-rt21-arm64-ext4-2024-02-25-2312.img.xz
rpi-4-debian-bookworm-6.1.77-rt21-arm64-ext4-2024-02-25-2312.img.xz.sha256
output/bcm2711/linux-headers-bcm2711-rpi-4_6.1.77-rt21-1_arm64.deb
output/bcm2711/linux-image-bcm2711-rpi-4_6.1.77-rt21-1_arm64.deb
output/logs (attached)

I will be very pleased if you can suggest something to move on.
Thank you!

25 Feb 2024 11:56

Bugger hey, but like I said the value isn't a "memory" value but a disk image value.

Once I get this effing diabetes under control I'll pop down in the garage and start doing some real world testing of Linuxcnc on the Raspberry Pi image and the image built via the image maker....and see if the gvfs modules and network manager are an issue, from previous experience I don't see it being such an issue to make it unusable with mesa hardware, maybe direct gpio with a base & servo thread maybe a different kettle of fish . Wont be on the mill as I don't want to delve into the control box, but on the Frankenstein Myford ML7/Super 7. Reminds me I'll have to jerry rig something up for the spindle encoder.
25 Feb 2024 07:11

What changes were they ?
Even from the beginning that number referred to file size for the that the partitions and file systems .

In their changed scripts they attempted to do some maths to work out the size to use and they got it way wrong.  And of course i was the crash dummy that found the bug which was painful for a few days... But they fixed it.
25 Feb 2024 03:30

What changes were they ?
Even from the beginning that number referred to file size for the that the partitions and file systems .
25 Feb 2024 03:19

Small correction it’s not the amount of memory used to build the image it’s the size of the file on disk used to create the boot & root partitions and file systems in, later on during the process these are mounted, as you would a physical disk partition, as well as some of the “virtual” file systems, and qemu “boots” and your have your virtual arm64 machine, and this is the environment that everything is installed for the final file system.
Actually after the image has been finalised you can start a qemu session with it and make any fine adjustments and these will be in the image after you exit the qemu session. I haven’t attempted a full GUI session but a text mode session is fine. Of course you need to setup and mount the image and add the virtual file systems before hand, but if you look through the code you’ll see how this is done.
Basically the same as when you create a virtual machine with say for example VirtualBox. You’re asked how big you want your disk to be. Then a file is created (can be a fixed size or dynamically allocated) and when you boot partitions and file systems are created in the file.

I suspect you missed the pain caused by buggy changes made by upstream that broke my build....
25 Feb 2024 01:19

Small correction it’s not the amount of memory used to build the image it’s the size of the file on disk used to create the boot & root partitions and file systems in, later on during the process these are mounted, as you would a physical disk partition, as well as some of the “virtual” file systems, and qemu “boots” and your have your virtual arm64 machine, and this is the environment that everything is installed for the final file system.
Actually after the image has been finalised you can start a qemu session with it and make any fine adjustments and these will be in the image after you exit the qemu session. I haven’t attempted a full GUI session but a text mode session is fine. Of course you need to setup and mount the image and add the virtual file systems before hand, but if you look through the code you’ll see how this is done.
Basically the same as when you create a virtual machine with say for example VirtualBox. You’re asked how big you want your disk to be. Then a file is created (can be a fixed size or dynamically allocated) and when you boot partitions and file systems are created in the file.
24 Feb 2024 23:50

Yes, I used 20 cores....
You need to read and understand userdata.txt.
There are basically 3 steps.
1. Get the Pi kernel source and build the lernel
2. Build the root file system
3. Build the image.

The relevant preempt_rt patch 6.1.69-rt21 from kernel.org  is in userpatches
The commit is from the Raspberry 6.1.y kernel source github.com/raspberrypi/linux
This is the very next commit after the 6.1.69 kernel was merged into the raspberry kernel repo
This is important because without locking in the commit to get, the kernel can diverge a lot and it will become unstable with that patch
You could look for later  RT patches and find a later kernel release that matches it.
After the Pi5 was released it took a long time before such a merge happened or the happened out of step. The current version  is common for both the Pi5 and Pi4

Also from userdata.txt
### CUSTOM KERNEL - Comment out the one not required
CUSTOM_DEFCONFIG="0"
#MYCONFIG="linuxcnc-pi4_defconfig"
#MYCONFIG="linuxcnc-pi5_defconfig"
Once you configure the kernel with menuconfig, you can save the generated defconfig and tell it to use that. This means that on future builds, it skips menuconfig.

Also in custom.txt, try changing the image size to 12288MB. (12gb) This is how much memory is used when building the image. This might let you use the pi imager to burn the image. I found some bugs in their IMG shrink routine so made it big. I can't remember if the upstream changes have been merged in to fix this.

I installed network manager but Andy observed latency got worse so I took it out. You could add it to USER_PKGS 

I deliberately kept the image as standard as possible to stay as close to what the x86 installer offers

Displaying 181 - 195 out of 967 results.
Time to create page: 0.547 seconds