LinuxCNC Features - a kind of NGCGUI

More
12 Mar 2015 21:07 #56745 by FernV
Hi Nick

One more thing about those headers,
To make them collapseable would mean to append to the 3rd level in the treestore,
I am sure you agree that is not a good idea because it would be very complicated
to manage and create a NGC code in this setup. Plus EVERY feature would have to be done that way.

I guess you also agree that it is much better to have short subroutines with the essential (10 params or so)
instead of having 20 parameters in one. We just include another subroutine with what we need.

The headers serve to help focus on the task

Regards
Fern

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2015 21:12 #56746 by andypugh

There's an svg file containing all icons and a script to make pngs any size you want.
Take a look at icons.svg and create_icons.py.
github.com/cnc-club/linuxcnc-features

I wonder if there is a more fun way to do that? rsvg can render a single "id:" of an SVG file to pixbuf.
Line 22 here: github.com/andypugh/SVG_Slicer/blob/master/svgtest.py

More
02 Apr 2015 01:15 #57402 by newbynobi
Hallo,

I am trying to incorporate linuxcnc-features into gmoccapy.

So I first tried around and get also a refresh on most features. The biggest problem is, that I do not know what are al the parameters, entering often wrong values, getting strange stuff.

Is there any WIKI in English or German?
Just explaining the different parameters for the different features.

I found the following until now, playing around with lathe catalog.

Why not searching in the INI for [DISPLAY] LATHE = 1 and load directly the lathe catalog?

I just cloned the repo and after starting linuxcnc / gmoccapy I entered ./features --catalog /path to lathe.xml --ini /home/path to ini, I get a list of bugs, that INI files could not be found, because they are searched in subfolder draw. That Folder does not exist, I needed to rename the folder draw-old-delete-later to get rid of the mistakes., but still some ini files are not found, like lathe-multipass.ini, array.ini and circular-aray.ini, as the are not in the lathe folder.

So I added a face feature, but I only could get one cut. What if a face is not straight and I need to take 5 cuts with 0.5 mm each ?

After solving this, I report more ;-)

Norbert

More
02 Apr 2015 16:25 - 02 Apr 2015 16:26 #57425 by Nick

Why not searching in the INI for [DISPLAY] LATHE = 1 and load directly the lathe catalog?

To be more flexible. :)
But may be you are right, probably if catalog is not defined and LATHE = 1 is found in the ini we should use Lathe catalog.

I wonder if there is a more fun way to do that? rsvg can render a single "id:" of an SVG file to pixbuf.

Probably there is. But inkscape has some features that are not supported by SVG, and rendering on fly can demand a lot of time (10-100 seconds), so I've chosen the easy (or lasy) way - using inkscape's cli to render the icons.

One more thing about those headers,
To make them collapseable would mean to append to the 3rd level in the treestore,
I am sure you agree that is not a good idea because it would be very complicated
to manage and create a NGC code in this setup. Plus EVERY feature would have to be done that way.

Agreed.

I guess you also agree that it is much better to have short subroutines with the essential (10 params or so)
instead of having 20 parameters in one. We just include another subroutine with what we need.

More or less agreed. I think there should be not more than 5 parameters :).

What if a face is not straight and I need to take 5 cuts with 0.5 mm each ?

You mean a taper? Or 5 faces like stairs?
Last edit: 02 Apr 2015 16:26 by Nick.

More
02 Apr 2015 20:51 #57429 by andypugh

Probably there is. But inkscape has some features that are not supported by SVG, and rendering on fly can demand a lot of time (10-100 seconds),

My experience so far is that rendering a single "id" with rsvg takes very little time at all.
Here is an example, rendering individual slices made from a solid model all of which are in the same SVG file and using rsvg:

It seems rather fast, and though there are no colour gradients the outlines are made of many segments.

There is a fly in the ointment. Actually populating the SVG file with the graphics is a bit of a chore.

More
03 Apr 2015 04:54 #57454 by newbynobi
Sorry, have you no comments to

i just cloned the repo and after starting linuxcnc / gmoccapy I entered ./features --catalog /path to lathe.xml --ini /home/path to ini, I get a list of bugs, that INI files could not be found, because they are searched in subfolder draw. That Folder does not exist, I needed to rename the folder draw-old-delete-later to get rid of the mistakes., but still some ini files are not found, like lathe-multipass.ini, array.ini and circular-aray.ini, as the are not in the lathe folder.

Norbert

More
03 Apr 2015 14:57 #57471 by Nick

Sorry, have you no comments to

i just cloned the repo and after starting linuxcnc / gmoccapy I entered ./features --catalog /path to lathe.xml --ini /home/path to ini, I get a list of bugs, that INI files could not be found, because they are searched in subfolder draw. That Folder does not exist, I needed to rename the folder draw-old-delete-later to get rid of the mistakes., but still some ini files are not found, like lathe-multipass.ini, array.ini and circular-aray.ini, as the are not in the lathe folder.

Norbert

I'm not sure about last version, I think than those ini have been moved to another folder.... probably they should be removed from the catalog...
It seems rather fast, and though there are no colour gradients the outlines are made of many segments.
The slowest thing is blur which is used for shadows...

More
24 May 2015 03:23 - 24 May 2015 03:34 #58959 by FernV
Hi Nick,

I did not have much time lately to work on the new version, however I completed debugging (only one bug I could not find a work around).

I updated most of my features to take advantage of the new version.

You can see an ellipse and a polygon that is pocketed.

All my features (Rectangle, circle, slots, radial slots, ellipse and polygons) can be cutted clockwise or counter-clockwise, cutted inside or pocket, outside or without compensation.

Here is the general help file (Sorry, it would not upload)

I am willing to share all my work but am not very familiar with git-hub. However I think I have an account.

What do you say about this ?

Regards
Fern
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 May 2015 03:34 by FernV.

More
25 May 2015 17:07 #59000 by Nick
Looks great!

Where can we get it? :)

More
12 Jun 2015 02:31 #59719 by aventtini
this is incredible to have it included when you first install linuxcnc on the machime . Some classic subrutines

Time to create page: 0.811 seconds