LinuxCNC Features - a kind of NGCGUI

More
24 Feb 2016 01:42 #70547 by Geshka
Hi.
I started to learn Features add-on to the LinuxCNC and found it absolutely fantastic!

Asking for some help, though: in latest release from Fern git I cannot figure out how to set tool diameter. ?

Thanks
Gene

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2016 02:19 #70549 by cncnoob1979
Hey Gene!

You set the tool parameter using a tool number that is located in linuxcnc tool table.

In features, select a drill change event in the menu. Select tool 1 or which ever applies and that diameter (that is listed in Linuxcnc's tool table) will be applied.

I hope that helps or at least doesn't muddy the waters much more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OttoDidact, Geshka

More
24 Feb 2016 12:27 #70567 by Geshka
Thanks Cncnoob.

This makes perfect sense. Should've guessed myself :blush:

More
02 Mar 2016 23:47 #70936 by OttoDidact
Hi All,

This is awesome. So far I have it installed as a standalone and I was muddling my way through and got some code into Axis.

Where do I choose the tool and set feed rates, depth of cut etc?

Thanks
Otto

More
03 Mar 2016 02:32 #70941 by FernV
Hi Otto,

Add "change tool" and you should have what you want.

I am working on much better new files (ngc) and hope to publish a preview with a video after I have my milling work again

Best regards
Fernand

More
03 Mar 2016 06:25 #70947 by OttoDidact
Cool, thank you. I'm making some progress now

What's up with your mill?

More
03 Mar 2016 18:31 #70985 by FernV
Hi Otto

My problems with my mill are :
  • PC had too much latency Max Jitter was up to 174000, When I removed the PCI-e GC, it went down a bit but max was still 54000. It was right when I set it up but it seems that some apps were causing problems. I ordered a new MB and CPU but I had to replace the CPU except that the problem then was the MB. After rebuilding the PC and a fresh reinstall, the first Latency test Max Jitter was 49000 and it stayed high with Iceweasel only. I reinstalled the first one yesterday and first test showed MJ of 4000 but it have not made an extensive test yet
  • Another problem is that I can not have output to control my spindle speed on any pin. Maybe it is only a configuration problem ?

I have to make it usable in order to actually test my new ngc files before releasing them. I do not want to do it only on sim testing. I want to show it running on the preview video.

Another thing I did to help in the development of files is write a "Syntax Highlighting System" that includes Code Folding and Error Detection. I selected Kate from KDE because it supports folding by indentation, it is so easy of use and features rich and also because it ranked best editing app in all review I read. After using it I like it so much that I think I will drop Notepad++. GEdit does NOT support folding.

Screenshots of it in the Windows version

You can easily see where errors are

This is for the ini files used (renamed *.cfg)

You can see that changing colors is very easy, unlike gedit

I submitted the file to KDE for inclusion in katepart but if someone would like to try it first hand I would be happy to post it here

Regards
Fernand
Attachments:

More
03 Mar 2016 19:52 #70986 by OttoDidact
Ferdinand,

Latency can be a real pain. I usually get an office computer, mainly Dells, from the local university surplus. Fortunately they are cheap since they are old they tend to die after a while in the shop.

Max Jitter was up to 174000

That's enormous! The worst I've ever seen is half that, but It sounds like the new parts might have that in check. :) On this latest computer a software update two days ago halved it.

I also tried to do Gcode syntax highlighting on Notepad++ it was frustrating and I moved on. I still use it on Windows as it seemed to be the best of the bunch. My new LinxCNC install is on Debian so I'm getting used to Mousepad, I'll see if I can install Kate. I'd really like to be able to do some light programming at the machine like figuring out HAL files and some Python M files. Can you post the file here? I'm sure others will find it useful and help with the bug reporting.

What's your spindle drive setup? I have not attempted to do LinuxCNC controlled variable speed yet, especially since I've had two Minarik DC drives fail on my mill spindle. I made a simple power supply and it's running full speed now, which is OK since I'm mainly doing aluminum with 8mm or less cutters. But I sure have spent a bunch of time reading the forums here and at CNCzone and maybe some new eyes can help you figure it out.

Regards,
Otto

More
07 Mar 2016 16:09 #71166 by aer73
Hello

Somebody can tell me if is posible get that in Spanish language?
If is posible what are the steps to do?
Many thanks in advance.

Kindly regards.

More
07 Mar 2016 18:40 #71173 by FernV
Hi,

Locale files have not been included in this version since it is under development and updated/new files are sure to have many changes in displayed strings. Not that the application will have many changes but ALL the ini files will. Some files will be deleted. I think it would be a loss of time at this moment, developing better ngc files is at top in the priority list and I admit I still have a lot to learn about machining.

If you really need spanish language, command is ./features.py -t . A file will be created and you edit using poedit. If you still want to do it at this stage, I can give you more info.

Regards
Fern

Time to create page: 0.328 seconds