Snuggly's Plasma Build

More
04 Dec 2018 01:13 #121791 by snugglylovemuffin
Lol, nothing wrong with a bit of sarcasm. I need to find the Tommylight z axis that Grotius was talking about.

However, I am starting to become more proficient with HAL; not completely useless anymore :D

I'll post back here soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2018 02:43 - 04 Dec 2018 20:48 #121796 by snugglylovemuffin
audio is a bit too low, but you'll be able to see what my THC is doing. I tried to bump the "arc ok filter time, didn't seem to help much at all. If it's a power supply/ wiring problem, I can solve it tomorrow; however just in case it isn't; anyone got any ideas what could be causing this?

Of course, I'll pull up the hal config tomorrow to check the pins. It's f-off cold down here in NM, so I'll do that tomorrow. I attempted to modify the thc_stepper.hal file straight to my hm2 pins, didn't take. Looks like I've got options.

@andypugh, got any sarcasm to warm the soul?

### video below ###
Last edit: 04 Dec 2018 20:48 by snugglylovemuffin.

More
04 Dec 2018 19:53 #121818 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build
"Video Unavailable" so you don't give me much to work with :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: snugglylovemuffin

More
04 Dec 2018 20:35 #121825 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build

"Video Unavailable" so you don't give me much to work with :-)

What no sarcasm? Honestly Andy, I do admire your patience, your ongoing willingness to help and your contributions to LinuxCNC.

More
04 Dec 2018 20:47 #121827 by snugglylovemuffin
Accidentally clicked "private" instead of unlisted. I'm attaching my current machine files with updated timing and ferror settings. I was able to get the z axis to jog through the UI; so it's a wiring problem. I'm tracking down the culprit but it's trial and error because I'm not proficient with HAL yet.

Attachments:

More
04 Dec 2018 20:56 #121829 by snugglylovemuffin
I'll buy you guys a beer when it's done ;)

More
04 Dec 2018 21:04 - 04 Dec 2018 21:04 #121830 by andypugh
Where is the arc-ok signal coming from?
(Is the GUI LED connected to ArcOK (raw from the plasma) or FilteredArcOK?

This bit is definitely wrong
#net StepY stepgen.1.step => parport.0.pin-04-out
#net DirY  stepgen.1.dir  => parport.0.pin-05-out

net StepZ stepgen.03.step => hm2-7i96.0.stepgen.03.stepspace
net DirZ  stepgen.03.dir  => hm2-7i96.0.stepgen.03.dirsetep
#####################################################################
####### EDIT THE PIN NUMBER TO ENABLE DRIVES IF NEEDED ##############
#####################################################################
net Xen => hm2_7i96.0.stepgen.03
#################### E O F ##########################################

But it is so wrong that I would expect it to crash the config. I think you need to just delete that file, and remove it from the [HAL] section of the INI.
Last edit: 04 Dec 2018 21:04 by andypugh.

More
04 Dec 2018 21:23 #121832 by snugglylovemuffin
Arc-OK is coming directly from the proma 150. Plasma isn't even plugged in, just running the 150's test mode, but yes the +/- is raw undivided voltage.

It does crash linuxcnc, because I modified the stepper TOMA files and these are what wires the joint to the THC (in that config); I figured that might be worth trying to edit. I will delete it. Halshow isn't showing any inputs when the THC is running, but I can actually manually jog the axis. I'm sure I can check the wiring for z-jog and wire that into the thc.hal... somehow.

More
04 Dec 2018 21:34 #121833 by andypugh
I think the confusion there is that with a parallel port connection you have to configure which parport pins the step and dir signals come out of. With a Mesa card such as your 7i96 that is set by the firmware, so the only HAL pins that need connecting are the stepper position command and position feedback. You also need to set the step time and space time, but that's it.
That weird bit of HAL there was attempting to connect a bit-type step pulse signal into the7i96 step length float signal. Not allowed, and wouldn't work anyway.

The THC HAL is a bit epic :-) I would need a lot of time to work out how that works, so for the moment let's just assume that it does if the inputs are right.

So, the question then is if the Arc-OK signal really is doing wild things...

More
04 Dec 2018 22:12 #121836 by snugglylovemuffin
Tommylight suggested that I modify this particular stepper config, he hasn't been on in a few days though so we'll see if he can show us the way when he retruns. PCW warned that this file was complex. I tried simpler option like THCUD, which I might try revisiting, wasn't able to get any definitive answers on how to wire the pins though.

I was wondering that myself. Light on the proma is constant on, but as you saw, the pyvcp pin is blinking in time with the up/down signals.

@grotius built his external offsets branch on this, might see if he can shed some light on the potential problems.

In the meantime, if I can keep your attention Andy, I'd like to get some more information on the THCUD system. Let me grab my modified files for this

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds