Snuggly's Plasma Build

More
06 Dec 2018 15:50 #121955 by islander261
Replied by islander261 on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build
If you can jog the z axis without a following error then the stepgen to THC.hal to motion feedback connection must be ok as that is the only way they are connected in the files I sent you. Now what the THC.hal does with the feedback when driving the z axis while cutting is another thing. None of the THC parts will work until you get the correct signals at TB3.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2018 21:29 #122068 by snugglylovemuffin
I checked the resistance between the TB3 and the Proma. I checked the resistance on the pins and they were all under 2 ohms and they're all connected up properly.

pin7 = arc-ok
pin8 = down
pin9 = up
pin10 = common to ground

All of the inputs from the proma to the board are blinking in pyvcp while the LEDs on the proma are steady on/off; so there are two potential problems from what I can tell; either I need to debounce the signal inputs or change the ground coming off the 150's common pin, which is currently going straight to the PSU's ground.

I'll try the latter option first as I'm not fully aware of how to debounce the signals from the proma (I think Toma does have a function for that though, I'll check here soon)

More
08 Dec 2018 22:10 - 08 Dec 2018 22:28 #122069 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build
If you set for example 5 volt on the common line of the thc, in your case pin 10.
You get out :

pin7 = arc-ok ( +5v when triggered )
pin8 = down ( +5v when triggered )
pin9 = up ( +5v when triggered )

So common works like a relais. Try this yourself.
If you had a parport application, you would be building your next machine dude.

Keep up the good work !!
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Dec 2018 22:28 by Grotius.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snugglylovemuffin

More
08 Dec 2018 22:33 #122071 by snugglylovemuffin
I'll test the common to pin10.

Yeah I started this build with an arduino and a GRBL shield, then I learned about the HF start torch and that's what started me in on the Mesa board. Plus linuxcnc is really powerful software.

Next build will definitely start out with a healthy amount of lurking and planning.

More
08 Dec 2018 22:35 - 08 Dec 2018 22:43 #122072 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build
What the 7I96 input common (TB3 pin 12) connected to?

If you have the Proma common pin connected to the low side of the control power you would expect this kind of wiring:

+24V --> 7I96 input common

7i96input --> Proma Arc-ok

Proma common --> 24V power common
Last edit: 08 Dec 2018 22:43 by PCW.

More
08 Dec 2018 22:41 - 08 Dec 2018 22:42 #122073 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build
I think Grotius has solved your problem.

Looking at the proma manual its written for a parallel port system which usually switches active low.

The mesa cards are active high.

Now don't do this without confirmation from Tommy or Grotius as I don't want to blow up anything on your hardware but I think your Proma Common terminal should be connected to +24 volt (or what ever voltage you are using for input pins on your 7i96).

So then when the contacts in the Proma close, they will send +24v to your input pins.

Grotius, Tommy, I've never used a Proma. Is it OK to do this?
Last edit: 08 Dec 2018 22:42 by rodw.

More
08 Dec 2018 22:44 #122074 by PCW
The 7I96 isolated inputs are either active low or active high so either way will work

More
08 Dec 2018 22:58 #122075 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build

The 7I96 isolated inputs are either active low or active high so either way will work

Ah, the 7i96 manual says

The 7I96 has 11 isolated inputs and 6 isolated outputs. All 11 Isolated inputs have
a common pin. This common pin must be connected to ground for active high inputs and
connected to the I/O power for active low inputs. The 6 isolated outputs are completely
floating switches so can be use for pull-up/pull-down and mixed voltage switching.

So it sounds like there could be a wiring error. The Proma Ground should be attached to TB3 Pin 12 not to his Power supply GND (unless its connected to TB3 Pin 12).

More
08 Dec 2018 23:02 #122076 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic Snuggly's Plasma Build
Rodw and Pcw,

I had in my mind to also say 24 volt's. But after reading my post i thought. Maybe start with 5 volt....
This to protect snuggly from blowing up some thing's for second time.
I can't look in his wiring.... So i protect him with usage of 5 volt example's.

I have an idea to solve plasma startup's problem's like this.

Pcw send's me the best suitable ethernet card he has. Upt to 5 axis.

I provide the working plasma / oxyfuel grotius gui for mesa card's to be adapted to linuxcnc source code.

More
08 Dec 2018 23:07 - 08 Dec 2018 23:08 #122077 by PCW
There is no normal circumstance where you would wire the Proma common to the 7I96 input common

If you are using active low inputs you would wire the 7I96 input common to +12 or +24V
and connect the 7i96 inputs to the low side (common ) of the power source to activate
In this circumstance, the Proma common would be the power supply common

If you are using active high inputs you would wire the 7I96 input common to power supply common
and connect the 7I96 inputs to the power supply high side (+12 or +24V) to activate.
In this circumstance you would wire the Proma common to +12/+24V
Last edit: 08 Dec 2018 23:08 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds