DIY or how to build cnc plasma cutter machine, everything in one place

More
30 Apr 2020 18:11 #166234 by tommylight
This is an effort to gather as much info as possible in one place for those interested in building a DIY cnc plasma cutter, or retrofitting and old plasma machine. It includes some of the more detailed builds from this forum, plenty of info about mechanical design, motors, floating heads, grounding and shielding.
-- This is to improve the chances of people finding this on the web as a recent search brought to attention that most of the stuff here does not have " DIY, howto, build your own, plasma cnc information" or anything of the sorts, so i am using all the words i can think of (not much, i know, so i do need help from others, thank you ).
--Please do not discus or post here about builds or build problems, start a new topic for that. Post only links that might help during builds, have nice designs, have detailed logs, nice ideas, or similar!

-
Links:
-
Plasma cnc primer:
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plasma-cnc-primer.html
-
CNC Plasma cutters, general idea and a lots of info for building them:
forum.linuxcnc.org/plasma-laser/35349-op...ea-and-a-lot-of-info
-
Rods "Spaceship" Scratch built Plasma Cutter build, a diy build with lots of details and info on building your own cnc plasma cutting machine:
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/32029...-plasma-cutter-build
-
A2 MechShop Gantry Plasma Machine:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?GantryPlasmaMachine
-
Scratch Built 4' x 2' Plasma Table, a very nice smaller DIY machine:
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/33223...t-4-x-2-plasma-table
-
Plasma Table HAL example and a 9-part video series, very detailed instructions and nicely done videos:
forum.linuxcnc.org/47-hal-examples/38440...-9-part-video-series
-
3.5X1.5 Meters cnc plasma cutter, some ideas for reductions with rack and pinion drive:
forum.linuxcnc.org/plasma-laser/37691-3-...rs-cnc-plasma-cutter
-
15m Industrial Plasma Cutter, discussion and some ideas of building industrial machines and the differences in design and implementation:
www.forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxc...lasma-cutter?start=0
-
CNC plasma tube cutter, not much there but it is useful for getting a general idea for tube cutters:
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/35306-cnc-plasma-tube-cutter
-
Detailed log of building two identical machines with 3X2M and 2.5X1.5M cutting area, fully belt driven on all axis except Z that will use leadscrews, SBR 30 and SBR 20 supported round linear rails, high quality Lam Technologies drives, Mesa THCAD, Mesa 7i92, Sanyo stepper motors, etc :
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/38547...plasma-build?start=0
-
-If i missed something, please do add the links below.
Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvn4life1972, Himarc3D, tachoknight, luizdiefenbach

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2020 19:40 #166244 by rodw
I Think this DIY Plasma cutting machine thread about rack and pinon drives and gear reduction is worth including
forum.linuxcnc.org/30-cnc-machines/31509...-loaded-pinion-drive

I think Linuxcnc has the best DIY plasma cutting information available anywhere. If you follow these handy links, You will be able to make the best DIY plasma cutter out there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, thefabricator03, enocsoto

More
30 Apr 2020 21:30 - 14 Nov 2020 22:11 #166260 by thefabricator03
Ill put this here for now, but when I get a minute I will work with Rod to put it in the plasma primer,

CNC Plasma Motor Design Guide:

forum.linuxcnc.org/plasma-laser/38112-cn...lection-design-guide
Last edit: 14 Nov 2020 22:11 by thefabricator03.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Chris J

More
04 Jun 2020 22:22 - 04 Jun 2020 22:22 #170152 by thefabricator03
Last edit: 04 Jun 2020 22:22 by thefabricator03.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Chris J

More
04 Jun 2020 23:25 #170172 by tommylight

PlasmaC User Guide,
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plasmac-user-guide.html

Where was this when i made the original post? More importantly, where was my brain when i made the original post? :)
Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds