Controller hardware suggestions for first DIY build

More
24 Dec 2020 12:37 #193105 by tommylight

So a prox sensor needs +24v and -24v

I don't mean to be overly pedantic here but that would be 48V on the sensor. So just for the record -24V is not the same as 0V.
But yes I do realize that you mean the negative terminal of the 24V DC supply. ;)

That happens a lot on the net, shocking at times, but also reminds me of the time i was building high power audio amplifiers that used up to +-63V, so 126V in total at 15 or more amps, enough to void a person off of it's mortal coil ! :)
And since we withered off topic, DC is much more lethal than AC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2020 13:30 #193108 by Aciera
I actually beg to differ on that Tommy:

www.wikilectures.eu/w/Physiological_effect_of_electric_current

The effects of AC (alternating current) depends largely on frequency, low frequency tends to be much more dangerous than high frequency. AC with the same amperage and voltage as DC is more dangerous and provoke worse effects on the human body. Low frequency AC provokes muscle contraction (tetany) which can induce the "cannot let go" effect by freezing the muscles of the hand. This happens because the flexors of the hand are stronger than the extensors, so when an external electrical stimulation is applied, the flexors outdo the extensors. AC has a more of a tendency to induce heart fibrillation while DC makes the heart stop. That is why defibrillation equipment is DC, which stops the heart and gives a chance to recover.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
24 Dec 2020 13:51 #193111 by Clive S

Very cool. Not my fingers BTW.

As for Tommy, he is fluent in so many languages, it will take you all day to insult him!

To clean ??? :)
Yeah, but getting rusty as i have no way of using them here, and since i can not travel, not really learning any other.
For reference: Albanian (native), Serbo-Croatian, English (of course), German, Czech, and a bit of Italian, very little Turkish and Bulgarian.

Don't forget Gibberish and Double Dutch.

Merry Christmas

More
24 Dec 2020 18:43 #193141 by tommylight

I actually beg to differ on that Tommy:

www.wikilectures.eu/w/Physiological_effect_of_electric_current

The effects of AC (alternating current) depends largely on frequency, low frequency tends to be much more dangerous than high frequency. AC with the same amperage and voltage as DC is more dangerous and provoke worse effects on the human body. Low frequency AC provokes muscle contraction (tetany) which can induce the "cannot let go" effect by freezing the muscles of the hand. This happens because the flexors of the hand are stronger than the extensors, so when an external electrical stimulation is applied, the flexors outdo the extensors. AC has a more of a tendency to induce heart fibrillation while DC makes the heart stop. That is why defibrillation equipment is DC, which stops the heart and gives a chance to recover.

There are so many contradictory statements there that i am baffled !
Aciera, thank you, but definitely needs more research.

More
25 Dec 2020 03:54 #193165 by Aciera
Ha, yes just like most things in life the deeper we dig the more complicated it gets.

More
06 Jan 2021 02:33 #194183 by txtrone
I cleaned up some wiring and pneumatic plumbing that was not going to work out.

Also installed a larger cabinet for the power supply units.

Tomorrow, if nothing goes sideways, I do plan to finally install the proximity sensors.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, CarterKraft

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds