Controller hardware suggestions for first DIY build

More
15 Nov 2020 06:14 #189440 by txtrone

48v to DM542A . Connect the motor to the driver using a seperate shielded cable to each motor and the shield connected as I mentioned. Size the wires to carry the current given the length.

Then its just a matter of connecting +step & -step and +dir & -dir on the 7i76e to the DM542a. Hook up + to + and - to - for the step and direction signals

Do not use the DM542a ENA signal at all.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2020 17:34 #192840 by txtrone

And also yes, grab the Mesa common connector you linked to. You can connect your 24V logic power + and - to the separate halves and then you can patch the power to wherever you need to for any inputs or outputs. It makes for a very compact design.

When you say '24V logic power' do you mean power from the PSU that supplies 24V to my Field Power and also supplies the board with power? Should I connect the Mesa DIN rail common halves to the + and - coming from the field power terminal? or straight to the 24V PSU?

More
22 Dec 2020 19:45 #192852 by rodw
Sorry when I said Logic power, I should have said field power. Yes just connect the power supply to the BUS board and then patch across to the field power inputs. I used massive bus bars I could get locally as I had no idea those little Mesa parts existed. Its now super simple to wire in various relays and inputs via the bus bars
The following user(s) said Thank You: txtrone

More
22 Dec 2020 20:21 #192858 by txtrone

Sorry when I said Logic power, I should have said field power. Yes just connect the power supply to the BUS board and then patch across to the field power inputs.

Ok, so go from the 24v PS to the Mesa BUS bars, then from their to field power?

If that is correct, how then would I then connect an PNP-NO proximity sensor? I looked at Norbert's schematic for the PNP, but it only shows connections based on NC.

More
22 Dec 2020 21:04 #192860 by rodw
So a prox sensor needs +24v and -24v so put them to the bus bar and then the output goes to an input. It does not matter if its NC or NO.

I mounted all my sensors on the moving gantry so I bought a couple of DB9 break out board thingies in the control box and used 9 core shielded cable to run common +24V and -24V up to the gantry ends and to the Z axis assembly and ran the inputs back on the other wires. On the Z axis, I made my own breakout board
See my spaceship:
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/32029...-build?start=0#84602

And revised later
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/32029...uild?start=130#91031

And becasue I bought NPN sensors, I added pull up resistors on that board.

I cheated on the gantry ends and just used a terminal strip on both sides. You can see a cable going thru the gantry rail to the other side to another similar setup
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/32029...uild?start=150#95275

More
22 Dec 2020 21:20 #192863 by txtrone

So a prox sensor needs +24v and -24v so put them to the bus bar and then the output goes to an input. It does not matter if its NC or NO.

The spaceship is awesome! Also, FWIW, I enjoy telling my coworkers that I chatted with 'the Australian' and he explained it like this... me doing my best Australian accent

Would you mind sanity checking this for me? The blue and brown are the 24+ and 24- ... does it matter which is which? The black is the output wire that connects to the input on the Mesa card, right?

I am going to take the field wiring from the Mesa 7i76e and connect it to the Mesa din mounted 'common' bus bars. Then I will connect those bus bars to the 24v PSU. AND THEN I will connect these blue and brown wires to the 'common' bus bars, sound good?

More
22 Dec 2020 21:29 #192864 by tommylight

Also, FWIW, I enjoy telling my coworkers that I chatted with 'the Australian' and he explained it like this... me doing my best Australian accent

I also do that a lot, for plenty of Australians and from other countries, but i can not do accents, except say : iminem! :)

More
22 Dec 2020 21:36 #192867 by txtrone

I also do that a lot, for plenty of Australians and from other countries, but i can not do accents, except say : iminem! :)

hahaha ... glad I am not the only one!

Where abouts are you located?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
22 Dec 2020 23:19 #192896 by tommylight
In the middle of nowhere, near nothing !
In Kosovo.

More
23 Dec 2020 00:53 #192905 by txtrone

In the middle of nowhere, near nothing !
In Kosovo.

Whoa! I would not have guessed that, honestly thought you were from the states. I wouldn't know which language to start with for impressions.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds