Rods "Spaceship" Scratch built Plasma Cutter build

More
13 May 2017 09:08 #93126 by tommylight
tommylight replied the topic: Rods "Spaceship" Scratch built Plasma Cutter build
More toys! :)
Table looks nice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw
More
13 May 2017 09:23 - 13 May 2017 09:23 #93127 by rodw
rodw replied the topic: Rods "Spaceship" Scratch built Plasma Cutter build
Thanks Tommy, time will tell if it does the job.

I forgot to say I also purchased a touchscreen on Friday as well. I grabbed an Acer T232HL and it just worked in Linux Mint with no configuration at all. And perfect calibration too!
Last Edit: 13 May 2017 09:23 by rodw.
More
14 May 2017 03:27 #93171 by rodw
rodw replied the topic: Rods "Spaceship" Scratch built Plasma Cutter build
Hmm, note to self... Never hit a CNC machine with a hammer. To fit the gantry to the end pieces, it was pretty tight so gave it a good few belts with a heavy copper dead blow hammer. It loosened every bolt in the whole assembly so I spent an hour or so reassembling it last night when all I wanted to do was do a little bit of wiring.

This morning, I got the remote pendant jogging all axes.

This is a bit of a cut above the wired and USB ones as it has a dedicated receiver and external antenna that wires in to the control box.

I specified that the axis selection and scale switches use binary outputs and the scale switch slotted straight into my mux4 code posted earlier in this thread. That code does not use an axis selection switch though. Whilst I could have used another mux4 to select just the X, Y & Z axes, to get the full 6 axis selection, I needed 3 bits of input. I was not really sure how to take this from 3 bits to a single enable bit per axis but after a bit of reading, I came up with a pretty simple solution. select8 is a component that does exactly that. It takes an S32 input (from 0-7) and turns on a bit output for that number which can be used for axis.n.jog-enable. So I used a mux8 component to decode the switch into a number between 0 and 7. Then convert the output from float to S32 and send the result to select8 which in turn enables the relevant axis.

Anyway it all worked perfect. I am going to play with ilowpass as the motion is a bit jerky but there is an example in the docs on how to do that.

Who would have thought I could work out a solution on my own a few months ago?

I still have to connect up a few more pendant switches and the estop button but that should be relatively easy from here. There are 3 custom buttons, and the estop relay.

One thing I don't understand is an e-stop chain and how hal treats it. I need to get my head around that.
More
14 May 2017 04:21 #93175 by racedirector
racedirector replied the topic: Rods "Spaceship" Scratch built Plasma Cutter build
Nice work matey, you'll be cutting in no time.

Do you have a link to that pendant? Love the look of it and might replace my other wireless one.
More
18 May 2017 14:02 #93349 by bevins
bevins replied the topic: Rods "Spaceship" Scratch built Plasma Cutter build
Nice work.

I like that pendant!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds