having trouble linking the 7i96 and configuration.

More
21 May 2021 01:41 #209715 by phillc54

Its entirely up to you to design a reliable system. There are many views on how to do this becasue there are several solutions and different views on the optimal component values.

FWIW, if I was building a new table with an Arc OK contact I would do it the simplest effective way which is keep the default dbounce delay of 5 and add a 0.1μF capacitor across the contacts, bases covered...
If any issues arose then I would increase the dbounce delay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S, snowgoer540

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2021 08:00 #209740 by rodw

Its entirely up to you to design a reliable system. There are many views on how to do this becasue there are several solutions and different views on the optimal component values.

FWIW, if I was building a new table with an Arc OK contact I would do it the simplest effective way which is keep the default dbounce delay of 5 and add a 0.1μF capacitor across the contacts, bases covered...
If any issues arose then I would increase the dbounce delay.

It would be nice if this solution proposed by PCW was tested on a real machine that had experienced reliability issues and confirmed to work. The pulldown resistor has certainly been proven to work. When I spent some time researching wetting currents and relays, I could not find any data that supported this technique. I have the utmost respect for PCW, but component value selection is not yet clear.

I don't know anybody who has done this yet so to me its just a hypothesis in need of testing.

More
21 May 2021 23:46 #209811 by phillc54

It would be nice if this solution proposed by PCW was tested on a real machine that had experienced reliability issues and confirmed to work.

If you looked at what it does then you should be able to see that it will work.

​The pulldown resistor has certainly been proven to work.

Of course it will work, no-one has said it wouldn't, although your component selection doesn't seem optimal, the resistance is way less than what is required, hence a lot of heat generated for no good reason.

In this plasma journey we are all on, there are a lot of unknowns and a lot of things still to discover. None of us can afford to have a closed mind. To have one and be vocal about something to an extent that its "my way or the highway" is not helpful as it just provides static and misinformation for those that follow.

I agree.

More
22 May 2021 00:50 #209816 by tommylight
Why does every topic about plasma on this forum has to come to this same issue lately ?

More
28 May 2021 20:38 - 28 May 2021 20:39 #210560 by mal136
Alright so everything is wired up, MESA 7i96 is receiving 5v power, brand new ethernet cable is connected and the lights are on on the 7i96 board. I set W5 & W6 jumpers to enable the address " 10.10.10.10 " and i've configured this in the PncConfig wizard and it's not moving any axis's and when i open the desktop shortcut created by the config to open "axis" , i get an error(attached in screenshots below) and it doesn't open .

2 things are fairly clear, the mesa board doesn't seem to be connected and i dont know why but the config is not correct....
i've followed every instruction online from the wiki and linuxcnc doc's and still having trouble. i really dont understand what's going on..?

i'd appreciate some help on this, please please!

Attachments:
Last edit: 28 May 2021 20:39 by mal136. Reason: gramar

More
29 May 2021 04:02 #210586 by rodw
Fast forward to 16 minutes in and I explain how to set this up.

You have the IP addresses set up wrong.

More
30 May 2021 17:10 #210700 by andypugh
hm2_eth: rtapi_app_main: Connection refused (-111).

Looking on this forum:
forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...tion-refused?start=0
A suggestion is that is happens if the PC and the Mesa card are given the same IP address.
The 7i96 os on 10.10.10.10, but what IP address did you set the PC to?

More
31 May 2021 17:36 - 31 May 2021 17:36 #210808 by mal136
To make things easy i switched the w5 and w6 jumpers to down positions to make the ip address 192.168.1.121 and it still doesn't work. I watched RodW's video and i cannot see what settings he is messing with so i cannot emulate the same steps, also it seems he's using Mint, not LinuxCNC 2.8 like i am using. I can't even find ipv4 settings in linuxCNC....

why aren't these instructions for connecting the 7i96 put somewhere in the linuxcnc doucments and why is it so difficult to find this information? i have spent 12hours+ going through threads and getting no answers specific to my case.

Can someone give me a complete idiots guide on what to do here?

I am pretty competent about most things but i really don't understand what to do here. i have little knowledge of using terminals. its been a week or longer now of no moving machine and its all wired, its just linuxcnc and IP configuration that's left.
Last edit: 31 May 2021 17:36 by mal136.

More
31 May 2021 18:16 #210810 by PCW
1. I would leave the 7I96 at 10.10.10.10
2. What does the command "ip a" report?

More
31 May 2021 18:30 #210813 by mal136

Alright i have set jumpers back to "10.10.10.10" positions

what steps do i take from turning on the board to getting it connected?

Do i setup a wired connection?
(i already tried this with static ip adress "10.10.10.10" and it didn't work, it will ping "10.10.10.10" but doesn't connect to the 7i96, i've even tried the discovery board option in PncConfig and it never can find the board.
Attachments:

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.451 seconds