Probe test problem

More
27 Sep 2019 16:56 #146413 by xunil
Probe test problem was created by xunil
Hi folks-

I'm getting back on the job of making my plasma table work with PlasmaC; I just updated to the latest code from master, and I've run into a couple snags.

I'm having a problem with the Probe Test button in Axis. First it took me a few dozen tries to realize that you have to _hold down_ the Probe Test button to get it to do anything. Once I figured that out, the torch would jog downward, contact the material I'd set up, and then throw an error that the ohmic sensor had been detected before it was expected. I suspect I've done something wrong with height setting. I have homing and limit switches on the Z axis, so homing is accomplished in the usual LinuxCNC manner. I tried touching off to the material by eye, but Probe Test still throws the same error. Can someone tell me the correct procedure?

I'm also getting the following error when I start LinuxCNC with my PlasmaC config; I suspect this is due to my configs being out of sync with the latest code from master. Has this been seen before? I've attached the full run output in case anyone is curious.
gladevcp: trouble looking for handlers in 'plasmac_config': int() argument must be a string or a number, not 'NoneType'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/plasma/linuxcnc-dev/bin/gladevcp", line 129, in load_handlers
    objlist = h(halcomp,builder,useropts)
  File "./plasmac_config.py", line 347, in get_handlers
    return [HandlerClass(halcomp,builder,useropts)]
  File "./plasmac_config.py", line 343, in __init__
    self.check_hal_connections()
  File "./plasmac_config.py", line 313, in check_hal_connections
    level = int(self.i.find('TRAJ', 'SPINDLES')) or 1
TypeError: int() argument must be a string or a number, not 'NoneType'
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2019 23:14 #146440 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Probe test problem
You don't need to hold the Probe Test button, in your ini file you need something like:
BUTTON_n_CODE = probe-test 30
See Probe Test in the PlasmaC docs

The probe error indicates that you don't have Probe Height in the Config Panel set high enough.

It looks like you need to run the Configurator in Upgrade Mode linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plas...isting_configuration

More
08 Oct 2019 22:28 - 08 Oct 2019 22:28 #147503 by xunil
Replied by xunil on topic Probe test problem
Phill-

I ran the Configurator in upgrade mode and it did successfully clear up the Python stack trace. However I'm still puzzled by Probe Test. The config has a line that says:
BUTTON_3_CODE = probe-test

And the Probe Test button shows up, but a single click and release causes the Z axis to move down slightly and return to its starting position. Holding it down is the only thing that gets longer motion out of it. I have made a video of what I'm seeing, linked below. Please forgive the messy cable arrangement and the fact that the probe tip bumps into some stock on its way down - this machine is still very much in development.

Probe Test demo

I understand what you said about the Probe Height not being set high enough, and where to change that; I did notice that if I change the number in that panel, click Save, and then click Reload, the number goes back to what it had been before I changed it. This is probably a peripheral issue.

I wonder if the Z axis on my machine is configured incorrectly. I have it homing to the top limit switch (that is, at maximum Z+ travel). I then bring it down to the bed slats and use Touch Off on the Z axis and set the offset to 0. Pardon me stating the obvious, but to be clear, this means that the bed is at 0" and the top of the torch travel, where it will run into the Z+ limit switch, is at around 1.5" (the torch deliberately doesn't have much travel, I don't expect to cut anything over 1/4" thick on this machine).

Should, instead, the top of the Z travel be 0", and the slats be -1.5"? I tried to experiment with the ini file to move the Z travel into the lower-right quadrant of the Cartesian plane, but wasn't successful, so I was unable to test this theory.

It's probably obvious since I'm using homing against limit switches, but, the machine is built with open loop steppers, not servo motors or hybrids.

Any advice appreciated, and thank you for all of your hard work on the plasmac component!
Last edit: 08 Oct 2019 22:28 by xunil.

More
08 Oct 2019 22:35 #147504 by phillc54
You need to specify a value after probe-test like:
BUTTON_n_CODE = probe-test 30
This will probe down, raise to Pierce Height then wait for 30 seconds before raising to start position.

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plas...de.html#_button_code

More
08 Oct 2019 22:38 #147505 by phillc54

I understand what you said about the Probe Height not being set high enough, and where to change that; I did notice that if I change the number in that panel, click Save, and then click Reload, the number goes back to what it had been before I changed it. This is probably a peripheral issue.

I forgot to answer...

I pushed a fix for that yesterday.
Until you update when you change a parameter by keyboard, press enter to make the entry stick.

More
09 Oct 2019 07:10 #147537 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Probe test problem

Should, instead, the top of the Z travel be 0", and the slats be -1.5"? I tried to experiment with the ini file to move the Z travel into the lower-right quadrant of the Cartesian plane, but wasn't successful, so I was unable to test this theory.

The +ve should be at the top (ie going -ve down) So home the machine then take the Z down to near the bottom "touch off to 0" then take the Z back to near the top . Then in the config panel set the probe height (this actually sets the height above the slats +ve number the the Z will rapid down to before the start of the probe) The final probe speed is controlled by the probe-speed box in the config panel.

As has been said by Phil (I had the same prob) after a setting in the config panel you have to press enter and then save. This has now been fixed (Thanks Phill)

I am at the same stage as you. :)

More
31 Dec 2019 23:37 #153648 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Probe test problem
I am having similar issues. I get "float switch detected while moving to probe height.". I zero'd the Z axis below the slats, and jogged up to +2". My configuration has the probe start height at 1". It goes down to about .5" or so and hits the limit switch and gives me an error.

I am wondering if I have my Z axis configuration backward? Right now Z homes at the top, and everything from there would be travel in the negative direction.

As can be seen in the attached picture:

MIN LIMIT = -4.7
MAX LIMIT = 0.001
HOME OFFSET = 0.0

Any help is greatly appreciated, I am so close to making sparks.

More
31 Dec 2019 23:47 - 31 Dec 2019 23:50 #153653 by phillc54
Your Z home should be very near the top of the travel you wish to use.

After homing don't jog Z, let PlasmaC handle all Z motion.

If for some reason you need to jog Z you should Put it back to where you started.

Edit: this may help linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plas...de.html#_coordinates
Last edit: 31 Dec 2019 23:50 by phillc54.

More
01 Jan 2020 00:22 #153666 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Probe test problem
I’m not completely following. Are you saying there’s an issue with my .ini?

I tried starting linuxcnc, homing, and then clicking probe test. It comes down hits the metal, trips the switch, gives the aforementioned error, waits the 30 seconds and returns to the top of the travel.

Something definitely isn’t right but I don’t know what it is or how to fix it.

More
01 Jan 2020 00:30 #153672 by phillc54
So when you home, Z is about 4.5" above the slats.

You press Probe Test and Z moves down at the rapid rate, hits the sheet then gives the "float switch detected while moving to probe height" error

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds