Started Getting Valid Arc Lost Error

More
22 Oct 2019 18:43 #148554 by MakingStuff
I have recently started getting the error "SAV Valid Arc Lost Program Paused". It doesn't even retry to start the torch again. When I get the error, the Z axis also travels to to top limit. Then If I try to restart the gcode, the Z axis crashes into the workpiece like it has lost it's zero position. Luckily my torch will just pop out of it's holder instead of breaking something. Then all of the axis stop moving all together (even in joint mode) and the only way to recover is to exit out of LinuxCNC and restart it.

2 questions

1) Why is this arc error happening and shouldn't plasmaC at least retry to start the torch x amount of times before pausing the program?
2) What is going on with my Z axis?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2019 22:27 #148562 by phillc54

1) Why is this arc error happening and shouldn't plasmaC at least retry to start the torch x amount of times before pausing the program?

This error should only happen during a cut if the arc is lost. Then the program should pause and the Z axis will move to the top. It will then wait until either a Resume or Abort command. It will not try to restart unless A Resume comand is given.
If a Resume command is given then Plasmac should probe for the material to begin the cut again.

2) What is going on with my Z axis?

I don't know. Can you post the GCode you were running.

Have you updated within the last 24 hours? If so you need to run the Configurator in Upgrade mode.

More
22 Oct 2019 23:25 #148569 by MakingStuff

Have you updated within the last 24 hours?

I updated LinuxCNC using the synaptic package manager on Sunday. I have not run the configurator since I converted my base machine to plasmaC.

Also, how do I issue a resume command? Wouldn't it be better to at least retry to start the torch if the arc is lost? The old THC-Toma setup I was using in LinuxCNC 2.7 did this and it worked fine for my setup.

Bob

More
22 Oct 2019 23:28 #148570 by phillc54

Also, how do I issue a resume command?

Hit the Pause button again.

Wouldn't it be better to at least retry to start the torch if the arc is lost?

I think it is safer that the operator has to do this, it may be a plasma machine failure or a torch failure that needs attending to.

More
23 Oct 2019 00:11 #148574 by MakingStuff

Hit the Pause button again.

Yeah I had a brain fart there for second. I was thinking there was a special gcode command to make it resume. I tried hitting the pause button and was able to get it working.

I also found that if the float switch is triggered before the z axis reaches probe height, that the machine stops with that error. But then all of the axis lock up and cannot be moved. I can't even jog the z-axis up to clear the float switch. The only way to get it to reset without restarting LinuxCNC is to re-home the machine. My z-axis has about 1 inch of float so it will drag the torch tip across the sheet metal to home. Once all of the axis re-home, I am able to jog all three axis again. Is this something I'm doing wrong or is it a bug?

More
23 Oct 2019 00:29 - 23 Oct 2019 00:32 #148575 by phillc54
If Z is probing down and the float is activated before reaching probe height then Z should go to the top and you should get the following error:
float switch detected while moving to probe height
program is paused

Then a resume should restart the probe sequence.

You shouldn't jog Z at all, PlasmaC will control all required motion of the Z axis.

EDIT: I think you should try to reduce the amount of float travel, you don't need much.
Last edit: 23 Oct 2019 00:32 by phillc54.

More
23 Oct 2019 03:23 #148579 by MakingStuff

I think you should try to reduce the amount of float travel, you don't need much.

It only has to move .1 inch to trip the float switch but the overall travel distance it will move before bottoming out is about an inch.

More
23 Oct 2019 03:58 #148580 by phillc54

It only has to move .1 inch to trip the float switch but the overall travel distance it will move before bottoming out is about an inch.

OK, that should be no problem then...

More
16 Apr 2020 17:44 #164173 by alexandrub
I have a similar problem. I receive an valid arc lost error at the finish of the cut, not while cutting. The setup is with an powermax 45xp and thcad10 with powermax rs485 comunication. Today i need to do more little hole on a 2mm sheet. Until today the arc lost error was rarely.Which you think may be the cause and what is the condition for "valid arc lost"

Thank you.

More
16 Apr 2020 17:48 #164176 by tommylight
Set the OK high volts to a higher value.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds