Setting up a plasma cutter and looking for some help.

More
01 Apr 2020 17:04 #162359 by Birdman3131
So this is the mag head. Currently looking to see where to put the break away switch.

While looking for a viable break away switch I did find a stack of dc opto relays So thats good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2020 19:16 #162480 by Birdman3131
Quick question. Can the breakaway and home switches be the same? I am not using limits on z.

The switch on that linear stage is a www.ia.omron.com/product/item/2229/ which senses when something is passing through its slot. I plan on attaching a piece to the head so that it is in the slot all but the very top of Z. Only time it should come out of the slot is if it breaks away or during homing. This sounds viable but I figured id ask before doing it.

More
02 Apr 2020 20:05 - 02 Apr 2020 20:06 #162489 by rodw
There is a pin joint.N.homing which goes true when homing.
I would try using and2 with your input and this pin and use the output as input for the homing signal

Typos excluded, something like this (excluding loadrt and addf lines)
net mysensor <= mypin
net mysensor => and2.0.in0

net ishoming <= joint.3.homing
net ishoming => and2.0.in1

net zhome <= and2.0.out
net zhome => joint.3.home−sw−in
then use the mysensor signal for the float switch input

HINT: I always like to check the function of a new pin (eg. joint.3.homing) in hal show before doing something like this to make sure it functions as expected.

If you are already using and2, you will need to add an extra instance of it which might change the index (eg. and2.0 might become and2.1)
Last edit: 02 Apr 2020 20:06 by rodw.

More
02 Apr 2020 22:35 - 03 Apr 2020 06:03 #162505 by phillc54

If you are already using and2, you will need to add an extra instance of it which might change the index (eg. and2.0 might become and2.1)

Using names for them sorts this out, it makes for easier reading as well.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2020 06:03 by phillc54.

More
06 Apr 2020 19:12 #162956 by Birdman3131
Ok. FINALLY!!! Got to the point where I am running the plasmac configurator.

I am confused by one thing though. It lists Ohmic probe enable HAL pin as bit in and Ohmic probe HAL pin as bit out. However I was under the impression from the ohmic probe diagram that it was the other way around and the enable should be an output and the ohmic probe should be an input.

1drv.ms/u/s!Anw0aD8CF6Z_huJmsRidTnIu4XHoGQ?e=A9hV0b is a sreenshot.

More
06 Apr 2020 21:14 #162965 by rodw
I think that is written from Plasmac's perspective where it needs in input to receive your output

More
06 Apr 2020 21:51 #162973 by Birdman3131
Well I gave it what is asked for and it crashed on start up. Swapped the 2 pins in the connections file and it now loads.* But hitting ohmic test does nothing. No movement or anything. (Hitting probe test does but as I don't have a float switch it just pushes into the table.)

Got the breakaway working. Ended up using a not instead cause I was not understanding your code at the time although I am fairly sure I know where I messed up and could make it work now. but its working so im not gonna mess with it.
1drv.ms/u/s!Anw0aD8CF6Z_huJsgwNfyZmV8594Gg?e=RgZjNG is my files. Maybe y'all can see why my ohmic refuses to do anything.

*90% sure thats true. Small chance the error was for the messed up encoder but I think I had that error after the pin swap. (Got the encoder fixed other than the fact I need to get it reading volts rather than freq but I assume thats in the setup instructions somewhere.) But the power is off to the machine now so ill have to check in the morning.

More
06 Apr 2020 23:37 #162980 by phillc54
Do you have Ohmic Probe Enable checked on the Run Panel?

More
06 Apr 2020 23:41 - 06 Apr 2020 23:42 #162981 by phillc54

I am confused by one thing though. It lists Ohmic probe enable HAL pin as bit in and Ohmic probe HAL pin as bit out. However I was under the impression from the ohmic probe diagram that it was the other way around and the enable should be an output and the ohmic probe should be an input.

HaHA, so it does. That just goes to show that not too many folk take notice of what is in front of them.
I will fix that...

In my other reply I should have said that Ohmic Test does not cause any motion, all it does is turn on Ohmic Enable and test if the is a signal on Ohmic Probe.
Last edit: 06 Apr 2020 23:42 by phillc54.

More
07 Apr 2020 01:21 #162994 by Birdman3131
That makes sense. I will give it a check tomorrow.

As for paying attention to that part it has been one of the bigger headaches of this ordeal. For being an electronics tech and doing this sort of stuff for 10+ years now wiring stuff like this up is still not all that mentally easy.

At some point i will post a video of what all I have done on this for y'all to laugh at. Gotta get it working first though.

1drv.ms/u/s!Anw0aD8CF6Z_huJutaFU_u7f0dOkLw?e=JLSKH3 Incase y'all are interested this is my breakaway/home switch. Ill glue it later but for now magnets work well enough for testing. It comes out of the slot switch for just a little bit to allow it to home at the very top of the travel but stays in it the rest of the time so as to be a breakaway switch. (Just realized this might not work as planned. Hopefully the plasma arc does not trigger it.)

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds