Z axis height at end of cut

More
12 Jun 2020 09:57 #171237 by tommylight

Tommy you forget that Plasmac strips out any Z axis motion code. I have not tried but I don't think I can simply add some g code to go to top of the Zaxis.

You are right, Although it was not stripping negative values till someone pointed that out (me :) ).
So that would leave the high probe height, and that for you would be to slow.
Oh well......
On a side note, is there a pin that can be used when M2 or M30 is in gcode ?
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/m-code.html#mcode:m2-m30
If there is a simple way of setting the Z axis to go to max height at M2 ........

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2020 10:07 #171238 by phillc54
I have mine set up so Z home is 0.001mm below Z max.
When a job starts it rapids to X/Y position then Z moves down to probe height then probe begins.
After first cut Z moves to safe height then the next cycle begins. After the last cut I rapid to X0/Y0 which happens at safe height. When it gets to X0/Y0 then Z moves back up to home height.
If you move Z to a lower position before you start a job then that is the Z position it will move to at the end of the job. That is the external offset being reset to zero.

More
12 Jun 2020 10:07 #171239 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic TZ axis height at end of cut

If there is a simple way of setting the Z axis to go to max height at M2 ........

Even if this is not possible, I have every confidence in Phill"s Magic wand.

More
12 Jun 2020 10:12 #171240 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic TZ axis height at end of cut

I have mine set up so Z home is 0.001mm below Z max.
When a job starts it rapids to X/Y position then Z moves down to probe height then probe begins.
After first cut Z moves to safe height then the next cycle begins. After the last cut I rapid to X0/Y0 which happens at safe height. When it gets to X0/Y0 then Z moves back up to home height.
If you move Z to a lower position before you start a job then that is the Z position it will move to at the end of the job. That is the external offset being reset to zero.

See Tommy, I told you he had a magic wand!

Phill, does that move to the Z max with a jog wheel count or does it need to be a g code command?

More
12 Jun 2020 10:15 #171241 by phillc54
If you mean the Z move in the last sentence, then any Z move.
When the job finishes the external offset needs to be reset to zero so Z will end up at the same height as when the job started.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
12 Jun 2020 10:46 #171244 by tommylight

When the job finishes the external offset needs to be reset to zero so Z will end up at the same height as when the job started.

Oh that is so true, that reminds me when i was setting up my Z axis and at the end of the gcode it would trip the Z axis limit/home !
So that is already implemented.
Phill has also a crystal ball, not just the wand ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
13 Jun 2020 00:52 #171349 by phillc54

Again this is putting me in a bad position, as i am really against adding features that are pretty much useless to most users of PlasmaC and complicating everything from setup to support for Phill.
That should be easily done in post processor by adding G0 or G1 and a Z value to go to at the end of the gcode file.
Or as i have done it, set the probe heigh to something lower than the Z axis max limit. I have it at 150mm and the probe speed set to 4m/m so it is very fast at moving up and down, but the very slow retraction speed still remains, making all the efforts to build a very fast machine void. This is an issue when using floating switch, not so much when using ohmic probing, as ohmic needs to be done much slower. Most users of PlasmaC use floating type probing, not ohmic.

2mm slow probe
Warning: Spoiler!

2mm fast probe

11mm slow probe

11mm fast probe

More
13 Jun 2020 02:13 #171357 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Z axis height at end of cut
I might not be seeing it but I think probing should be a two part process. Slam down fast, back off slower until it breaks, then re probe slow with accuracy.

I'm not sure if the reprobe just looks for the contact again or it backs off. I think its a complete cycle again.

More
13 Jun 2020 02:15 #171358 by phillc54

I might not be seeing it but I think probing should be a two part process. Slam down fast, back off slower until it breaks, then re probe slow with accuracy.

That is exactly what it does if it senses the material before probe height is reached.

If probe height is reached before the material then it completes the single probe at probe speed.

More
13 Jun 2020 02:31 #171359 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Z axis height at end of cut
Why do we have two different conditions/methods?
Which is faster the one triggered above probe height or the one where probe height is reached?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds