Torch Breakaway and Torch Pulse

More
16 Jul 2020 06:54 #174807 by Clive S

snowgoer540 quoted: I dont understand why we can get rid of the "ohmic:type". Every time I start to wrap my head around HAL, I get turned around. Also, Rod mentioned signals and pins. Stupid question, I'm sure, but how do you know which is which? I wish there was a visual or diagram or something to make this easier to understand. Maybe once it clicks, I'll make one...

Here you go.

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/hal/intro.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, snowgoer540

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2020 07:19 #174809 by phillc54

snowgoer540 quoted: I dont understand why we can get rid of the "ohmic:type". Every time I start to wrap my head around HAL, I get turned around. Also, Rod mentioned signals and pins. Stupid question, I'm sure, but how do you know which is which? I wish there was a visual or diagram or something to make this easier to understand. Maybe once it clicks, I'll make one...

Here you go.

I have not seen that diagram (Figure 1) before, it is a very good and simple explanation.

More
16 Jul 2020 10:53 #174825 by snowgoer540

Here you go.

Thanks Clive! This must have recently changed. I've definitely read the HAL intro (I usually try to hit up the google before I ask here) but I've never seen that example before, it is pretty good!

one question I do have from it, for the signal-blue example, it is currently written as:
net signal-blue    component.0.pin1-in      component.1.pin1-out
could it also be written as:
net signal-blue    component.1.pin1-out    component.0.pin1-in     
meaning, does the order matter?

More
16 Jul 2020 11:01 #174826 by snowgoer540

While we are exercising our democratic rights:

If we do an error message should it be a popup or one of the standard GUI error messages.

I would think the standard GUI error message is ok, I think that's what most everything already uses anyways, right? The only thing I could maybe see is doing Plasmac specific errors as popups, and linuxcnc errors as the standard GUI error messages so new users could easily tell where the error was coming from... but since I think everything is already standard GUI, maybe that's overkill/not necessary.

I should also mention the when I did the interlock I included the float switch as that also behaves as a breakaway when not probing.
I also included the ohmic probe but I am not 100% sure if it should be included.

I agree with the breakaway and the float switch, because it is physically moved off of the switch, so there would likely be some reason for that.

The ohmic probe should not be included because one reason to pulse the torch is for those with a water table to clear the water out of the torch tip after pressing the "ohmic test" button, and seeing that the ohmic sense is tripped (due to water).

More
16 Jul 2020 11:06 #174827 by phillc54

The ohmic probe should not be included because one reason to pulse the torch is for those with a water table to clear the water out of the torch tip after pressing the "ohmic test" button, and seeing that the ohmic sense is tripped (due to water).

But you wouldn't press both at the same time. But then again you probably would :)

More
16 Jul 2020 11:06 #174828 by phillc54
No, which I think is a shame and makes it confusing.

More
16 Jul 2020 11:38 #174829 by snowgoer540

But you wouldn't press both at the same time. But then again you probably would :)

haha maybe I'll hook up 2 mouses!

But if I press ohmic test, and it shows the ohmic is tripped, and then press pulse torch, it isnt going to pulse like I need it to to clear the water because the ohmic is tripped...

More
16 Jul 2020 11:41 #174830 by snowgoer540

Yes, it does, but knowing that order doesnt matter helps me wrap my head around it. Now I just need a way to keep straight which are pins, which are signals, which is in and which is out. But really I guess in and out dont matter so long as the two are connected.

More
16 Jul 2020 11:48 #174831 by phillc54

Yes, it does, but knowing that order doesnt matter helps me wrap my head around it. Now I just need a way to keep straight which are pins, which are signals, which is in and which is out. But really I guess in and out dont matter so long as the two are connected.

If the first creation of a signal forced using:
net  signal_name  from_out_pin  to_in_pin
then I think there would be no confusion, all subsequent uses of that signal would always be:
net signal_name  to_in_pin

More
16 Jul 2020 11:54 #174832 by phillc54

But if I press ohmic test, and it shows the ohmic is tripped, and then press pulse torch, it isnt going to pulse like I need it to to clear the water because the ohmic is tripped...

Ohmic shouldn't be tripped unless ohmic-enable is true which is when probing or ohmic testing

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds