Beginner Plasmac Questions

More
21 Aug 2020 20:32 #178955 by AgentWD40
Whelp, inkscape 0.92 that I had installed would crash with gcode tools, inkscape 1.00 has an error that wont "process for plasma", dxf2gcode AND sheetcam crashes before it even opens! ... nothing to do with plasmac of course, I just felt like b*tching :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2020 21:13 #178956 by tommylight

Whelp, inkscape 0.92 that I had installed would crash with gcode tools, inkscape 1.00 has an error that wont "process for plasma", dxf2gcode AND sheetcam crashes before it even opens! ... nothing to do with plasmac of course, I just felt like b*tching :)

LOL, you're on a roll .... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: AgentWD40

More
21 Aug 2020 21:19 #178957 by hermann1976
do you have linux or windows as operating system where you want to install dxf2gcode?

I installed it on Linux, the same PC where LinuxCNC is running.
I have to admit it's a bit tricky.
Please follow the installing instruction. Also be sure that you have all the nesessary runtime dependencies for Unix mashines.
sourceforge.net/p/dxf2gcode/wiki/Installation/
File to download:
sourceforge.net/projects/dxf2gcode/files...0191025.zip/download

More
21 Aug 2020 23:27 #178968 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Beginner Plasmac Questions

That is in regard to holes, but what about coming into curves in general? Does the automatic mode only apply to holes?

Slow down can be set for either holes only or for both holes and arcs.

More
22 Aug 2020 00:47 #178970 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Beginner Plasmac Questions
I think if you are doing one offs, Inkscape may work OK. But if you need to cut multiple parts in a nest (thats me), Sheetcam is purpose built and not expensive.
My workflow is. In office: Design part in Fusion360, save to DXF, Upload to Google drive in the absence of a network, Go to Plasma machine, download DXF from Google Drive, Open in Sheetcam, output gcode to Linuxcnc folder, open in Linuxcnc, cut the part(s).

I could just as easily run Sheetcam on my Windows PC and just send the Gcode to the Plasma machine.

But to get going, I would ignore all the automatic modes and just get some gcode created and cut until you start to see the issues then gradually add rules and auto features.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
22 Aug 2020 21:06 #179036 by tommylight

File to download:
sourceforge.net/projects/dxf2gcode/files...0191025.zip/download

Just gave it a try and it is disappointing to put it mildly ! It was a nice single py file to double click on and it would run, now errors galore !
Oh wait, tried this and it works !

An older version, but better than nothing.
Attachments:

More
23 Aug 2020 00:39 #179054 by snowgoer540

dxf2gcode

Tormach uses this in PathPilot, mostly would be used for engraving on a mill. With their new 1300PL it will get a bunch more use I'm sure. I never knew it was a shareware.. I always thought they wrote it.

More
23 Aug 2020 06:39 #179069 by tommylight

dxf2gcode

Tormach uses this in PathPilot, mostly would be used for engraving on a mill. With their new 1300PL it will get a bunch more use I'm sure. I never knew it was a shareware.. I always thought they wrote it.

I did use it at the time of Ubuntu 10.04 and LinuxCNC 2.5 ( was called EMC2 then) but since gcodetools for Inkscape came out, i never used it again. It does work and it is simple to use.

More
23 Aug 2020 06:41 #179070 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Beginner Plasmac Questions

dxf2gcode

I did use it at the time of Ubuntu 10.04 and LinuxCNC 2.5 ( was called EMC2 then) but since gcodetools for Inkscape came out, i never used it again. It does work and it is simple to use.

It did use to be, I can't get it to run now...

More
23 Aug 2020 06:52 #179073 by tommylight
The screenshot is from a Linux Mint 20 box, it runs.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds