Big Ohmic Problem ???

More
04 Oct 2020 15:21 #184830 by CBEAR
Replied by CBEAR on topic Big Ohmic Problem ???
By the way, the colors mean absolutely nothing, I should have used different colors for each wire, but I didn't think about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2020 15:31 #184831 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Big Ohmic Problem ???

As close to torch and table as possible.

What size would you recommend?

More
04 Oct 2020 15:33 - 04 Oct 2020 23:38 #184832 by snowgoer540

By the way, the colors mean absolutely nothing, I should have used different colors for each wire, but I didn't think about it.

Remove the 24- to shield wire.

EDIT: Per @PCW (much smarter with electronics than I :), remove the Shield to Ground wire, leave the -24 to shield.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2020 23:38 by snowgoer540.

More
04 Oct 2020 15:48 #184833 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Big Ohmic Problem ???

If you connect the THCAD shield to "Table" you must _not_ have a shield connection to Earth ground
(except via the table connection)

Other wise you could have full plasma current flow in the sense wiring

Well shit. I will remove the blue connection between the -24v and the shield.

The frame/table can stay grounded, correct? Basically the diagram below:

I would do the opposite: Remove the Earth ground from the shield and leave the blue wire (table connection)
as this removes the ground loop but provides better noise immunity

More
04 Oct 2020 17:00 #184848 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Big Ohmic Problem ???
@snowgoer
I think 500mA should be plenty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
04 Oct 2020 17:20 #184851 by snowgoer540

If you connect the THCAD shield to "Table" you must _not_ have a shield connection to Earth ground
(except via the table connection)

Other wise you could have full plasma current flow in the sense wiring

Well shit. I will remove the blue connection between the -24v and the shield.

The frame/table can stay grounded, correct? Basically the diagram below:

I would do the opposite: Remove the Earth ground from the shield and leave the blue wire (table connection)
as this removes the ground loop but provides better noise immunity

Ok, will do. Thanks for the help.

I do have my THC shield tied with the Ohmic shield too. Is that ok?

More
04 Oct 2020 20:42 #184869 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Big Ohmic Problem ???
Just to clarify, the recommended Meanwell HDR-15-24 is double insulated and is not earthed on the mains side. Also it a Class II isolated device and has isolation resistance that allows it to withstand 500V DC which is what the THCAD can withstand overvoltage wise.

If you substitute another power supply, be sure you understand what isolated means and choose an appropriate substitute. Correctly constructed, there is no need to use the isolating relay shown on the AC side. I would not reccommend adding any fuses etc. Just trust the circuit which PCW oversaw when we got this going...

More
04 Oct 2020 21:40 #184874 by CBEAR
Replied by CBEAR on topic Big Ohmic Problem ???
Thanks for the reply Rod. I was using that exact power supply when it caught fire. To be safe I ordered this power supply to replace the other one. Would this one work? Or should I return this one and order the other one again? MEAN WELL MDR-20-24 AC to DC... www.amazon.com/dp/B005T6RB16?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

More
04 Oct 2020 22:51 #184879 by snowgoer540

The power supply SHOULD be grounded (i.e. for example the metal chassis). Just make sure that the COMM or 0V on the secondary or output side is not connected to earth ground. You can check that with an ohm meter (although really one should use an isolation tester given the high voltages involved in plasma cutting)
And again its usually not wrong to use fuses.

[edit]
To me it actually would make a lot of sense to put a fuse in either sense line. That way even if you have the workpiece not connected to ground earth AND have a ground fault in the sense wiring the cabling is protected from overcurrents.

This is the part that is confusing to me. My table frame is grounded to the electrical box which is grounded to the 110v main ground. As such, so is the water pan.

That means, no matter what, once I hook the -24v to the table, it's grounded by proxy. I can confirm that my power supply IS isolated (there is no continuity between the ground lug, and -24v). However, if I check between -24v and ground, I have continuity (4-5ohm).

I did order the double isolated HDR series PS Rod suggested (somehow I missed that recommendation when I started down this path), but I dont see how that's going to help anything, because as I've said the -24v side is tied to ground through the frame. I also clipped my ground wire that was going to the shield as per Rod's original diagram, based on PCW's new advice.

What I don't want is for my stuff to catch on fire.

More
04 Oct 2020 22:52 #184880 by snowgoer540

I would not reccommend adding any fuses etc.

Hard for me to stomach that advice when a guys wiring caught fire...

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds