Big Ohmic Problem ???

More
05 Oct 2020 17:27 #184987 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Big Ohmic Problem ???

Well the moment you have a short and that plasma current is coming down that sense line pretty much everything is going to blow. I haven't done the math as to how much sense current there is during normal operation. No need to split hairs. You could even use a 5 Amp fuse if your wiring is of decent size to handle that.
So a variety of fuses would be fine I think.

Copy that. They’re 15w power supplies at 24v which gives .625A if they were giving all they got. So .5A would be super safe but maybe 1A is a reasonable place to start.

Thanks again for the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2020 12:51 #185599 by CBEAR
Replied by CBEAR on topic Big Ohmic Problem ???
I got everything re wired and I threw a fuse inline on both Ohmic wires. It's working just like it did before, but I still have a lingering voltage problem. After I cut once my Ohmic voltage will go from 0-22-23+ volts and stay there. It takes a long time for it to bleed down from there. It will probe correctly the first time and then it's usually above the threshold after that. Any ideas? When I take the hyperthern work clamp off of the material it drops the voltage back to zero and will probe correctly again over and over again without a problem.

More
10 Oct 2020 12:56 #185600 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Big Ohmic Problem ???
I'll try and look at that tomorrow. I seem to remember I had that issue at one stage and may have made some changes to the component.

It would be useful if you could do a halscope plot of the ohmic volts. Can you increase your threshold?

More
10 Oct 2020 15:56 #185616 by Uthayne
Replied by Uthayne on topic Big Ohmic Problem ???
If you pulse the torch to get airflow running, does it lower the voltage more quickly? A really wet torch can stay above 20V but will lower with airflow in my experience.

More
12 Oct 2020 12:40 #185826 by CBEAR
No, it doesn't make any difference. I actually took my consumables out to see if that would make a difference, and it didn't do anything. I was curious if they were grounding to the shield somehow, but it doesn't appear so.

More
14 Oct 2020 00:07 #186042 by CBEAR
I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!... I think. My hypertherm ohmic retaining cap isn't completely isolating the outside from the inside of the cap. I have literally spent the better part of 20 hours chasing my wiring down, trying to find shorts, etc. I had finally had it with trying to figure out why my voltage kept going up and staying past the threshold rather than dropping back to zero. I was giving up on it temporarily so that I could just get back to running the machine so I put the non Ohmic hypertherm retaining cap back on it and I was just going to use the float switch from here on out. When I did that I took the Ohmic wire and touched it to the shield to see if it would bring the voltage back up above 0volts. When I did that the voltage didn't flinch so I jogged it to the table and held it to the shield again and got a very stable 24v. I ziptied the Ohmic wire to the shield of it, and made some cuts and it's working exactly how it's supposed to for the first time! It goes back down to 0v after each cut rather than climbing with each cut to above the threshold and causing issues. I also think that this was giving me bad offsets with my cut height sometimes. I'm glad to at least think that I have it figured out for now, we will see as time goes on!
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, Clive S, rodw, snowgoer540

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds