Suggestion QtPlasma and PlasmaC

More
03 Mar 2021 22:45 #200951 by crowloy
I use a program called lightburn for my CO2/diode lasers. One feature that I use alot is the frame button. This basically runs the nozzle around what you are cutting in a square to make sure you have room on the material to cut that particular item. I noticed linuxcnc has a extents display on screen giving the location of the start as well as the length/width. I know I missed this feature as I was cutting some items and missed the plate on the one

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2021 23:39 #200956 by snowgoer540
Interesting. Normally I just look at the preview window and jog the torch around the extents of the program's movements (white/grey lines) and then jog the torch down at each critical point and make sure it will have enough material to eat.

Seems to work well. Though it's not automated like you're saying.

Take this for example, the yellow is my jog path prior to running the program:

Attachments:

More
04 Mar 2021 00:30 #200970 by tommylight
Pretty sure this was discussed here before, but my google-foo if failing me ! :)
Also pretty sure there was some kind of solution, most probably python checking the extents in the gcode file and generating the test pattern.

More
04 Mar 2021 00:34 #200971 by phillc54
I have seen that request before but forgot about it...

So there is no Z motion, just a rapid to X/Y start point then X/Y motion in a rectangle around extents at current material speed?

More
04 Mar 2021 00:54 #200973 by snowgoer540

I have seen that request before but forgot about it...

So there is no Z motion, just a rapid to X/Y start point then X/Y motion in a rectangle around extents at current material speed?

I dont want to speak for OP, but it might be useful to just do it at cut height?

Maybe just treat it like a dry run, but instead of dry running the gcode, it just dry runs a rectangle around the program extents?

More
04 Mar 2021 01:28 #200974 by tommylight

......but it might be useful to just do it at cut height?

I would not, it will bump the torch to the material, very bad material here.
For what is worth, i have 5 Euro (very expensive, i know) "cross" laser pointers on all new machines, makes life much easier.

More
04 Mar 2021 01:54 #200976 by snowgoer540

......but it might be useful to just do it at cut height?

I would not, it will bump the torch to the material, very bad material here.
For what is worth, i have 5 Euro (very expensive, i know) "cross" laser pointers on all new machines, makes life much easier.

How do you do a dry run then?

I think I might get one of those lasers soon. Phill has a pretty nifty touchoff tool now that's native to QtPlasmaC. Seems pretty useful.

More
04 Mar 2021 01:58 #200977 by cmorley
I wonder if the 'gcode properties' info is useful for that - you could use the info to build a macro to rapid around the perimeter...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
04 Mar 2021 02:01 #200978 by phillc54

I wonder if the 'gcode properties' info is useful for that - you could use the info to build a macro to rapid around the perimeter...

Thanks Chris, that is helpfull, I didn't know about that...

More
04 Mar 2021 09:14 #201005 by tommylight
I just watch the laser while jogging manually, leaving the torch up.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.491 seconds