Suggestion QtPlasma and PlasmaC

More
04 Mar 2021 09:47 #201009 by Clive S

I just watch the laser while jogging manually, leaving the torch up.

+ one , the red laser is so handy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2021 13:43 #201021 by andypugh
I don't think that LinuxCNC knows the program extents.
Some GUIs (including Axis) do a dry run (Using the SAI?) to work them out.

It is probably just as easy for a small Python routine to parse the G-code looking for X and Y commands, store the max and min and then MDI a rapid square.

More
04 Mar 2021 21:11 #201046 by crowloy
exactly. With a laser, you don't move Z once your distance from nozzle to material is set. for me that's 10mm with my current lense. Now lightburn has an option where you press the shift key and then the frame button. this causes the laser to fire (diode) as it's going around the extents. This is probably not something we'd want with plasma, although turning on the laser pointer while framing would be something.

My computer's are about 10-20ft away from the laser and plasma machines. So the framing option would be ideal especially if there was a pin that would cause the frame to happen. it could then be turned on with my whb04 wireless.

Let's say you have a piece of metal which has a location that looks like it might fit the current project but the piece of metal needs to be turned in order to make the cut. You could do this in your design program and then fudge around with program extents and jogging or press a button to frame the project allowing you to make the adjustment's to get it on the metal easily. I don't know about where you are, but sheet metal is expensive and I know I want to use EVERY piece I can to the fullest.

More
04 Mar 2021 21:38 #201052 by phillc54

This is probably not something we'd want with plasma, although turning on the laser pointer while framing would be something.

That is the way I was thinking, enable the laser pointer pin then move around the bounding rectangle also taking into account the laser pointer offsets.

More
06 Mar 2021 05:36 #201156 by rodw

This is probably not something we'd want with plasma, although turning on the laser pointer while framing would be something.

That is the way I was thinking, enable the laser pointer pin then move around the bounding rectangle also taking into account the laser pointer offsets.

This sounds perfect!

More
09 Mar 2021 03:40 #201511 by phillc54

I use a program called lightburn for my CO2/diode lasers. One feature that I use alot is the frame button. This basically runs the nozzle around what you are cutting in a square to make sure you have room on the material to cut that particular item. I noticed linuxcnc has a extents display on screen giving the location of the start as well as the length/width. I know I missed this feature as I was cutting some items and missed the plate on the one

This has been added to QtPlasmaC
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/qtpl...ml#qt_button-framing
The following user(s) said Thank You: EW_CNC, crowloy, Franklin

More
09 Mar 2021 05:00 #201514 by robertspark
nice helpful addition, thanks

More
09 Mar 2021 13:49 #201543 by tommylight

nice helpful addition, thanks

+1
Although i never use it on Plasma machines, but i do use it for small engravers i build and there it is missing ! :evil:

More
10 Mar 2021 18:21 #201670 by Uthayne
Although tracing a rectangle is helpful, it doesn't really benefit for tightly packed shapes which are not rectangular. I, too, like to maximize the amount of cuts I get out of a particular piece of material so I will often rotate the gcode to make sure it fits in the perfect spot left on the material. In this case, a rectangular trace will not tell me if it is actually safe or not. A trace of the last cut will do so.

I suggest leaving the rectangular option for quick checks, but also including the option to trace all of the X/Y movements after the last M03 command to M05. This assumes that the last M03 is for the perimeter of the part. I realize this doesn't help when there are multiple parts being cut in a single job, that's where the rectangular trace will be better, or a dry run of the entire job will need to be done.

More
10 Mar 2021 18:42 #201678 by tommylight
Clicking on the outline of the last cut then right click on the gcode line > run from here will do that perfectly, just disable the torch beforehand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, rodw

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds