New set of problems

More
21 May 2024 20:20 #301119 by Teknic_Servo
Replied by Teknic_Servo on topic New set of problems
Hi acourtjester and tommylight, I want to quickly chime in here and provide some background information (I’m an Applications Engineer with Teknic). All ClearPath products are 3-phase BLDC servo motors with closed-loop control via an integrated servo drive and encoder. Teknic does not manufacture or sell any stepper motors, but I understand the misconception from looking only at the torque-speed curves. ClearPath-SDSK servos were designed to be a cost-effective upgrade from stepper systems, and as such were also designed to have torque-speed curves that look like a stepper. You can see this illustrated if you compare the torque-speed curve of this SDSK “stepper killer” servo with its SDHP “high power” variant:
teknic.com/model-info/CPM-SDSK-2321S-ELN
teknic.com/model-info/CPM-SDHP-2321S-ELN/

The SDSK has roughly the same peak power as its continuous power (173 W), while the SDHP has a significantly higher peak power (332 W). However, these two servos have the exact same motor and same drive technology (closed-loop, vector torque control). The SDSK is a price-reduced option for applications that don’t require the all the peak power of the SDHP.

As for the actual issue, I’d be happy to help troubleshoot. When the servo has oscillations like in acourtjester’s video, it’s usually caused by one of two things: 1. The servo is being commanded to move like that, and it’s simply following its command, or 2. The servo is not properly tuned, causing it to have difficulty smoothly following its command. You can use the software oscilloscope in the MSP application to examine the commanded velocity and determine which is the case. Then we’ll know where to look next.

Best regards,
Matt C. -Teknic Servo Systems Engineer
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2024 22:58 #301124 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic New set of problems
Thank you for the explanation, much appreciated, still:

ClearPath-SDSK servos were designed to be a cost-effective upgrade from stepper systems, and as such were also designed to have torque-speed curves that look like a stepper.

Why?
It does not make sense to cripple a perfectly good servo system like that, it just does not, not design wise, not financially and not usability wise.
Maybe you have your reasons, and the one above might just be one of them, so again thank you for taking the time to explain it.

More
24 May 2024 03:23 #301282 by RNJFAB
Replied by RNJFAB on topic New set of problems
I know this is a bit old, but to me your voltage looks very low. So when the THC kicks in it could be diving to try and get this voltage.

Just a thought.

More
24 May 2024 15:16 #301317 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic New set of problems
Voltage to low = torch goes up
voltage to high = torch goes down.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds