(SOLVED!!!) Probe Basic - rotary axis jogging

More
27 Oct 2021 03:38 #224465 by spumco
James,

This sounds excellent.  I've opened the vcp editor but only to have a look around and try to get a feel for 'this button is called this and does that' sort of thing.

One thing I'm not clear on - don't want to break anything - is when I run $ editvcp probe_basic from the terminal, exactly what am I opening?  Is there one 'master' collection of screen elements that will affect all LCNC configs, or does this open one 'copy' (for lack of a better term).

I'd like to fiddle around, but only on a copy of something obviously.

-R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2021 06:31 #224476 by Joco
You are opening the ui file from where ever you installed probe basic.   IF you went down the git clone path and installed that using the pip installe --editable .  approach then you are opening THAT ui file. You are not touching the config in your linuxcnc/conf directory.
So you can muck about with the UI then reset back to original by discarding all the changes made, assuming you have not done a git commit

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers - J.

More
28 Oct 2021 04:54 #224544 by Joco
qtpyvcp master branch now has support or a new machine action:
machine.jog.set-angular-speed-percentage

If you use an action slide with this action it will perform in the same manner as the linear version. In the case of Probe Basic you can add a hidden slide with this action and using signals from the existing slider have the hidden one slaved off the existing linear. This means moving that single slider will drive the % of jog against the MAX_ANGULAR_VELOCITY and MAX_LINEAR_VELOCITY as set in the config INI file.

For angular axis you should be setting DEFAULT_ANGUALR_VELOCITY and MAX_ANGULAR_VELOCITY in the config ini.

Cheers - James.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anfänger, spumco

More
30 Oct 2021 01:28 #224685 by spumco
James,

This sounds great and i think I get it conceptually, but not sure about actual execution.

Do I need to update PB since my installation was from a few days ago?  If so... how do I update it?  The old version installation script had a nice one-button update feature but the py3 master version with LCNC RIP doesn't seem to have that anywhere.

Assuming I need to (and do) update, the new action slide is added through QT editor, right?

Thanks,
Ralph

More
30 Oct 2021 02:15 #224689 by Joco
Ralph - you will need to update the qtpyvcp framework.  I believe this only in the master branch.

And you will need to open PB in the QT editor.  Your would normally use the editvcp command that comes with the framework.

More
30 Oct 2021 02:27 #224690 by spumco
I've opened the QT editor, so I'm good to get started once I've updated qtpyvcp.  But how do I update qtpyvcp?  I'm still very new at Linux OS, and the QtPyVCP web page doesn't have instructions on updating.

Thanks for your patience.  I'm picking this stuff up slowly, but seem to run in to knowledge gaps that are likley very, very basic to most users.

More
30 Oct 2021 03:21 #224697 by Joco
how did you install qtpyvcp?   If this is all py3 based I assume you have cloned the git repo?

if so all you need to do start a cli terminal, cd to the directory you cloned qtpyvcp into then issue:
git pull

More
30 Oct 2021 04:03 #224699 by spumco
Yes, I cloned the git repository according to the installation instructions recently posted by Spi:

git clone git://github.com/kcjengr/qtpyvcp qtpyvcp
qtpyvcp master is already Python 3, no need to check out a branch
cd qtpyvcp
This is the part I haven't been able to figure out an elegant solution for
    featherpad setup.py
    Enable line numbers in: Options-> Line Numbers
    Modify line #62 to read version='0.4.0',
python3 -m pip install --editable .
cp ~/qtpyvcp/scripts/.xsessionrc ~/

I'll have a go at 'git pull' in the /qtpyvcp directory first thing after I get back in town.

Thanks again
-Ralph

More
31 Oct 2021 05:34 - 31 Oct 2021 05:34 #224750 by Joco
Why are you doing this change?
Modify line #62 to read version='0.4.0'
Last edit: 31 Oct 2021 05:34 by Joco.

More
31 Oct 2021 15:11 #224772 by spumco
As I understood it from the post, if the specific qtpyvcp version isn't specified the installation defaults to to the previous version which isn't compatible with py3.

Beyond that, I was just pushing the 'I believe' button and following the directions.

-Ralph

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds