(SOLVED!!!) Probe Basic - rotary axis jogging

More
04 Nov 2021 02:24 #225189 by Joco
Here is the snippet out of the sim.qtpyvcp xyz-metric.ini file I am using.
[DISPLAY]
DISPLAY = qtpyvcp --log-level=DEBUG 

DEFAULT_ANGULAR_VELOCITY = 12.0000
MAX_ANGULAR_VELOCITY = 180.0000
MIN_ANGULAR_VELOCITY = 1.6667

Having the debug level set is useful as when linuxcnc is run from commandline you can see a lot of state changes. Including those relating to the sliders.

As you say, all in machine units/sec.

You might need to crack open designer and see what action text is in those A jog buttons. It is possible they are hard setting that 100 speed. Otherwise I will look later after work (in about 3-4hrs).

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2021 03:35 #225193 by spumco
Thanks for the debug tip, that helps.

Other than the text, the A-axis buttons are identical to the other axis buttons in QT designer.

Here's the debug terminal output when with the startup error message:

[qtpyvcp.app.launcher][CRITICAL]  Unhandled exception in action_slider.py line 31 (launcher.py:37)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mill/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qtpyvcp/actions/__init__.py", line 61, in bindWidget
    method = getattr(method, item)
AttributeError: type object 'jog' has no attribute 'angular_speed_percentage'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mill/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qtpyvcp/widgets/input_widgets/action_slider.py", line 31, in actionName
    bindWidget(self, action_name)
  File "/home/mill/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qtpyvcp/actions/__init__.py", line 66, in bindWidget
    raise InvalidAction("Could not get action method: %s" % item)
qtpyvcp.actions.InvalidAction: Could not get action method: angular_speed_percentage

Poking around a bit...I'm beginning to get suspicious.  The machine_actions.py (with the new angular percentage setting) in the above folders doesn't match the newer one in qtpyvcp/qtpyvcp/actions folder.

I really don't understand the qtpyvcp arcitecture, but could it be that when I start PB, qtpyvcp is calling up the 'old' machine_actions.py file - resulting in the error above and no angular jog response from the slider?

More
04 Nov 2021 04:07 #225195 by Joco
Can you please remind me how you installed qtpyvcp?
The steps I would expect are:
1. cloned the qtpyvcp rep using git to a folder somewhere under your home directory.
2. cd into this git repo directory
3. issued the command:
python3 -m pip install -e .

This will make an editable install. So that when you for a 'git pull' any updates take immediate effect.

If you did not do the above then you should uninstall qtpyvcp using pip then follow steps #2 and #3.
python3 -m pip uninstall qtpyvcp

More
04 Nov 2021 11:36 #225229 by spumco
James,

Here's how it was installed:

Yes, I cloned the git repository according to the installation instructions recently posted by Spi:

git clone git://github.com/kcjengr/qtpyvcp qtpyvcp
qtpyvcp master is already Python 3, no need to check out a branch
cd qtpyvcp
This is the part I haven't been able to figure out an elegant solution for
    featherpad setup.py
    Enable line numbers in: Options-> Line Numbers
    Modify line #62 to read version='0.4.0',
python3 -m pip install --editable .
cp ~/qtpyvcp/scripts/.xsessionrc ~/

I'll have a go at 'git pull' in the /qtpyvcp directory first thing after I get back in town.

Thanks again
-Ralph

Looks very much like what you posted, with the exception of the specific version number Spi indicated in his instructions.

More
04 Nov 2021 19:14 #225251 by Joco
I suspect your pull will complain as you have changed a file.  You will likely need to discarded that edit, then git pull. If you are using gitkraken discarding the change is easy.  You will need to google how to do from cli. 

That change was probably done so that the version of qtpyvcp on install was set at that version number.  This will likely be due to PB wanting a version of qtpyvcp >= 3.x

i think that value is held wherever the install gets put inside .local.   So discarding the change in the repo will have no impact unless you do a reinstall at some point.  

More
04 Nov 2021 20:51 #225266 by spumco
I've no idea what 'gitkraken' or 'cli' are.

So should I uninstall and reinstall without the edit?

More
04 Nov 2021 21:56 #225280 by Joco
My suggestion would be to cd into the qtpyvcp directory enter this command:
git reset --hard
git pull

This will dump any of your uncomitted changes.  And now that you have PB and qtpyvcp already installed the version checks shouldn't be needed unless you do another install process.  As I understand it using 'git pull' will not trigger these version checks again.

More
04 Nov 2021 23:16 #225297 by spumco
Sorry to take up so much time with this, but I did the git reset --hard and git pull and there's no change.  Same error message from qtpyvcp on startup.

More
05 Nov 2021 00:41 #225317 by Joco
could you post as an attachment your machine_actions.py file

You might need to add .txt to the end to make the forum happy

More
05 Nov 2021 00:48 #225318 by spumco
machine_actions01.txt is located in /qtpyvcp/qtpyvcp/actions/
machine_actions02.txt is located in /.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/qtpyvcp/actions/
Attachments:

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds