Probe_Basic Install

More
17 Feb 2022 20:55 #235164 by jkkicks
Probe_Basic Install was created by jkkicks
Hi yall, please excuse my newbiness as im learning all there is with linuxcnc. Just starting my new build and have gotten stumped here.

Installed debian10 linuxcnc iso on my intel nuc last night direct from Lcnc downloads page. Installed it once using graphical and once following a recent video tutorial from Robbie walker on youtube. Everything seems to go exactly to plan and matches 100% with what his video shows. I use the probe basic quick installer and I get an error window and it wont load. Axis works fine but probe basic just will not work. Ive tried installing via dev install aswell, using my linux knowledge to patch software problems I can figure out. Only thing ive been able to do is boot the probe basic ui designer, though it did throw a few codes.

Help me please! im tired of reinstalling the OS, and dont want to do it for a 6th time!

Heres the output from following Robbie Walkers video. The video in question is here:

Error comes up at the end when launching LinuxCnc and choosing Probe_Basic from launcher.{

Traceback (most recent call last):File "/home/cnc/.local/bin/probe_basic", line 10, in <module>sys.exit(main())File "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/probe_basic/__init__.py", line 20, in mainqtpyvcp.run_vcp(opts, VCP_CONFIG_FILE)File "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/qtpyvcp/__init__.py", line 27, in run_vcprun(*args, **kwargs)File "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/qtpyvcp/app/__init__.py", line 129, in runlaunch_application(opts, config)File "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/qtpyvcp/app/launcher.py", line 66, in launch_applicationloadPlugins(config)File "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/qtpyvcp/app/launcher.py", line 222, in loadPluginsregisterPluginFromClass(plugin_id=plugin_id, plugin_cls=cls, args=args, kwargs=kwargs)File "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/qtpyvcp/plugins/__init__.py", line 71, in registerPluginFromClassplugin_cls = getattr(importlib.import_module(modname), clsname)File "/usr/lib/python2.7/importlib/__init__.py", line 37, in import_module__import__(name)File "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/qtpyvcp/plugins/file_locations.py", line 11, in <module>from pyudev.pyqt5 import MonitorObserverFile "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyudev/__init__.py", line 48, in <module>from pyudev.core import Context, EnumeratorFile "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyudev/core.py", line 39, in <module>from pyudev.device import DevicesFile "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyudev/device/__init__.py", line 26, in <module>from ._device import Attributes, Device, Devices, TagsFile "/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyudev/device/_device.py", line 37, in <module>from six.moves import collections_abcImportError: cannot import name collections_abc
}

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2022 21:45 #235179 by robertspark
Replied by robertspark on topic Probe_Basic Install
I suspect you are missing the following qtpyvcp dependencies:

www.qtpyvcp.com/install/pypi_install.html
sudo apt install python-pyqt5 python-pyqt5.qtquick python-dbus.mainloop.pyqt5 python-pyqt5.qtopengl python-pyqt5.qsci python-pyqt5.qtmultimedia python-pyqt5.qtwebkit qml-module-qtquick-controls gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad libqt5multimedia5-plugins pyqt5-dev-tools python-dev python-setuptools python-pip git:

and:
sudo apt install qttools5.dev qttools5-dev-tools python-pip

I suggest that installing the above may sort your issues.....

More
17 Feb 2022 22:04 #235185 by jkkicks
Replied by jkkicks on topic Probe_Basic Install
Thanks for your quick response. Ive rerun both those scripts a few times now. Output is always the same. It isnt a problem with those dependencies as far as I can tell.

"0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded."

Also installed python 3's pip and ran:
"python3 -m pip install qtpyvcp"
to see if that helps anything along.

Im still assuming its some problem with qtpyvcp because running
"editvcp probe_basic"
returns:
"bash: editvcp: command not found"

Ive done everything by the book and not sure what else I could be missing.

Robbie recently responded to a similar comment on his video regarding a problem basically identical to mine . He responded with.

"The root issue seems to be a missing upstream python file that provides the collections_abc name which is the abstract base class for collections. I'm not positive but that might not exist in Python 2.7 by default."

His solution was the same as listed above, still to no solution.

Can anyone provide any more insight? Or help me ask the right questions to get this figured out.

Thanks

More
17 Feb 2022 22:31 #235188 by Donb9261
Replied by Donb9261 on topic Probe_Basic Install
Do

pip3 install qtpyvcp

If you get a bash error you do not have python3 installed correctly or at all.

""/home/cnc/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyudev/device/_device.py"" tells you that you are trying to use python 2.7 packages for a Python 3 project.

PyQt5 REQUIRES python3 packages. Most likely above 3.8. 3.9 is stable and so is 3.10.

Also you must manually copy the xsession script to you home folder just as it says. Log out, log back in and then call editvcp. Other wise editvcp is not in your path. There are instructions at qtpyvcp.com on this basic install pattern.

Lastly, Mint 19 works with probe basic but I am unsure which version you need to roll back too to get editvcp version to match.

Start with the basics first. Correct your package installs. Always use pip3 for package installs. python3 -m pip install fails at times. Just use pip3 if you already have python 3 installed correctly. You can verify using

python3 -V

If you come back with a bash error, python3 is not installed.

python -V

and you get a version number back showing python 2. That is your issue most likely.

Re-install your OS. The BEFORE you do anything else, install python 3 correctly. Also ensure you have pip3 installed correctly.

There is a way to symlink python3 commands and pip3 commands to python and pip commands but I found that to be unreliable at best.

Python3.9~ is not compatible with any prior versions. Python3-dev allows for some backwards compatibility but limited. Although you must use all the -dev requirements to use editvcp.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Just an aside, I was never able to get Probe Basic to install on Debian 11 Bullseye. Not compatible. I do not use Probe Basic as I build my own UI systems. I am sharing the latest version as I build it. You can find it in the latest posts. Link below.

forum.linuxcnc.org/qtpyvcp/45026-qtpyvcp...-hmi-styling-project

More
17 Feb 2022 22:35 #235190 by Donb9261
Replied by Donb9261 on topic Probe_Basic Install
You can install python 2.7 versions of PyQt5 but you will also have to install older versions of qtpyvcp to get the correct .so files for 2.7.

A little research on that should help. go to qtpyvcp github and find an older version. Which one exactly... Don't know.

More
18 Feb 2022 01:54 #235205 by jkkicks
Python3 is most definitely installed. according to pyqtvcp i removed python2 install.

I followed the instrucions on getting the .xsession file moved. Debian file explorer wouldnt allow to file to be directly copied so I used cp from command line. I also verified in file explore and with ls to show it has been copied succesfully.

Now... calling editvcp results:

{
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/cnc/.local/bin/editvcp", line 11, in <module>
load_entry_point('qtpyvcp', 'console_scripts', 'editvcp')()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 489, in load_entry_point
return get_distribution(dist).load_entry_point(group, name)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2793, in load_entry_point
return ep.load()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2411, in load
return self.resolve()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2417, in resolve
module = __import__(self.module_name, fromlist=, level=0)
File "/home/cnc/qtpyvcp/qtpyvcp/tools/editvcp.py", line 53, in <module>
from qtpyvcp.utilities.logger import initBaseLogger
File "/home/cnc/qtpyvcp/qtpyvcp/utilities/logger.py", line 20, in <module>
from linuxcnc import ini
ImportError: cannot import name 'ini' from 'linuxcnc' (unknown location)
}

uhhhhhh. Tired of this headache already LOL

More
18 Feb 2022 01:58 #235206 by jkkicks
also another thing i just noticed. after doing all that the applications window/ cnc/linuxcnc is gone... only options now are documentation and G-code Quick-Reference. Guess its time to reinstall OS

More
18 Feb 2022 03:03 #235207 by FlyingAMortgage
Replied by FlyingAMortgage on topic Probe_Basic Install
I'd recommend starting from scratch. I can't reproduce your error. Sorry. I wish I could think of something more helpful.

More
18 Feb 2022 03:09 #235208 by FlyingAMortgage
Replied by FlyingAMortgage on topic Probe_Basic Install
Additionally you mention using your linux experience. That's great, but I've found that sometimes my linux experience leads me to take shortcuts and make assumptions instead of following instructions literally. One of the reasons I made that video was to walk a person through the installation step by step without jumping ahead, doing things out of order or (in my case) switching to root to avoid having to type sudo. I hope you get it worked out. I'm working on hardware this weekend, so I hope to get my axes all installed.

More
18 Feb 2022 03:25 #235210 by jkkicks
Thank you for joining the discussion here. I hope all your hardware integrations go smoothly. I have not signed as root for any steps along the way. Ive gotten a little further along with the install.

one thing i did notice... when copying the xsession file, I had to complete it using sudo. any other time i used CP the file would not show using ls. after sudo it seems to be in the correct location.

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds