Preference File

More
08 Apr 2020 18:51 - 08 Apr 2020 19:10 #163225 by Bruedney
Replied by Bruedney on topic Preference File

QTDragon is not an officially supported GUI. Officially, it's an example of what you can build with the QTVCP framework. However, if you want the latest files, you can directly download from Dropbox at www.dropbox.com/sh/348e4qenyyow2vl/AACRe...rSWlptHaO-sYDPa?dl=0
Jim

Thanks Jim

So to get latest bug fixes etc I just need to keep an eye on this dropbox location?

However Chris got us to change some code in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/qtvcp/lib/sys_notify.py in another thread and I was wondering how we would know about that or apply that fix if I hadn't seen it. I assume that sys_notify.py is an official QTVCP file so if Linuxcnc is updated that will be too??? Sorry still learning about all this stuff

Cheers
Bruce (A very recent Mach 3 convert)
Last edit: 08 Apr 2020 19:10 by Bruedney.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2020 20:50 #163237 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Preference File
If you hit a software limit, you should be able to back off it without using 'override limits'
Override limits is used to allow you to turn the machine on while a limit switch is tripped (so you can back off the limit)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bruedney

More
08 Apr 2020 20:54 #163238 by cmorley
Maybe we aren't clear on software limits.
there are 'hard limits' like you physically hit the machine
there are limits switches (sometimes refereed as hard limit switches)
and there are software limits, where linuxcnc won't let the machine move past a certain point.

A properly set up and homed machine will not ever hit the limit switches without a hardware failure, but if you do then you need to 'override limits' to power the machine.

Chris

More
08 Apr 2020 21:20 #163241 by cmorley

So to get latest bug fixes etc I just need to keep an eye on this dropbox location?

However Chris got us to change some code in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/qtvcp/lib/sys_notify.py in another thread and I was wondering how we would know about that or apply that fix if I hadn't seen it. I assume that sys_notify.py is an official QTVCP file so if Linuxcnc is updated that will be too??? Sorry still learning about all this stuff

Cheers
Bruce (A very recent Mach 3 convert)

Jim built the dragon screen and gave the design back to linuxcnc. Seems he continues to develop it but it's a hassle for me to modify it each time to update the linuxcnc version.
As for the linuxcnc version I will bug fix it as I am told (or find bugs) and if warranted the work I will update the screen from time to time.
The bugs on sys_notify are part of the qtvcp infrastructure and will get fixed in linuxcnc repos.

Chris

More
09 Apr 2020 02:27 #163286 by Bruedney
Replied by Bruedney on topic Preference File
A big thank you to both Jim and you Chris

I really like the GUI and hope to become more and more familar with Linux and Linuxcnc

Cheers
Bruce

More
09 Apr 2020 13:35 #163345 by cmorley
Yes Jim's screen is beautiful and well thought out - just a little big for my monitor :)

More
11 Apr 2020 04:35 #163574 by persei8
Replied by persei8 on topic Preference File
Didn't ACTION.OPEN_PROGRAM(fname) used to save the current program path to the preferences file? If you removed it for some reason, that's OK, I can do it in the handler. Another one of life's mysteries to be solved. :)

More
11 Apr 2020 14:46 #163620 by cmorley
Action.OPEN_PROGRAM sends a STATUS message of the file name that can be caught by another file. I actually forget what catches it and adds it to the preference file - probably screen_options but I'll check.
I have not intended to change this behavior - but I'l check the code.

Chris.

More
11 Apr 2020 15:17 #163624 by cmorley
actually the open dialog records the last filename as 'last_file_path' under BOOK_KEEPING and it records the name on load or save.
You can still catch the 'file-loaded' message if you want to do something else:

In QtAxis case it records the last 5 recent opened files, using the TOOLBAR library.

I think that is it.

Chrs

More
11 Apr 2020 16:42 - 11 Apr 2020 16:48 #163636 by persei8
Replied by persei8 on topic Preference File
That's how it worked before, but it is no longer saving 'last_file_path' to the pref file. The handler does catch the file-loaded message and I could save it there.
I think I figured it out - it appears that last_file_path is only saved if a program is loaded through the filemanager widget. I added a tab to display an HTML setup sheet and no longer use the filemanager widget. It uses qfiledialog instead because I didn't want the program to try opening html files. So, I will save it in the file-loaded callback. Thanks for checking, it gave me the clue I needed.
Edit - actually it is done in closing_cleanup__
Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 16:48 by persei8.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds