Homemade, cheap, plasma CNC

More
02 Aug 2021 13:02 #216693 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Homemade, cheap, plasma CNC
Try
BUTTON_2_NAME = LASER 
​​​​​​​BUTTON_2_CODE = toggle-halpin hm2_7i96.0.ssr.00.out-01

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2021 13:26 - 02 Aug 2021 13:41 #216696 by snowgoer540

Try
BUTTON_2_NAME = LASER
BUTTON_2_CODE = toggle-halpin hm2_7i96.0.ssr.00.out-01

I think that won't work. Based on previous conversations with Phill, hal.set_p (what toggle-halpin uses) cannot write to an output pin.

That said, if he wants a separate laser button to control power to the laser outside of the touchoff LASER button that will appear based on the info in my previous post, he could probably do this:

BUTTON_2_NAME = LASER
BUTTON_2_CODE = toggle-halpin qtplasmac.laser_on
Last edit: 02 Aug 2021 13:41 by snowgoer540.

More
03 Aug 2021 14:11 #216831 by RNJFAB
Replied by RNJFAB on topic Homemade, cheap, plasma CNC
Thanks Rod & Snowgoer540.

Still running PlasmaC.

I have a button to offset from laser to plasma.

Now trying to get a button to turn on the laser so I can do it all from the computer.

I'll try it tomorrow when I'm in the shed again Rod.

Cheers

More
03 Aug 2021 20:52 #216864 by rodw
if you are using gmoccappy then you can use one of the macro buttons too.

More
05 Aug 2021 10:06 #216958 by RNJFAB
Thanks Rod,

It didn't work.

Not sure what to do or how to fix it.

Running PlasmaC, using AXIS gui.

Cheers

More
05 Aug 2021 10:46 #216960 by snowgoer540
Probably not what you want to hear, but any aversion to switching over to QtPlasmaC? Tons more features, bug fixes from the PlasmaC days, etc.

It does require being on 2.9 (master branch). At any rate, some of the stuff you are asking for has been made way easier/possible in QtPlasmaC. Plus, no more development/limited support on PlasmaC.

More
05 Aug 2021 11:07 #216962 by RNJFAB
Hey snowgoer540, no objection to changing over, having spent a few months getting 2.8.0 to work I’m reluctant to change is all. Also the cnc is in the shed with no internet available so I have to do everything in the house then take USB to the shed to load up. This caused no end of frustration when I changed from Mach 3 to LinuxCNC to start with.

If it’s all it’s cracked up to be I’ll look at changing, however, for 99% of the time 2.8.2 is doing everything I need and I know how to manipulate it now to get around its limitations.

Cheers

More
05 Aug 2021 11:17 #216964 by snowgoer540
If you are on Buster, it's a much easier task, but I can understand the frustrations of lack of internet, etc.

No chance to take the pc to the house to do most of the heavy lifting, then work on the config in the shed?

I think it's all it's cracked up to be, but perhaps I am biased. I'd recommend a good thumb through the docs: linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/qtplasmac.html

Somewhere around here I've made a list of key features/upgrades, etc, and it's only grown since then. That said, 2.9 is the development version, and as such it doesn't come risk free. Generally issues are quickly resolved, but they do pop up from time to time. To me the reward > the risk. But obviously everyone needs to weigh the benefits for themselves. All that disclaimer stuff said, QtPlasmaC has been stable.

At any rate, I can appreciate your situation and why you'd want to stay put. If you decide to switch over, there are plenty of people here willing to help get you going.

More
05 Aug 2021 12:40 - 05 Aug 2021 12:42 #216970 by rodw
There is always a way.
If the toggle will only work on an input pin, I think you could fake that with an and2 component give or take a typo or two
#hal file
loadrt and2
addf and2.0 servo-thread
setp and2.0.in1 1
net laser-on and.0.out => hm2_7i96.0.ssr.00.out-01

#ini file
BUTTON_2_NAME = LASER
BUTTON_2_CODE = toggle-halpin and2.0.in0

If any and2s jhave been added previously, you might need to modify the existing loadrt statement

I would not rush into QTplasmac until the dust settles after the move to Python3. I think have QTplasmac sorted but I'm not in love with it. It is very sluggish on my hardware
Last edit: 05 Aug 2021 12:42 by rodw.

More
05 Aug 2021 13:14 #216976 by phillc54

I think have QTplasmac sorted but I'm not in love with it. It is very sluggish on my hardware[/code]

It works fine on my old Dual-Core 2.80GHz Pentium with 2gb RAM and also a Gigabyte Brix Dual Core 1.5GHz Celeron with 4Gb RAM.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds