New Guy,Best way to setup a Automatic Tool Changer

More
16 Jun 2020 18:10 #171866 by sspeed33317
I'm back on it, mounting new motors to the axis now, going with DMM Tech AC servos. needs more electrical parts to get things right so its going to take a while.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2020 20:06 #171870 by ronthomp
Great! I mounted a 750W DMM with a Dyn4 to the X axis of my 1990 VF1. I got 400IPM. I made a short video on youtube. I tested several motors.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2020 20:09 #171871 by ronthomp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2020 21:18 #171927 by sspeed33317
I used the A15-DHT motors, way over powered but they fit with a spacer because the shaft is too long, and I had to slightly hone the couplings and broach them for the 5mm key, also had to make some room for them to fit .

Need to get some drag chains for the x and y wiring. and replace some of the oiler lines

Did you get your tool changer working?

I am putting a swing arm changer on it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2020 22:16 #171931 by ronthomp
Did you get your tool changer working?
Not yet. I was trying to get the existing DC axis motors working with aftermarket drives and tuning was kicking my ass. I finally smoked an X axis motor and decided to try the DMM AC servo, mainly because of the auto tuning. I like it so much I ordered 2 more. I ordered braking resistors, too. I think I can get 500 IPM or better with them.
I have the inputs and outputs wired (mostly), but have yet to test them.
I think the hardest part will be writing the tool change macro. I went with UCCNC and the macros are in C#.
Your motors are Nema42, slightly bigger than my stock motors. I was worried about the table clearing the X axis motor. My motors are Nema 34, slightly smaller than the stock mounts. I drilled and tapped the mounting holes in the existing mount. I had to put 1/4 nuts as standoffs because the motor boss was a little to large to fit in the pilot hole. I made a new coupler half out of aluminum for testing and it worked so well I left it.
My 16 tool ATC worked fine under the Haas controller. It's simple to operate, I just need to write that macro. The ATC was rebuilt by the previous owner and it's in great shape.
Mounting a swing arm changer sounds pretty ambitious!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum