× Forum Header

Please help, I need some addvise

More
17 Apr 2013 02:44 #32809 by allenwg2005
Todd,

After taking a deep breath and clearing my mind a bit I realized just what you stated.
I am going to have to dig in here and deal with this no matter what, Linuxcnc is worth it.
(Anything to avoid Windows for that matter).

I went ahead and busted some of the wiring loom apart and I now see that one of the three parports is for a joy stick. This is already starting to make more sense.

I will continue to dig and use your suggestions to get to the bottom of this and make it work.

I think this photo should be better.

Thanks again, Allen
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2013 03:15 #32812 by BigJohnT
Any control software you choose you will still have to get down to the nuts and bolts and figure out what everything does so you can connect things properly. I'm glad it is starting to make sense to you and glad Todd was familiar with the machine.

Just take it one step at a time and keep notes as to what you sort out and you will get to the end.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: allenwg2005

More
17 Apr 2013 06:17 #32815 by allenwg2005
John, thanks for the encouragement it helps.

Todd, my machine is set up just like yours with one exception, I have low and high limits on
22,23,24, and 25. This is in addition to the limits on 1,14,16 and 17.

This brings me to my next question:

Why would a machine have four proximity pick-ups on X, three on Y, and three on Z??????????

I am trying to wrap my mind around X mod and I'm afraid I'll hose something up, but I will open a terminal and roll the dice. Not being that well versed in Linux, and not knowing the nomenclature leaves me at a disadvantage.
(I suppose when I have this behind me I won't have that excuse).

Any other advice or direction?

More
17 Apr 2013 06:50 #32816 by allenwg2005
Todd,

In the “Parallel Port Driver” document you sent me I assumed the boxed text shown were command lines to be executed in a terminal. All I get is a “bash: loadrt: command not found”.

What am I doing wrong here?

More
17 Apr 2013 06:54 - 17 Apr 2013 06:55 #32817 by arvidb
Hi. I'm guessing that you should run those commands from within halcmd. So type halcmd in the terminal, and then type your loadrt etc into the new environment that you get.

I think there's a 'help' command within the halcmd environment as well, which may come in handy.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2013 06:55 by arvidb. Reason: spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: allenwg2005

More
17 Apr 2013 08:39 - 17 Apr 2013 08:40 #32820 by Todd Zuercher

John, thanks for the encouragement it helps.

Todd, my machine is set up just like yours with one exception, I have low and high limits on
22,23,24, and 25. This is in addition to the limits on 1,14,16 and 17.

This brings me to my next question:

Why would a machine have four proximity pick-ups on X, three on Y, and three on Z??????????

I am trying to wrap my mind around X mod and I'm afraid I'll hose something up, but I will open a terminal and roll the dice. Not being that well versed in Linux, and not knowing the nomenclature leaves me at a disadvantage.
(I suppose when I have this behind me I won't have that excuse).

Any other advice or direction?

Pins 18-25 are just grounds on a parallel port. If you check more carefully I think you will probably find that they are the returning from the switches connected to pins 1,14,16 and 17.

from terminal in the directory containing the two files issue the command
halrun -I -f ptestx.hal

That should pop up a window that looks somthing like this.

You also need to be sure that the ptestx.hal is using the right address for the port you want to test.

If you then connect the one of the input pins to ground with a 470 ohm resistor and watch to see if one of the input LEDs on the test screen changes color.
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Apr 2013 08:40 by Todd Zuercher.

More
17 Apr 2013 09:24 #32821 by allenwg2005
I'm not sure what directory the two files are in, were should I look?

Went to halcmd, found the loadrt listed but when I run it I get:
loadrt: command not found

I've checked for sytax errors and made sertain I typed it correctly.

Thanks for sticking with me on this, I know it's a pian to deal with a tender foot.

More
17 Apr 2013 13:14 #32825 by ArcEye

Went to halcmd, found the loadrt listed but when I run it I get:
loadrt: command not found

You have to run halrun in a terminal.
You then get halcmd command prompt and can run normal hal commands from it, display pins and params etc

see linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/hal/tutorial....ial_simple_example_a

regards

More
17 Apr 2013 18:18 #32831 by BigJohnT
Here is a link to the parallel port tester topic

linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum/18-...parallel-port-tester

John

More
17 Apr 2013 19:24 #32835 by Todd Zuercher
Did you install LinunxCNC?

If you havn't yet, the easiesty way is to boot from the live CD.

Also you have to remember to rename the file ptestx.txt to ptestx.xml. (It had to be renamed because the forum wouldn't let me upoad an xml)

You also need to remember that LinuxCNC requires a kernal modified for real time to run properly. If you are using something else you had before it won't work.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds