× Forum Header

Please help, I need some addvise

More
04 May 2013 17:40 - 04 May 2013 23:11 #33600 by ArcEye

Arseye is right I'll never forget this adventure.

Hopefully that is a typo :angry:
Last edit: 04 May 2013 23:11 by ArcEye.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2013 21:25 #33602 by andypugh

Now there is one thing here I should mention, voltage on the output pins is 0v until I push the button on the meter, they then go to 4.6v.
They go back to 0v when the button is released.

That's great. You are done, time to start configuring :-)

More
04 May 2013 23:45 #33606 by allenwg2005
Oops, :ohmy:

Arceye, (Please note I found the “C” key this time)
I owe you an apology, absolutely a typo. (This is embarrassing). :(
I'm a hunt and peck typist, I usually catch this sort of thing but one gets by me now and then. I'm Sorry.

I have moved the limit wires Todd suggested and I am ready to do the configuration.
Is the Step Configuration Wizard the best tool to use in my situation or am I missing something.

If the wizard is best, I have a couple questions on the “Parallel Port Settings” page. (Just for starters).
I get step and direction for X,Y, but I need some help on the following.

1- Shall I leave “Estop” on pin one?
Is estop triggered by the emergence stop button on my control panel, or is it something else?
If it is the stop button, I will need to make certain that it is wired properly, please confirm if you can.

2- Anaheim Automation calls for “Outputs off” (motor control as I understand it) to be placed on pin 5, I do not see anything like that on the drop down list for pin 5, What shall I do here?

3- Z axis, another parallel port controls this axis, how do I assign port/pin locations for this axis?

4- I don't need spindle control at this time, but I do plan on installing a freq. spindle soon, I planed on setting these to “unused” for now. Is that appropriate?

5- I see were limits are able to be called up on pins 10,11,12,13, and 15, Anaheim Auto. calls the limits “high and low”, I assume Linuxcnc uses “minimum and maximum”, is that correct?

By the time we are done here you folks can publish a book and call it:
“How to locate parallel ports and configure linuxcnc for an idiot”.
(I think Dummies is trade marked, it doesn’t capture the subject in this case accurately either.) ;)

Thanks again.

More
04 May 2013 23:48 #33607 by allenwg2005
The website is being difficult today!

More
05 May 2013 00:10 #33608 by andypugh

Is the Step Configuration Wizard the best tool to use

I think so, yes. There may be some manual tuning to do later.

Is estop triggered by the emergence stop button on my control panel, or is it something else?
If it is the stop button, I will need to make certain that it is wired properly, please confirm if you can.

This is likely to be an input to let LinuxCNC know that e-stop has been pressed.

2- Anaheim Automation calls for “Outputs off” (motor control as I understand it) to be placed on pin 5, I do not see anything like that on the drop down list for pin 5, What shall I do here?

The correct function is probably "amp-enable", it may need to be inverted if the Anaheim control expects +5V for disable.

3- Z axis, another parallel port controls this axis, how do I assign port/pin locations for this axis?

The "Basic Machine Info" page of Stepconf allows you to set the base addresses of up to 3 parallel ports. Use the numbers you have recently discovered. It looks like Stepconf will only allocate pins on the first parallel port (which is a pity). This means that you will have to edit the HAL file by hand. Just do as much as you can with stepconf to get the basic configuration sorted out. Just leave the Z-axis pins unallocated for now, and then you can connect them up in a custom.hal file (which later runs of Stepconf won't overwrite)

4- I don't need spindle control at this time, but I do plan on installing a freq. spindle soon, I planed on setting these to “unused” for now. Is that appropriate?

Yes, that should be fine.

5- I see were limits are able to be called up on pins 10,11,12,13, and 15, Anaheim Auto. calls the limits “high and low”, I assume Linuxcnc uses “minimum and maximum”, is that correct?

It seems like the best guess :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: allenwg2005

More
05 May 2013 00:25 #33609 by Todd Zuercher

Is the Step Configuration Wizard the best tool to use in my situation or am I missing something.

If the wizard is best, I have a couple questions on the “Parallel Port Settings” page. (Just for starters).
I get step and direction for X,Y, but I need some help on the following.

Stepconfig is a verry simple option that should get you at least a functioning config to start from.

1st If your machine has an e-stop system, you will need to investigate how it worked before. I doubt that it would have had an input or output from the old software. LinuxCNC can use both an input and an output for e-stop related functions. The one that Stepconfig is putting on pin 1 is an output signal to what ever is controlling the e-stop hardware. You are going to need to decide how you would like this to work. In the mean time it isn't necessary to get the machine functional.

2nd The Anaheim Automation drive disable is not necessary, None of our machines using these drives have anything connected to them. if you are using them it is simple to use a not command on the parallel port output pin to reverse the polarity of the drive enable signal if need be.

3rd In Stepconfig the page where you enter the first basic machine information (including your step timings that should be 15000 for all of them) there is a place to enter the LPT address, then check boxes for a 2nd and 3rd LPT ports and thier addresses. If you entered that info then after you fill in the page for your 1st port, click next and it brings up the page for your 2nd port...

4th Yes.

5th Yes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allenwg2005

More
05 May 2013 00:31 - 05 May 2013 00:37 #33610 by Todd Zuercher
The site is cantankerous today isn't it
Last edit: 05 May 2013 00:37 by Todd Zuercher. Reason: duplicate post

More
05 May 2013 03:19 #33622 by allenwg2005
OK,

“Basic Machine Information”
I checked off the address boxes and put in the addresses.

“Parallel Port Setup”
I have kicked estop to the curb until later, I went with “Amplified Enabled” on pin 5 and 9 for now.
(AA said this is “motor control", (open) motor current on, (pulled) motor current off). There words.
I may have to omit or invert these pins later.

I have X and Y “Minimum Limit + home and “Max limit” set, pins 10,11,12,13.

When I left “Parallel Port Setup” it went right to “X axis Configuration”, I was looking forward to the additional page for my Z axis pin allocation. No joy! Shot.

I went on to configure X and did the “Test this axis”, it did it's thing, YES!!!!!
Nice smooth movement, a real pleasure to watch.
I followed with Y, this one didn't work, at this point it needs to be mentioned that the fellow who sold me the machine put it in moth balls because the machine had a problem (some 8 years ago) and near as he could recall the Y axis had an issue and did not respond.
So I think that this may be why this isn't working.
Now what is interesting is while it will not move when I click OK to close the test window I do hear the motor thump, it may be the wiring for step/movement is damaged.
I'll work on that.

Z has no port assignment so it's a dead stick.

Any advise on this Z port issue going forward?

More
05 May 2013 03:39 #33623 by andypugh

Z has no port assignment so it's a dead stick.
Any advise on this Z port issue going forward?

I am puzzled as to why you didn't get a Z-axis configuration window. Stepconf doesn't even offer the option of not having a Z axis.
Is it worth trying Stepconf again? Even if I don't allocate any Z pins, I still get a configuration window for it.

Anyway, what you need to do next is open the newly-created HAL file in a text editor like Gedit.

You should see lines like:
net xstep => parport.0.pin-02-out
setp parport.0.pin-02-out-reset 1
net xdir => parport.0.pin-03-out

But no corresponding entries for Z, and then a little further down the file there should be:
etp stepgen.2.position-scale [AXIS_2]SCALE
setp stepgen.2.steplen 1
setp stepgen.2.stepspace 0
setp stepgen.2.dirhold 35000
setp stepgen.2.dirsetup 35000
setp stepgen.2.maxaccel [AXIS_2]STEPGEN_MAXACCEL
net zpos-cmd axis.2.motor-pos-cmd => stepgen.2.position-cmd
net zpos-fb stepgen.2.position-fb => axis.2.motor-pos-fb
net zstep <= stepgen.2.step
net zdir <= stepgen.2.dir
net zenable axis.2.amp-enable-out => stepgen.2.enable

You just need to connect the zstep and zdir pins from the code above to the correct parallel port pins. So, copy the first set of three lines for the x-axis into a new file called custom.hal (create the file using gedit or any other plain-text editor).

Edit them to suit your setup, something a bit like
net zstep => parport.1.pin-02-out
setp parport.1.pin-02-out-reset 1
net zdir => parport.1.pin-03-out

You will, of course, need to choose the right pin numbers for your setup.

This works because the Stepconf wizard has (or should have) created signals for the Z axis, so all your extra HAL needs to do is send them somewhere.

More
05 May 2013 05:13 #33626 by allenwg2005
Andy,

This is the problem with me and email, (writing of any kind).
I have such a hard time explaining things. On matter how hard I try.
It's a good thing this is in English, who knows what kind of mess I would make here.

Let me try again, I have the “Z Axis configuration” window, I just didn't get the window Todd was sharing. I probably miss understood him. I thought I would have a chance to set pins for Z, then configure it after that.

I will see if I can manage these file changes.

Thanks

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds