× Forum Header

moving problem

More
12 Jul 2019 16:58 #139189 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic moving problem
You mighy try the motherboard video since the error seems video related
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoberCNC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2019 17:39 #139192 by RoberCNC
Replied by RoberCNC on topic moving problem
I'm confused, I'm sorry, the motherboard only has integrated audio, I'm going to try an old graphic that I have around there. Anyway what would be the best way to acquire a CPU that works for sure? I am tired of the trial and error and that always is error :(.

I need to operate the machine as it is and with what I have invested I can only go forward :). I remember reading here that there are some motherboards that work quite well, but I am not able to find the thread.

More
12 Jul 2019 17:57 #139194 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic moving problem
Most motherboards should work fine for a 1 ms servo thread

I suspect the either you have not disabled power management in the BIOS
or that is not settable (this does seem unlikely in older motherboards however)
Or as I mentioned perhaps a hardware problem

What hardware options does the BIOS have? (a picture of the setup screens would help)

More
12 Jul 2019 17:57 #139195 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic moving problem
Can you boot that pc from the Linuxcnc USB drive and start that config to see if you get real time errors ?
Since you are using a 5i25 almost any computer will do just fine, some do require a bit of BIOS tweaking, but they should work.
I have tested and work with plenty of computers, but i never got realtime delays with 5i25 or 6i25, i do mean plenty, from Pentium D ( that was a pentium 4 with 2 cores), to core2duo and celerons, and core i5 and i7. Never had an i3 so i do not know about them, but it should not matter much as the only real diference in them is the ammount of cache memory.
Can you also take a picture of the BIOS menu ?

More
12 Jul 2019 18:09 #139197 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic moving problem
the 5i25 is almost the best bet on old PC and it workes fabouless
so there is for shure some bios involved
cut the AUDIO
set the Video bios to lower RAM use
the newer PC got a Video exeleration on bios settigng disable it Pure VGA no Buffer

More
12 Jul 2019 18:48 #139201 by RoberCNC
Of course, I can do everything you tell me to do and this in my hand, since you take the trouble to help me ... :)
Attachments:

More
12 Jul 2019 20:10 #139205 by tommylight
That is an older mainboard with not much to set up in BIOS, but there are some things to check like:
Under power options there is a choice between S1 and S3, change it and check if it improves anything.
While in the BIOS check the hardware monitor, it might have problems with cooling the processor and that will for sure mess things up as it has to throttle down the speed a lot.
Also very important on those mainboards, check and activate the DMA for the hard drive, by default it is not active. PIO mode is not very important.
There is a setting named "A20 gate" or A21, i can not recall exactly, set that to FAST. This is very important.
Can not recall anything else, long time since i seen those .

More
12 Jul 2019 21:02 - 12 Jul 2019 21:03 #139206 by RoberCNC
Hi Tommy, thanks for your time. I have reviewed everything you mention, I have changed the power option to S3, the rest I do not see anything, only the DMA option, but refer to the parallel port (channel DMA 1 or 3). The setting named A20 / 21 does not appear. Should I change my PC or what alternatives do I have? I bought the Mesa cards thinking that they would solve all the problems that the old PC could cause :(, to top it off after trying to try the other graphic the configuration I had does not start me, it gives me a very long error window, I'm desperate.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jul 2019 21:03 by RoberCNC.

More
12 Jul 2019 21:13 #139208 by tommylight
Debug file information:
./CNC_MESA.hal:213: parameter or pin 'hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.spinout-minlim' not found
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
Stopping realtime threads
Unloading hal components

That is your error, you can always ignore the rest of that message.
Just put a "#" in front of that line in HAL file.

Did you try to boot from a USB and run Linuxcnc from it ? You should really test that as the hard drive might be failing and causing the latency errors. You might just have to change the hard drive and continue using that computer.
You are looking at the other DMA regarding the parallel port, you have to enable the DMA for the hard drive and that is always located in the first or the second menu in the BIOS type you have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoberCNC

More
12 Jul 2019 21:23 #139210 by RoberCNC
I was just now trying to run it from the LiveCD. You say it can be something as simple as changing the hard drive ?. I do not find anything of DMA related to the HD, neither in the first menu, nor in the second.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds