Remora - ethernet NVEM / EC300 / EC500 cnc board

More
24 Nov 2023 19:20 #286424 by hanskuster
Hi all,
I discovered a new problem.
After startup of LinuxCNC the direction of the stepper is not always the same. Sometimes "+" moves the slider away from the motor and sometime against the motor. The direction remains that way until the next startup or even several startups.
What is wrong with my setup or what could cause this direction swaps?

Because I setup the X-axis only, I attached the config part for that only.

I connected an LED to the direction output. The output of the direction signal is consistent with the moving direction of the motor.
With this LED I discovered that the signal sometimes start to blink after the movement has stopped.

What could cause this changing of the direction of travel?

Regards, Hans
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2023 21:39 #286428 by scotta
Hmm. I'm guessing this is with the DMA stepgen. I thought my last changes had solved that issue. It's not a LinuxCNC config issue.

If you could monitor the situations which lead up to this bug that would be appreciated so I can try to narrow down the underlying cause.

More
24 Nov 2023 22:45 #286434 by hanskuster

Hmm. I'm guessing this is with the DMA stepgen. I thought my last changes had solved that issue. It's not a LinuxCNC config issue.

If you could monitor the situations which lead up to this bug that would be appreciated so I can try to narrow down the underlying cause.

Hi scotta,
yes, I use the version remora-rt1052-3.1.0.bin
not only restarting the software changes the direction at random. Toggle machine power changes the direction also.

Regards, Hans

More
27 Nov 2023 00:17 #286595 by scotta
I was able to confirm the direction output issues. My approach to getting the step and direction outputs into a "known" state during restarts was not consistent. So, with this bugfix I'm reading the actual output port DR register and then performing a direction change if needed. Happy testing and thanks again for the feedback. We'll get this stable.

I'll merge the bugfix branch once we have some feedback.

github.com/scottalford75/Remora-RT1052-c...t1052-3.1.1-beta.bin
The following user(s) said Thank You: oficinerobotica, hanskuster, cnc-phil

More
27 Nov 2023 09:53 - 27 Nov 2023 10:10 #286613 by 0jw
I'm having a similar problem to user oficinerobotica when trying to flash a ec500 with a pi pico using a windows machine. The board date is 2022-09-07.

When I try to use
pyocd flash remora-rt1052-EC500-beta.bin --target mimxrt1050_quadspi -v
I get the error
0001433 I Target type is mimxrt1050_quadspi [board]
0001534 C No ACK received [__main__]

I'm not using resistors and don't have 3.3v connected to boot.
I have gnd, 24v, com- and com+ connected to power.
Anyone have any ideas as to what might be the problem?
Last edit: 27 Nov 2023 10:10 by 0jw.

More
27 Nov 2023 10:34 #286615 by 0jw
lol user error. I had the black wires in the diagram mixed up. it looks to have worked but not sure.
Attachments:

More
28 Nov 2023 10:17 - 28 Nov 2023 10:19 #286679 by oficinerobotica

I'm having a similar problem to user oficinerobotica when trying to flash a ec500 with a pi pico using a windows machine. The board date is 2022-09-07.

When I try to use
pyocd flash remora-rt1052-EC500-beta.bin --target mimxrt1050_quadspi -v
I get the error
0001433 I Target type is mimxrt1050_quadspi [board]
0001534 C No ACK received [__main__]

I'm not using resistors and don't have 3.3v connected to boot.
I have gnd, 24v, com- and com+ connected to power.
Anyone have any ideas as to what might be the problem?

After a bit of fidling I completely given up on the pico route and just ordered 2 cheap ST-LINK's . With the particular ones that I got , it turns out they work out of the box for flashing the EC500. I didn't even needed to flash the custom firmware on the stlink. If you get the ST-LINK try first a flash just the way they are before flashing one of them as per scotta instructions.  Unfortunatly I don't have the time and knowledge to dig deeper and make the pico work

Edit: I see you got it working lol. I just missed your second post. Sorry for the noise :)
Last edit: 28 Nov 2023 10:19 by oficinerobotica.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 0jw

More
28 Nov 2023 14:10 #286704 by 0jw
As far as I can tell it worked. I'm not sure if there's some way to ping the board or something using windows to verify. The led configuration definitely changed. I now have 4 LED's on that were not before. 
Attachments:

More
29 Nov 2023 09:30 - 29 Nov 2023 12:28 #286769 by rbobey1989
Hello everyone:
I've been disconnected from this topic for a few days but I haven't had time!!! remodeling at home!!! hehe housework.
Just yesterday I returned to linuxcnc, my ec500 hardware and the nema 34 closed loop stepper motors and DM860H drivers to perform a small closed loop test. I must say that I would have preferred motors with lower resolution encoders but all the closed loop motors from ebay and aliexpress have 1000 pulses or 4000 counts per revolution, another difficulty has been the voltage level of the encoders is 5V so I have used the free pins of the MPG port +/-WHA +/-WHB which are 5V tolerant (they are differential, something really good because all the closed loop motor encoders that I saw also have differential outputs), I don't know what quality level the differential driver connected to the MPG port will have, I haven't even looked at it, on the other hand, there are the basic configurations for the *.ini and *.hal files that Scott provides us, first I have done certain tests in open circuit and the motors truly reach incredible speeds, this is where I have found problems because the speeds in the sample *.ini file are of the order from 125 <-> 166 mm/s = 7500 <-> 9000 mm/min; which from my ignorance, depending a lot on the construction of the machines, it is quite difficult to reach these speed values, now the problems have been in terms of the relationship between speed and loss of steps since, for example, above 1500mm/min I lose counts in the encoder, my calculations would be the following, you can correct me if I'm wrong: for a spindle with a 4mm pitch it would be 1500mm/min / 4mm = 375 rpm, 375rpm/60 = 6.25rps and 6.25rps*4000 = 25000 counts/sec, which I already say from my ignorance seems quite little to me but I lose counts above this speed, otherwise it has been gratifying to be able to perform a closed loop control using Linuxcnc I was able to adjust the pid without problems, I have seen a pretty good video on the Youtuber size83 very well explained by the way and based on Remora's notes for a closed loop configuration.
Hello Scott, I have made some changes to the qdc module since I had not used the MPG port pins and I had incorrectly configured dir signal continues to occur, I tested your changes in the bugfix branch and I have not seen any improvement in this regard, then I will upload the *.ini and *.hal files since now I am from the phone.
I don't understand why the editor doesn't allow me to add a video, I did it a while ago and it worked, it doesn't matter, I'll leave you a link to the test video

Last edit: 29 Nov 2023 12:28 by rbobey1989.

More
29 Nov 2023 10:08 #286771 by 0jw
Hi everyone, I'm a bit lost on installing the remora component for the ec500. When I type mkdir ~/linuxcnc it doesn't work. So I used the current directly.
Them cd ~/linuxcnc. Then git clone. But no remora-nv.c after that. So I cloned the remora-rt1052-cpp and used the remora-eth-3.0.c and remora-eth-3.0.h in the component folder.
When I open nano /ext/dhcpcd.conf to edit the ip address I dont see any text or way of navigating. I'm really not sure if that's normal or not.
Any help us really appreciate!

Time to create page: 0.262 seconds