Remora - ethernet NVEM / EC300 / EC500 cnc board

More
15 Nov 2023 05:05 #285460 by scotta

Hi cakeslob,
thanks for having a look into my problem!
The axis move in the preview screen, but the motor doesn't get any signals.

I had an error message for BASE_PERIOD, I don't remember which one, but setting it to the same value like SERVO_PERIOD fixed this for me.
When I had both values to 1'000'000 I constantly got an error message about latency, I should run the latency test, although I switched off all power saving options in the bios.
The latency test gave me results of around 30'000 which should be good.
My goal for now is to make the system moving and then I can check/fix the latency, if that will be an issue.

Regards, Hans

As per Cakeslobs comment. Leave the basethread as 0 and ignore the error message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hanskuster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2023 05:14 - 15 Nov 2023 05:19 #285461 by scotta
MAJOR version change

With the DMA stepgen merged into main, the great work done by rbobey1989 has now also been merged. So now we definitely have a more capable controller board than under Mach3. 500kz stepgen and 4 hardware encoders! Can't wait to see some closed loop stepper system in action.

The incorporation of the encoder work has required an update to the LinuxCNC component, so at the same time I've also updated the component to include changes that I've been working on for the SPI versions for reliability.

This is now a major change and both the firmware and LinuxCNC component must be updated at the same time. As such I've now included the major version number in the LinuxCNC component to help with the transition. 

Firmware
github.com/scottalford75/Remora-RT1052-c...ora-rt1052-3.0.0.bin

LinuxCNC component
github.com/scottalford75/Remora-RT1052-c...omponents/Remora-eth

Note that these will have a new home shortly as we simplify the repo structure.

The LinuxCNC configuration hal file also needs to be updated to ensure the new component is loaded.
[code]loadrt remora-eth-3.0 PRU_base_freq=500000
[/code]
Last edit: 15 Nov 2023 05:19 by scotta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oficinerobotica, Murphy, hanskuster

More
15 Nov 2023 15:57 #285521 by killer800
Is the firmware 3.0.0 can also for nvem(v2 300khz) with rt1052

More
15 Nov 2023 21:00 #285542 by chrstrvs
Is the component only for boards with RT1052 or does it work with STM32 as well?

More
15 Nov 2023 22:30 #285551 by hanskuster

Hey Hans,
Since we are using  external hardware, I dont think that we use a basethread. That is mostly for parallel port setups. 
Its good that it shows up in the preview

Hi cakeslob,
I updated to the newest firmware and modified according to the info from scotta (forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/44828-rem...rd?start=1360#285461)
After many tries and tests I found that the stepper motor moves though, but only under certain conditions which I have no explanation for:
- I had to change the [JOINT_0].SCALE from 3000 to 6000
- when running the sample program axis.ngc the stepper move only sometimes, maybe bigger rapid moves?
Whenever the stepper moves, then I get many "Spike filter active..." in the console.
In Jog I can move the stepper only in bigger moves like 5mm and up. On smaller steps the motor doesn't move at all. Only its position on the display changes.

Any Ideas?

Regards, Hans
Attachments:

More
16 Nov 2023 11:47 #285606 by manager12345
Hello everyone When configuring the HAL file, such an error pops up, can someone tell me how to solve it?
Debug file information: Note: Using POSIX realtime ./remora-nvem.hal:1: Unknown command 3287 remora- Stopping realtime threads Unloading hal components Note: Using POSIX realtime upload

More
16 Nov 2023 14:45 #285624 by cakeslob
Hey Hans. For setup start with a lower scale count.

Im not positive on how the new step portions are implemented, but perhaps you need to increase your Step length/space
{
	"Thread": "DMA",
	"Type": "DMAstepgen",
		"Comment":			"Z - Joint 2 step generator",
		"Joint Number":		2,
		"Step Pin": 		"P1_18",
		"Direction Pin": 	"P1_25",
		"Step Length":		1,
		"Step Space":		1

manager12345
Please post your hal file

More
16 Nov 2023 20:35 #285653 by scotta

Is the firmware 3.0.0 can also for nvem(v2 300khz) with rt1052

Yes, you will get the higher stepgen frequency with the RT1052 NVEM board as well. Firmware is the same, just a different configuration file. For the NVEM I think you will only get up to 3 hardware encoders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cnc-phil

More
16 Nov 2023 20:37 #285654 by scotta

Is the component only for boards with RT1052 or does it work with STM32 as well?

Currently just for the RT1052 boards, but I'll update the STM32 versions as well. This will be progressive as the SPI Mbed based code will also get some updates. So lots of different boards being impacted by this Major version roll out.

More
16 Nov 2023 20:43 #285656 by scotta

Hey Hans,
Since we are using  external hardware, I dont think that we use a basethread. That is mostly for parallel port setups. 
Its good that it shows up in the preview

Hi cakeslob,
I updated to the newest firmware and modified according to the info from scotta (forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/44828-rem...rd?start=1360#285461)
After many tries and tests I found that the stepper motor moves though, but only under certain conditions which I have no explanation for:
- I had to change the [JOINT_0].SCALE from 3000 to 6000
- when running the sample program axis.ngc the stepper move only sometimes, maybe bigger rapid moves?
Whenever the stepper moves, then I get many "Spike filter active..." in the console.
In Jog I can move the stepper only in bigger moves like 5mm and up. On smaller steps the motor doesn't move at all. Only its position on the display changes.

Any Ideas?

Regards, Hans

Wow, I've never seen the spike filter active in the Ethernet version. I think this is due to miss match between the LinuxCNC servo period and the controller board servo period.

The following line must to match the controller board servo frequency.
SERVO_PERIOD = 3000000

should be
SERVO_PERIOD = 1000000

ie 1khz

Time to create page: 0.344 seconds