Remora - ethernet NVEM cnc board

More
16 Apr 2023 18:15 #269224 by meister
on my NVEM from Amazon, the 12V Supply Labels are swapped on the input-side (12V<->GND) - danger !!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2023 20:46 - 16 Apr 2023 20:49 #269233 by Teos81
Hi to everyone,
i'm a new linuxcnc user :)
I came from Mach3 and a buggy lowcost amazon nvem clone version5 with the 2022-08-11 board..
In windows it work basic, but have an old firmware with the cncboy plugin and i cant configure in any mode the home switch. every time is pressed also during home procedure it raise an limits exception..

So, i googled and find this beautiful 3d..
Thanks Scotta for your big work... i was in panic to have spend money for trash.. now i have a hope to make it work and move to Linuxcnc..
Sorry for the newbie question.. but my last linuxcnc experience was about 10 years ago when i assembled my cnc and try to make it works with a parrallel port and a shuttlepro.
Now i try to update it with the MKS servo54d closed loop driver mounted directly into the old mena24 motors, the Nvem card and the NVMPG. The Servo54d drivers and the NVMPG are still travelling from china; the nvem istead buyed prime from amazon thinking it was a good clone.

Unfortunaly i have only an stlink v2 at home, and need to wait tomorrow for the delivery of the second one and try to reflash the board with the remora firmware. But i have already installed a new version of linuxcnc, git cloned and installed the remora, remora-nv and NVMPG component ad copy the config sample from the stm32 version..
Now the question:
- I need to make other step before reflash the card and try to connect?
- The config for pin of the RT1052 is the same of the stm32 version? if not, some one could wrote it? I remember to have see only the one for the EC500 that is different from the NVEM V5 and the EC300 right?

Thanks a lot
and sorry for the long post.
Bye
Matteo
Last edit: 16 Apr 2023 20:49 by Teos81.

More
16 Apr 2023 21:09 #269236 by meister
this firmware is beta (or alpha?), i think its not the best idea to run it in production

More
16 Apr 2023 22:09 #269244 by scotta
Hi Matteo,

Welcome to LinuxCNC, the community is always willing to help on the learning curve.

Now the question:
- I need to make other step before reflash the card and try to connect?
- The config for pin of the RT1052 is the same of the stm32 version? if not, some one could wrote it? I remember to have see only the one for the EC500 that is different from the NVEM V5 and the EC300 right?

Your Ethernet config will need to be setup for a 10.10.10.x domain as the firmware is hard coded with a 10.10.10.10 IP address.

The firmware is different for the NVEM / EC300 and the EC500, the only difference being the IO. The basic LinuxCNC config is the same for all boards, STM or RT1052.

More
16 Apr 2023 22:31 #269245 by scotta

this firmware is beta (or alpha?), i think its not the best idea to run it in production

Remora firmware is running on numerous controller boards, in many applications from 3D printers to Laser cutters. And has been for many years.

True, it is an open source project under active development and porting to new boards and MCUs, eg the latest version for the NXP RT1052 based boards. So early adopters of a new port must understand this, and to be honest, without those willing to give it try and report issues and request features development would slow. 

The underlying control architecture is based on the well proven step generator that is part of the LinuxCNC source. It's simply split between the PC and the controller board with a communication protocol and mechanism in between (SPI and now Ethernet). And like the Mesa boards, adds some more variables into the control loop to manage the latency incurred by the time to read and write to the board vs a parallel port.

More
17 Apr 2023 11:14 #269295 by Teos81
Thanks Scotta,
Yes, ip with same net setted, only need to reflash the board :)

@Meister
Alpha, beta or gamma for me didn't change nothing.. is worst the original fw installed Into controller and a sw whithout support fron about 10 years.. 
Obvius this a desktop and hobbyst cnc, not a production machine.. i haven't see any of my customers that work with cnc buy those type of controller.. only fanuc, heidenan, hermel commercial machine.. 
Also as wrote by Scotta, the best way to see if there are bugs is to try and use.. much pepole use it, knowing it's a development version, fast is the debugging 

More
17 Apr 2023 11:21 #269296 by frayja2002
Not sure if understood the question but...

The firmware for an STM32 NVEM is different to a RT-1052 NVEM.
But once flashed & working the pinouts should be the same (with the exception of OUT1 & OUT2 which are reversed in the RT-1052 NVEM)

If you need to flash a STM32 NVEM I suggest you follow Scotts original video. Upload the correct config for your use.

If you need to flash a RT-1052 NVEM i suggest you use the pyOCD method. (Look about 3 pages back)

Once you can ping the boards setup a test config & start using halshow & look at the I/O ping under remora in the tree.

Hope this helps
Alex

More
17 Apr 2023 18:38 - 17 Apr 2023 19:33 #269322 by Teos81
Douuu,
i successfuly reprogrammed the stlink clone with the dap firmware,
Installed Python and pyocd, connected to the RT-1052 nvem and power it on. Try to read or reprogramming fw..
No response at all..
​​​​​​the stlink dapped didn't blink.. solid blu led..

What can i check??
Last edit: 17 Apr 2023 19:33 by Teos81.

More
17 Apr 2023 20:11 #269331 by Teos81
Sorry for the previus post.. i made it works.. programmed back the stlink with the original st-link fw, programmed as dap the first st-link and bingo.. it works..
Already tried the remora fw and flash back the ec300 fw in the repo.. it works also better then before.. the limits error gone away...
I roll back to linux cnc and try well..
Did you think re remora work well with the mks closed loop driver??

Bye Matteo

More
17 Apr 2023 20:39 #269332 by scotta
Great news Matteo! Just need to keep you using LinuxCNC ;-)

Time to create page: 0.489 seconds