Can the OPI5 be Configured to Run LCNC?

More
25 Apr 2023 07:19 #269819 by kanuboy13b
So I ran a few more Latency Tests this evening, to see how much of an impact Wifi has or other factors. Nothing really scientifically controlled. But interesting observations. I have included the results of each test.  Every test was ran for at least 1000 seconds
Test 1: was disabling WiFi while running the latency histogram. So no internet connectivity at all. 
Test 2: enabled WiFi, Loaded a static web page in Chromium.
Test 3: same as test too but ran command line args --nobase --sbins 1000 
Test 4: Wifi Disabled, Ethernet internet connectivity. I noticed the OPi5 was a little warm so I setup a 60mm CPU fan and ran direct air on the  board.
Test5: Intrigued by the Low Latency numbers, I re-ran the WiFi test with the Fan. Surprisingly I got some low numbers on WiFi as well.
Test6: Let Test 5 Continue but played a youtube video in the background. It was at this point I realized I wasn't logged in using Wayland.
Test7: Same as Test 6 but logged in to Gnome with Wayland.

WiFi definitely does seem to effect Latency, but I am curious if the Cooling fan was helping. It was definitely helping the board stay cooler. Without it the hdmi cable connection was warm to the touch, running the fan, it fell to ambient temps, so I imagine the SOC was benefiting as well.
Anyrate. I plan on running some more with Royka's updated Kernel. I wanted to run these ones first before installing the new kernel to see if there was a noticeable difference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: royka

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2023 07:56 #269823 by rodw
Heat can definitely affect things. I was getting error finishing reads on one pretty solid fanless PC on 40 deg C days.
Those numbers are crazy good!

More
25 Apr 2023 11:18 #269845 by royka
Interesting results! Didn't expect the cooling fan would solve the latency "problems" with WiFi.

To be honest I don't expect the updated drivers will improve the latency in this case. It might make it even a little bit worse but the graphics should improve. With these numbers there is plenty of room for that.

More
25 Apr 2023 19:37 #269886 by Guglielmi

Could you try this kernel with most usb wifi drivers enabled:
mega.nz/folder/ewBmjLpZ#QYABAmeoVzq_pFDAsGEV9Q

Dear Royka, you did the miracle!! 
The wifi works.
Could you please send me also the config file? First I would like to check how far I was with mine and also to have in case additional change will be needed...

The following user(s) said Thank You: royka

More
25 Apr 2023 19:41 - 25 Apr 2023 19:57 #269887 by Guglielmi
Sorry, I saw now you posted a new zip with all file inside.. I did not considered to keep the config file from deb.. 
Thanks
Last edit: 25 Apr 2023 19:57 by Guglielmi.

More
25 Apr 2023 20:08 #269892 by Guglielmi
Following the discussion about latency and wifi... could help to use this board instead a USB dongle?
Wifi 6 + BT interface module

More
25 Apr 2023 21:51 #269906 by royka
Great your WiFi does work now, I've no idea if that will be better than a USB dongle, one way to find out. His latest screenshots shows some more than good enough numbers, especially with cooling.

Did some tests with linux 6.2 kernel (non rt), the latency went quick over 2000us. After playing with the irq affinity and taskset the latency was actually pretty good for a non rt kernel and 4 glxgears open.
Moved all irqs to cpus 0-3 (0F) and moved the rtapi pid to cpu 4,6. "taskset -pac 4,6 pidnumber"

Then I thought to open a few other glxgears and the kernel locked up, so not very stable yet. To be continued
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guglielmi

More
27 Apr 2023 01:48 #270027 by royka
Linux 6.2 does actually perform better than I thought but no audio and graphics not as good as with the legacy kernel yet and few other things do not work. First I'd tried the mainline kernel with some patches from balbes150 and the rt patch, it booted up but no display.

Then tried the so called midstream with rt patch and to my surprise that did work, after some adjustments in the kernel config (nearly the same as the config for linux 5.10.110) and copied over some boot args, the latency is almost as good. Screenshots doesn't work so had to take a picture again.

github.com/150balbes/build
Attachments:

More
28 Apr 2023 03:23 #270093 by kanuboy13b
So I tried installing Armbian to boot from a nvme ssd, though instead of booting from MTD flash, i chose SD instead. I wasn't sure if the process failed that I risked the chance of bricking the orange pi and not being able to boot from an SD card again. Well, the install did indeed fail. It immediately failed. After rebooting it went into an emergancy mode asking me to login as root and advising me to run journalctl -xb, plus a few other systemctl options, however it was not letting me boot. Of course me having a lapse in mental fortitude, didn't think to make a copy of the working sd image. So here I am rebuilding the image, but that's beside the point. 
I know Ryoka had mentioned that installing a local version of Armbian could fail on the Nvme, however we are no longer using a local version with the current rt patch correct? If I were to try installing the boot onto the MTD flash instead of SD, do you think it would work, or would I risk another failure that might be harder to recover from.

More
28 Apr 2023 04:06 - 28 Apr 2023 04:08 #270094 by royka
You could check the UUID first in /boot/armbiEnv.txt and /etc/fstab
If it did copy all the files and the boot partition to /boot on your root partition of the nvme you should only need to change these.
The UUID you'll get with "blkid" from terminal.
In fstab you in the name you could remove the line with the /boot mount.

If it boots you don't need to update the uboot on MTD.
The local version is not an issue anymore indeed. You could could also copy it manually with "sudo cp -ra /source/* /destination". Just make sure it's an ext4 partition and it's the first partition.

If it still doesn't boot you could boot from a SD with a recent version of Armbian and just choose to update the bootloader
Last edit: 28 Apr 2023 04:08 by royka.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds