Can the OPI5 be Configured to Run LCNC?

More
19 Apr 2023 08:32 #269413 by rodw
I will be very surprised. Maybe just try the default repo and do  EXPERT/EDGE/BOOKWORM and see if you can redo your Jammy  version first...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2023 10:11 #269418 by royka
Somehow the dtb for the orange pi 5 isn't there. You could copy the dtb to /boot/dtb/rockchip/ 

I did compile with EXPERT=yes and successfully build a Debian Bookworm image with the rt kernel.
Then copied the dtb
sudo apt update && sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace

And it was ready to go.

For better performance you would still need to isolate core 5,7 and install the mali blob
Attachments:

More
19 Apr 2023 10:32 - 19 Apr 2023 14:26 #269421 by royka
I've uploaded a Debian Bookworm image with the dtb, core isolation and rt kernel included.
mega.nz/folder/zhwVyJBK#iWqElAfYL21Rn08PmB55DA

After the first boot:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace

Download and install the driver from:
github.com/numbqq/mali-debs/tree/master/.../arm64/Edge2/wayland

Logout --> choose gnome-wayland --> login

Ready to go

Many things won't work, like file browser, settings menu. weirdly enough it does seem to work with panfrost mesa (linuxcnc will also start).
So if you would really like to use Debian Bookworm you could (after installing the mali blob driver) compile/install panfrost mesa:
[code]sudo apt install build-essential meson git python3-mako libexpat1-dev bison flex libwayland-egl-backend-dev libxext-dev libxfixes-dev libxcb-glx0-dev libxcb-shm0-dev libxcb-dri2-0-dev libxcb-dri3-dev libxcb-present-dev libxshmfence-dev libxxf86vm-dev libxrandr-dev
 libx11-xcb-dev[/code]

git clone https://gitlab.com/panfork/mesa.git --branch csf

mkdir mesa/build && cd mesa/build

[code]meson -Dgallium-drivers=panfrost -Dvulkan-drivers= -Dllvm=disabled --prefix=/opt/panfrost

sudo ninja install

echo /opt/panfrost/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu | sudo tee /etc/ld.so.conf.d/0-panfrost.conf
sudo ldconfig
[/code]
Last edit: 19 Apr 2023 14:26 by royka. Reason: Bugs

More
19 Apr 2023 12:47 - 19 Apr 2023 14:27 #269424 by royka
Found a weird bug with Gnome on Debian Bookworm that it will not open the settings menu under Wayland.

A workaround is: Logout and select Gnome (without wayland) -> login -> set the settings and login again on Gnome on Wayland

You'll also need to disable the energy settings, like you always need to do on a system with LinuxCNC.
The opi5 with this kernel won't wake up so it's preferable to change the power button action too.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2023 14:27 by royka.

More
19 Apr 2023 17:17 #269429 by kanuboy13b
I'll give it a go, I played with Debian ages ago, but I ended up going down the Arch/Manjaro rabbit hole which I use on my Laptop. My goal is really to have a full understanding of how to build my own, not just relying on prebuilt images but for now I'll take what works. I bought a few extra SD cards so I can run experiments while still have a working image.

More
19 Apr 2023 17:23 #269430 by royka
Great! That's the best way to understand how it works indeed. For the image you'd built yourself would only copy the dtb file enough to make it bootable.

More
20 Apr 2023 20:14 #269507 by Guglielmi
Hello guys, after 9 tentatives, I'm exaclty in the same situation of Kanuboy13b!
Tentatives because for 3-4 days the main branch was (in my opinion corrupted, the second menu was not working moving arrows I saw on the screen symbols like ">[OB" instead going down through menu.
After some days doing exactly the same sequence of command, cloning the same repo, finally it works.
Now I have for the second time a ISO perfectly generated but red led, no boot.
Well.. I don't get the issue of dtb, in the boot partition I have 2 folders:

D:\dtb\rockchip
D:\dtb-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588\rockchip

both full of dtb files.. what happens?
Do you mean something else?
What I have do to precisely? replace one of these folder with other dtb files? where I have to pick them?

I will try to build again based on Debian and see what happen, following Royka suggestions.

This job it much more strong than expected. 

More
20 Apr 2023 20:19 - 20 Apr 2023 20:20 #269508 by Guglielmi
In previous build, in final step, I saw attached warnings.
Could be critical?
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Apr 2023 20:20 by Guglielmi.

More
20 Apr 2023 20:29 - 20 Apr 2023 20:31 #269512 by kanuboy13b
royka has provided the dtb file in his latest zip, you need one that is specific to the orange pi for it to boot.
what I did was mount the boot partition and copy the dtb file in the location where all the dtb files are located. If you " ls -la" the /boot/dtb/rockchip directory prior to copying you'll notice there isn't one with the the orange pi 5 in the name. Hence why it isn't booting.

Once I copied the dtb file from royka's zip file to the boot partition, I was able to boot.

Royka, one thing I wanted ot ask is, what did you have to do to get the rtl8192cu driver for the kernel to work. Now that I was able to boot the armbian image I compiled, I noticed I was back to the point of not having wifi again.

I did do some snooping around the kernel config file and find a line in the config file for the rtl8192cu saying it was not set. I changed this to "=y" and started compiling an new image last night right before bed. No idea if it worked or not, I was going to test it when I got home from work. But, I figured I ask if that was the process or if there are other steps involved to get the OPi5 to recognize my usb dongle.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2023 20:31 by kanuboy13b.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guglielmi, royka

More
20 Apr 2023 21:36 #269522 by royka
Yes changing the line
"# CONFIG_RTL8192CU is not set" to "CONFIG_RTL8192CU=y" will probably work in this case.

If you did make a change before in the config you might have a file linux-rockchip-rk3588-legacy.config.defconfig

This is since the new build system, I assume that when this file exists
it overrules the "default" linux-rockchip-rk3588-legacy.config

You could check after you've installed your new compiled kernel with:
cat /boot/config* | grep CONFIG_RTL8192CU

Usually you'll change the config in the menu because in some cases it automatically set some other required options.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds