Rigid Tapping Help

More
27 Jul 2018 16:31 #114956 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Rigid Tapping Help

The hal meter initially shows "true" when the window pops up and changes to "false" when I rotate the spindle by hand. It stays false after that
Is it safe to assume that my encoder is shot?.

On the contrary, it shows that everything is working properly.

(You should find that if you set the index-enable to true that it sets to zero again at exactly the same spot in the spindle rotation, and that is the point of it. LinuxCNC motion looks for the index-enable resetting to false to start the spindle-synched move.
)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2018 17:13 #114964 by NCPatrol
Replied by NCPatrol on topic Rigid Tapping Help

The hal meter initially shows "true" when the window pops up and changes to "false" when I rotate the spindle by hand. It stays false after that
Is it safe to assume that my encoder is shot?.

On the contrary, it shows that everything is working properly.

(You should find that if you set the index-enable to true that it sets to zero again at exactly the same spot in the spindle rotation, and that is the point of it. LinuxCNC motion looks for the index-enable resetting to false to start the spindle-synched move.
)

So why no =/- change on the pins when rotating?

And I guess, if the hal indicates the sensor itself is working, where do I go from here?

More
27 Jul 2018 17:17 #114965 by andypugh
The encoder index pulse might just be too short to see in halmeter (it might b a fixed-length pulse).

Now we know that the hardware is good, can you remind us what the problem is?

More
27 Jul 2018 17:18 #114966 by andypugh
Can you check the question I asked earlier?

Does the encoder count up in M3 and down in M4 mode?

More
27 Jul 2018 17:26 #114967 by NCPatrol

Can you check the question I asked earlier?

Does the encoder count up in M3 and down in M4 mode?

Basically, tried a simple tap program. The spindle will move in to position above the hole, spin up and then sit there. Initial presumption was it was not seeing index, but now I'm not sure.

Basically, I'm a little behind the curve here. I bought this machine with little linux experience and I'm playing catch up. The previous owner did use it for rigid tapping, however he also did a servo conversion on it not too long ago and I'm not sure if he used it for tapping after the conversion....it's possible that the config is not currently correct.

I posted the gcode and the hal/ini files on the first page of the thread for reference.

More
27 Jul 2018 17:33 #114969 by andypugh
Can you please just do the experiment?
Set halmeter to look at the spindle encoder counts and then run the spindle in both directions. Also look at motion.spindle-revs

The behaviour you see is typical of an encoder counting backwards.

More
27 Jul 2018 17:37 #114970 by NCPatrol
I'll give it another shot in a couple hours, though I'm pretty sure I already did that and it wasn't showing any count.

More
27 Jul 2018 22:02 #114992 by NCPatrol

Can you please just do the experiment?
Set halmeter to look at the spindle encoder counts and then run the spindle in both directions. Also look at motion.spindle-revs

The behaviour you see is typical of an encoder counting backwards.

OK, so I think you're on to something!

Both spindle encoder count and spindle revs go down when the spindle is turning forward (clockwise when looking down on the table) and, of course, they co up when it's spinning in reverse.

What's the fix? Is it as easy as swapping the A + B wires at the board?

More
27 Jul 2018 22:04 #114993 by andypugh
Yes, you can swap A snd B wires, or you can set the encoder scale to a negative number in the HAL (or INI, if it comes in to the HAL from the iNI in your setup)

More
28 Jul 2018 00:02 #114999 by NCPatrol

Yes, you can swap A snd B wires, or you can set the encoder scale to a negative number in the HAL (or INI, if it comes in to the HAL from the iNI in your setup)

You da man!!!

Swapped the wires (didn't want to have to go edit all my backup configs) and ran my test program and it appears to be working just as I'd expect.

Thanks for all the help!!

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds