Another tab for WebCam

More
05 Mar 2010 14:02 - 07 Mar 2010 12:31 #2198 by eslavko
Hello...

I just wonder how to align coordinate offset to drill PCB. Then I got idea to try webcam. So I just plug cheap webcam to USB port and download 1'st program for capturing video that I found. So I instal "cheese" as is already known to Ubuntu. The image I got surprise me. I'm ductaped camera onto router body and set focus to aprox 5cm (2"). The image come out perfect. I can clear see movment of 0.05mm (0.002"). I think this can be very usable for manualy find edges. Touch probe can't be used for centering on flat material. So I came on idea how to include camera view in axis alone. We already have tabs for Preview and DRO. So one more tab here to show webcam?! I'm shure that this can be done just I'm not capable to do that.
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Mar 2010 12:31 by eslavko.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2010 12:25 #2222 by eslavko
Replied by eslavko on topic Re:Another tab for WebCam
Hello...
With my experience of C language (close to 2 week experience :P ) I manage to strip out all "garbage" from gqcam. There are a lot of sliders and other thing's but I need only preview windov. So I added crosshair to image. I don't know how this can be done in python as I think the another tab for webcam can be great for aligning job. Touchprobe are great but can't be used to align some job's (PCB as example) So here is picture grabed from my computer. Of course image is not integrated inside axis! I just put program over axis. In this way it's easy to adjust job under 0.01mm tolerance. (I can easy see one halfsteep motion from my stepper 0.0075mm)

Is there realy none interested for that widget? :ohmy:

The hole under crosshair has 0.5mm dia (0.02")
Attachments:

More
08 Mar 2010 13:31 #2230 by alex_joni
Replied by alex_joni on topic Re:Another tab for WebCam
Looks very nice.
I don't see the benefit of integrating it into AXIS.. why doesn't it work as it is now?

Regards,
Alex

More
08 Mar 2010 14:02 #2231 by eslavko
Well...

When you jog machine the webcam window is on bottom (under axis window) so it's not visible.
If I got focus on webcam window to see cam then jog key's doesn't work any more.

• rvt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2010 14:12 #2232 by rvt
Replied by rvt on topic Re:Another tab for WebCam
I think this also a nice thing to have for a group of users.

I know the mach3 people has this to, and I know that if a person jumps of a bridge, we shouldn't jump of a bridge, but it can potentially be a nice thing to have. The reason I like it better within axis is that you don't have several windows cluttered around on a desktop (yes I know about desktop managers that can prevent this, but the work awkward for non tech people).

@eslavko: You can still solve this problem with using a probe, here is how you do it :

Ries

More
08 Mar 2010 14:32 #2233 by eslavko
Hello...

I already see that probe/jig. Can be used but I think camera is more elegant. (and have one lying around)
I'm never use Mach (just use TurboCnc) but like some thing from it.

I'm fresh to EMC and Linux. So I still seeking and reading what can I do.

For example. Tool from previous post need some routine to execute.
It's must move to touch all 4 limits (better 6 touch's) But how to execute that code.

If I incorporate that in main ngc file then I'm forced to execute every time.
I can call in MDI mode with o<routineName>call but for now that have problems.
I like idea to have button's for that (like pyVCP extension on right) but I don't know how to link that button to execute some gcode.

stil have a lot of question to get answers.

• rvt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2010 15:19 #2235 by rvt
Replied by rvt on topic Re:Another tab for WebCam
Potentially the probe will give you more accurate results and faster.
Also in most situations you can use the bit for the probing, with a camera you would need replace the camera with your bit again and you need to re-adjust your Z if thsi extra step is needed depends on your equipment though.

However, like I said before there are a group of people that might want or even need such a camera setup, even if just to look at the process while the machine is doing it's job so such a window within Axis can be potentially helpfull.
I would like to have the camera setup aswell, but I will make the center finder first...

Here is some more info : www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42313
www.artsoftcontrols.com/forum/index.php?topic=2519.0

Ries

More
08 Mar 2010 17:33 - 08 Mar 2010 17:38 #2236 by eslavko
I think the camera is more accurate. In case if you use jig from one of previous post you must 1'st set the jig in correct position and after that use as a touch probe. Camera give some magnification and job should be more accurate.
In my case I wil install camera permanently and use some offset from dril center so I don't need to remove tool at all. For driling PCB the tool height can be set with naked eye. No super accuracy nedded here.

For finding center of hole in solid block the probe will be acurate and I wil use it in such case.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2010 17:38 by eslavko.

More
08 Mar 2010 17:37 #2237 by eslavko
I think the camera is more accurate. In case if you use jig from one of previous post you must 1st set the jig in correct position and after that use as a touch probe. Camera give some magnification and job should be more accurate.
In my case I wil install camera permanently and use some offset from dril center so I donĀ“t need to remove tool at all. For driling PCB the tool height can be set with naked eye. No super accuracy nedded here.

For finding center of hole in solid block the probe will be acurate and I wil use it in such case.

More
08 Mar 2010 18:31 #2239 by alex_joni
Replied by alex_joni on topic Re:Another tab for WebCam
that is probably true for a M$ windows.
in linux you can define the window under the mouse pointer to have focus, without bringin it to front.
It's just been disabled by default in the last couple of years to ease the transition for folks acustomed to the "windows" way.

Regards,
Alex

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds