Another tab for WebCam

More
08 Mar 2010 20:34 #2241 by eslavko
Replied by eslavko on topic Re:Another tab for WebCam
alex_joni wrote:

that is probably true for a M$ windows.
in linux you can define the window under the mouse pointer to have focus, without bringin it to front.
It's just been disabled by default in the last couple of years to ease the transition for folks acustomed to the "windows" way.

Regards,
Alex

I'm too new in linux and doesn't know how to do that. I can't find solution for:
What to do to start EMC in maximized window...
What to do to have camera window always on top (unles is minimized)

How to make button in pyVCP to execute some Gcode or M1xx code

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rvt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2010 21:33 #2243 by rvt
Replied by rvt on topic Re:Another tab for WebCam
Alex,

I am not trying to defend that the camera is a bad idea. I think it's a good idea to have some form of camera function within axis rather then separate windows floating around. I personally don't mind the floating windows (I have a mac, every window is floating, currently 30 windows open)

When it comes to accuracy I think that a probe can be potentially more accurate, specially that afterward you don't have to change your bit anymore, a probe doesn't care about parallax or ultra small parts, but this is not the discussion abouth what's best.

If you setup a camera permanently you always will have some form of parallax going on. If you put the camera in your spindle then you have to change that later again for a real bit AND then do high adjustment again.

I think if we want to have some for of camera IN axis then this should also add some function like camera selection, color channel selection light that can be controller by axis using a PWM to setup the amouth of light added to the workpiece.

May be when I have some time I can add that function and supply a patch for it, unless you want to do that...

Ries

More
08 Mar 2010 22:22 - 08 Mar 2010 22:23 #2244 by alex_joni
Replied by alex_joni on topic Re:Another tab for WebCam
* system / preferences / windows / [ ] Select windows when the mouse moves over them
* for starting EMC maximized search the wiki.linuxcnc.org:
start AXIS maximized

Regards,
Alex
Last edit: 08 Mar 2010 22:23 by alex_joni.

More
09 Mar 2010 07:16 #2252 by eslavko
alex_joni wrote:

* system / preferences / windows / [ ] Select windows when the mouse moves over them
* for starting EMC maximized search the wiki.linuxcnc.org:
start AXIS maximized

Regards,
Alex

Hello...
Select windows when the mouse moves over them works for jogging. But when I like to execute homing, touch off or others the camera window goes into back. Not realy what I want. And other windows comes up where not nedd to be. (date for example)

For starting maximized I think there should be some other way. I don't like to install new application just po push maximize button. There are probabli some vay to do inside source with few lines of code. Probably can be configured in *.ini too. (eg START_MAXIMIZED=1).

Today I just discover that I don't need to recompile EMC just for changing AXIS. So seems that I go to learn python and make some mess inside AXIS :laugh:

More
09 Mar 2010 22:38 #2261 by alex_joni

More
12 Mar 2010 07:01 #2284 by marzetti
Replied by marzetti on topic Re:Another tab for WebCam
Wow, great work eslavko!
Looks like something I could really use. Can you give some more details on how to implement this?

Thanks,
Greg

More
12 Mar 2010 08:12 #2286 by eslavko
Nothing special here.

Just download gqcam from web to check if work with you cam. (you can install with package manager in ubuntu).
If that work's then you make next step.
Uninstal gqcam...
Get source from the web (sourceforge)
Compile itself.
Test if works.
That's all.

Of course if you can live with all that sliders under camera window.
If you don't like it then ask me for modified source (or modify yourself).
As I "cripled source" I don't want to upload in the form as is.
I' plan to port that into python and make as a module for the axis. (As I want to ba all in one window).

Don't expect to be done fast!. I didn't write even "hello world" in the python! (I write that in C and not much more :woohoo: )
... and tcl is needed too.

I just wander why so much language is used to make EMC2 ussable. C, CC, GTK/TK, Python, probably some more and just not discover that. :(

More
25 Sep 2010 18:45 #4336 by marzetti
Slavko-
I have finally gotten a webcam (logitech c260) which works well with Cheese but with gqcam I only get a solid green image. So it looks as though I will have to try and modify the Cheese source to get the crosshair overlay. Could you share your modified source for gqcam so I can get an idea of how to do this?

Thanks,
Greg

More
04 Oct 2010 13:04 #4510 by psha
Replied by psha on topic Re:Another tab for WebCam
I have some success in embeding video tab into axis. Everything is described in wiki

wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?Axis_Embed_Video
The following user(s) said Thank You: ccdodo

More
06 Oct 2010 19:56 #4540 by marzetti
Thanks. I never would have found that in the Wiki without your help.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds