Plasma THC

More
26 Aug 2018 22:43 #116624 by cncjohn
Replied by cncjohn on topic Plasma THC
Hi I'm using a chinese 5 axis controller to move stepper motors on a belt driven machine. Worked well as a cnc router but now I want to switch to plasma. All I'm doing right now is trying to get the parallel ports set up and the machine config to start up. Then I'll take the pc to the workshop and hook up the machine. I have attached an error file. This is the beginning bit of the attached file. Error in bold.

Confused for now but I feel sure this will work with a little help
Thanks

Print file information:
RUN_IN_PLACE=no
LINUXCNC_DIR=
LINUXCNC_BIN_DIR=/usr/bin
LINUXCNC_TCL_DIR=/usr/lib/tcltk/linuxcnc
LINUXCNC_SCRIPT_DIR=
LINUXCNC_RTLIB_DIR=/usr/realtime-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae/modules/linuxcnc
LINUXCNC_CONFIG_DIR=
LINUXCNC_LANG_DIR=/usr/share/linuxcnc/tcl/msgs
INIVAR=inivar
HALCMD=halcmd
LINUXCNC_EMCSH=/usr/bin/wish8.5
LINUXCNC - 2.7.14
Machine configuration directory is '/home/john/linuxcnc/configs/thc-toma-stepper-final'
Machine configuration file is 'thc_toma.ini'
INIFILE=/home/john/linuxcnc/configs/thc-toma-stepper-final/thc_toma.ini
PARAMETER_FILE=plasma.var
TASK=milltask
HALUI=halui
DISPLAY=axis
Starting LinuxCNC...
Starting LinuxCNC server program: linuxcncsvr
Loading Real Time OS, RTAPI, and HAL_LIB modules
Starting LinuxCNC IO program: io
Starting HAL User Interface program: halui
Found file(REL): ./stepper.hal
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
Killing task linuxcncsvr, PID=3778
Removing HAL_LIB, RTAPI, and Real Time OS modules
Removing NML shared memory segments

Debug file information:
Error: could not insert module /usr/realtime-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae/modules/linuxcnc/trivkins.ko: Unknown symbol in module
./stepper.hal:5: exit value: 1
./stepper.hal:5: insmod for trivkins failed, returned -1
See the output of 'dmesg' for more information.
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
Stopping realtime threads
Unloading hal components

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2018 02:07 #116633 by snugglylovemuffin
Replied by snugglylovemuffin on topic Plasma THC
I'm not the best person to help you with the problems relating to code. Did you go through the Stepconf process to build your machine file? If you've altered that file at all, double check to make sure your alterations are not erroneous.

The next step, if that doesn't help is to go to the "stepconf wizard" and see if the guys there can help at all.

What kind of start is your CUT50? I'm going to insane lengths to protect my electronics from the HF start of my Eastwood versacut45

More
27 Aug 2018 05:13 #116634 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Plasma THC
In the stepper.hal file you have some symbol that is causing the failure, so check that or download the config again.
As a rule, do not edit the config files with word processors, use only text editors.
@Muffin,
Proper grounding is of utmost importance when using HV/HF start plasma, every cable needs to be shielded and only one side of the shielding connected to ground, usually at the electronics side.
Even after setting up everything properly you might still get issues at arc ignition due to keyboard and mouse. Had several cases that i had to change keyboards as they had unshielded cables. Use older keyboards and mouse if you have any.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snugglylovemuffin

More
27 Aug 2018 16:08 #116652 by snugglylovemuffin
Replied by snugglylovemuffin on topic Plasma THC
I definitely need to upgrade my torch. How about my computer? Will I just need to ground the case, or should I just try to put as much distance between the two as possible?

More
27 Aug 2018 16:37 #116656 by tommylight
Power cord must be 3 prong one for US and Switzerland, 2 prong plus grounding the rest of the world. No other grounding for the PC.
Distance helps a lot.

More
29 Aug 2018 21:27 #116828 by cncjohn
Thanks. I have been looking at the simulator config (by_interface.parport.plasma-thc-sim) and it loads but as I have seen somewhere on the forum I also get the joint 2 error.

Is this a good framework to start from and the insert your customisations into it?

I will be trying to make it work with the Proma THC Compact. I am confused about the Arc-ok signal - where is this wired in the system?

Thanks again
John

More
30 Aug 2018 05:49 #116836 by tommylight
What type of Proma THC do you have ? The SD type will work with any mill config as it has it's own controls and just sends the step/dir signals to the drive. The 150 type has outputs for UP/DOWN/ARCOK that have to be wired to the parallel port inputs or to the Mesa card inputs, this requires a different config, namely the toma_THC config for parallel port or Grotius config for parallel or Mesa.

More
30 Aug 2018 11:06 #116843 by cncjohn
Ok now we're talking - any config. Haven't seen Arcok output so it must be the SD. It has onyl step in step out dir in dir out. Will check to confirm this afternoon.

I guess that probably means I may struggle to display the LEDs on the VCP panel correctly but that is a minor problem,
Thanks for your speedy reply and all of the effort you put in over the years :)

More
30 Aug 2018 13:53 #116859 by tommylight
Well, in case of the SD you have no control over it, it has it's own memory to return to it's previous position after each cut, it has no ARCOK or any other signal at all.
The good thing is - it is easy to set up and use
The bad thing is - there is no way to control it from linuxcnc.
You need a simple config so that will make the installation and configuration easy.

More
16 May 2019 19:24 #133996 by vsjadhav
Replied by vsjadhav on topic Plasma THC
I am getting same message for all grotius gmoccupies I download.
How did you solved that problem of
Found file (REL):

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds