XHC LHB04B-4: fails to detect - SOLVED

More
01 Dec 2019 20:27 #151689 by travis036
Progress has been made. i created an almost empty config file, that just loads the xhc-whb04b-6 module. then i was able to open LinuxCNC, and the HAL meter to see what xhc pendant pins were exposed. so i just have to go through the original hal file, and make the connections. i have some of the buttons working, but i still can't jog any of the axis. i will go through the source code and see if i can figure out some stuff.

~Travis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2019 21:18 #151700 by andypugh
If you are using 2.8 / 2.9 then you may not be able to jog before homing.

unhomed - can only jog joints
homed - can only jog axes

(An over-simplification)

You will see that there are both axis and joint jog pins that are likely to need to be connected.

More
01 Dec 2019 22:42 #151709 by travis036
ok, fair enough. i only jog before homing when testing anyway.
course, i can't home until the dev computer is plugged into the machine, but i can test most of the button configurations, as i figure them out.

~Travis

More
03 Dec 2019 06:04 #151817 by Mike_Eitel
In my remembering :
If you set homing order to 0 (deactivate) you can home without machine at any position

More
03 Dec 2019 10:31 #151831 by andypugh

In my remembering :
If you set homing order to 0 (deactivate) you can home without machine at any position

No, that doesn't work. You need to set the homing _velocity_ to zero to configure for instant homing.

More
03 Dec 2019 14:12 #151867 by travis036
ok, instant homing works, and so does jogging (after homed).
I am currently loading stretch linuxcnc onto the production cnc computer (keeping the dev computer as just development), so at some point, i can test everything on my machine. bit of a day off from work, due to snow, so i have the time to check things.

interesting to note, i found an alarm system pager (with transmitter) in my electronics stash. it supports 2 channels, so i was thinking i could connect one (via relay) to a HAL pin for ESTOP output, and the other for program completion, if i can find a HAL pin for it. that way, if i step away from the machine for a moment, i will be alerted of an ESTOP (red LED), or that the program has completed (green LED). may work, may not. just an interesting idea.
if only there was a way to detect tool bit breakage...

~Travis

More
03 Dec 2019 14:20 #151868 by andypugh

interesting to note, i found an alarm system pager (with transmitter) in my electronics stash. it supports 2 channels, so i was thinking i could connect one (via relay) to a HAL pin for ESTOP output, and the other for program completion, if i can find a HAL pin for it. that way, if i step away from the machine for a moment, i will be alerted of an ESTOP (red LED), or that the program has completed (green LED). may work, may not. just an interesting idea.

I often go back inside to the warmth and open a little tell-tale window on my Mac to monitor the programme.
ssh -Y andypugh@harrison.local
halcmd loadusr halmeter -s pin motion.program-line
That shows the G-code line and goes to zero on tool-change, programme end (and probably e-stop)

[code]if only there was a way to detect tool bit breakage...[/quote]If you had spindle current monitoring then you could detect it as a sudden current drop during a G1 / G2 / G3 move, or a sudden rise during a G0.

More
03 Dec 2019 15:14 #151877 by travis036
Hmm, so what i need then is some sort of conditioning testing. so when the number rises above zero, it sets a flag, so that when it then falls to zero again, it triggers a pulse out the parallel port pin. i have two parallel ports, so i have some spares to use.
i think a TCL file is what i am looking for, currently reading the docs on them...

~Travis

More
03 Dec 2019 15:25 #151880 by andypugh
HAL Tcl is just a way to script HAL. The code doesn't actually run more than once.

(Assuming you are talking about tool break detection)

A better starting point is linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/hal/comp.html

More
03 Dec 2019 15:45 #151883 by travis036

HAL Tcl is just a way to script HAL. The code doesn't actually run more than once.

(Assuming you are talking about tool break detection)

actually i was talking about the pager idea, as i am not always near a terminal, but i will bring in the tool breakage later.

A better starting point is linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/hal/comp.html

Thank you, i will look into that.

~Travis

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds