Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.

More
21 Feb 2021 12:38 - 12 Apr 2024 17:49 #199601 by RotarySMP
Hi All,

I bought a Schaublin 125-CNC with pretty good bones which will need the LinuxCNC modernisation.

Mark
Last edit: 12 Apr 2024 17:49 by RotarySMP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb, tommylight, anfänger, TobiWanCNC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2021 13:34 #199607 by tommylight
I feel a build log going on .... :)

More
21 Feb 2021 13:56 #199609 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.
Nice, I was eyeing that one as well but sadly, or luckily for you, I have no more space for yet another machine :)
I think user trilobyte has done a refit of one of these.
Thanks for the video.

More
21 Feb 2021 15:55 - 12 Apr 2024 17:51 #199631 by RotarySMP
Yes, trilobyte's retrofit on the CNCece.de ...
www.cncecke.de/forum/showthread.php?5714...&highlight=schaublin
... was definately a big motivation for me. He measured the base and confirmed it would fit through my door way nearly two years ago. I was tempted by a 125CCN locally, but it was sold to another guy (who has become a friend - Schaublins unite :)!
Glad I hit the buy it now. I have heard from a number of guys who were watching this auction.

Andy Pugh recommended I look at the Mesa 7i29 / 7i49 to run the existing motors and resolvers. The 7i29 doesn have a manual listed on the Mesa web site.

I really like how Trilobyte shoe horned everything into the Pneumatics bay in the machine stand, and deleted the huge electrical cabinet. Pretty amazing bit of pneumatic tetris he did.
Mark
Last edit: 12 Apr 2024 17:51 by RotarySMP.

More
21 Feb 2021 16:02 #199632 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.
Have you seen this:

www.mesanet.com/pdf/motion/7i29man.pdf

It's definitely nice to do away with the extra cabinet and it is usually quite amazing what can be built into those machine stands using modern power electronics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP

More
22 Feb 2021 09:07 #199689 by anfänger
Really looking forward to see this retrofit
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP

More
22 Feb 2021 11:03 #199695 by RotarySMP

Have you seen this:

www.mesanet.com/pdf/motion/7i29man.pdf

It's definitely nice to do away with the extra cabinet and it is usually quite amazing what can be built into those machine stands using modern power electronics.

Thanks for the link, that was not available in my browser.

I am having some trouble weighing up the pros and cons of my axis drive options.

Option 1
- retain the permanent magnet DC servos and resolvers and use MESA 7i29 and 7i49 to interface them.
Pro
- Not physical change to motors, and their wiring solutions, which are very well protected in well engineered conduits and of high quality.
Con
- It is not clear how many mesa cards I would need. I'd like to have the PC up in the user module, and ethernet to a FPGA Mesa in the electrical cabinet. Plus a 7i73 back up in the user module.
- Need to retain the huge three phase transformer and add a (big?) rectifier to provide DC muscle power to the 7i29
- Lack of knowledge of the control technology (resovers, 7i29, 7i49 etc).

Option 2
- Replace the axis drive motors with 750W AC servos. I'd like to use the 7i96, or 7i76E (need to add up the IO). + 7i73
Pro
- Dump the huge transformer.
- Small compact drivers.
- Step/Dir interface (not sure if that is an advantage or not?)
-but also like to return the AC Servo driver encoder signal to LinuxCNC to close the position loop (or is that overkill, if you have no linear scales).
- Quiet/smooth
- leverage 7i96 knowledge I already gained.
Con
- Need to mechanically mount motors, need new pulley etc
- Not sure if I can get the cables routed down the existing, very well engineered conduits.

I am estimating that the price if probably a wash. The 7i29 and 7i49 are pretty expensive, and there would be other cards as well. It might come out little less than two AC servos plus shipping and customs though.

Getting everything into the current pneumatic bay and deleting the huge control cabinet is a major design goal, so the more compact solution will probably win out over the most inexpensive.
Mark

More
22 Feb 2021 11:59 - 22 Feb 2021 13:58 #199696 by anfänger
Ive done both, with my Chiron I kept the old servo‘s and drives.
With the Gildemeister I scrapped everything and made all new parts, but I kept the big Control cabinet, cause I didn‘t have a smaller one.
I don’t know If I would go for step Dir with servo‘s. But mainly cause I have no experience with step dir.
The gamble is: will some of the old parts fail in the near future...
Last edit: 22 Feb 2021 13:58 by anfänger.

More
22 Feb 2021 12:23 - 22 Feb 2021 12:24 #199698 by RotarySMP
The drivers are enormous, and strangely enough are Step/Dir.

Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Feb 2021 12:24 by RotarySMP.

More
22 Feb 2021 12:57 #199700 by db1981
Replied by db1981 on topic Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.
Hi Mark,

Do you know what kind of Servos that are? brushed or brushless? Seems like brushed motors (+ - , 3 and 4 are thin thermo sensor wires?).

Are this realy resolvers? (may be wrong word in the schematics?) Usally at this time with brushed motors there are Tachos oder Encoders mounted. There is no need for the DC Amp to know the rotor position. And for an normal resolver there are min. 6 wires needed.
looks like an encoder (+,-,A,B,Zero).

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds