Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.

More
08 Mar 2021 18:30 - 08 Mar 2021 18:32 #201458 by RotarySMP
Good point. Didn't think of that. Although given the that a variator is a pretty imprecise system, if you pulse the variator speed change motor at a fast enough rate, that may not even show up on the surface finish.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2021 18:32 by RotarySMP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2021 18:41 #201463 by andypugh

Good point. Didn't think of that. Although given the that a variator is a pretty imprecise system, if you pulse the variator speed change motor at a fast enough rate, that may not even show up on the surface finish.

You need to make sure that your bang-bang PID has enough hysteresis to not pulse the motor _too_ fast.

Trying to use a relay to drive an inductive load with 1kHz PWM is a way to destroy a relay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J Green

More
08 Mar 2021 19:05 #201468 by db1981
Replied by db1981 on topic Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.
please consider, this is a 4/6 pol Motor from the 70s. It will have insul class B, if you have very much luck evtl. D. But it won't be designed for vfd use. So max usable range on an vfd should be >40 <60 hz. Smelling motor coils would be the smallest problem, an vfds IGBT modul which get high voltage rollovers under load, will become a very nice pyro effect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anfänger, J Green

More
08 Mar 2021 19:19 #201470 by db1981
Replied by db1981 on topic Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.
this is a better explanation, as if i would try to write it english.

library.e.abb.com/public/fec1a7b62d27335...6a0fd/voltstress.pdf

look at page 15. thermal stress is not the big problem in our hobby use, but the (sideshow)voltage effects from an pwm drive are the problems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb, J Green

More
08 Mar 2021 19:30 #201477 by tommylight

Trying to use a relay to drive an inductive load with 1kHz PWM is a way to destroy a relay.

I did make a THC that used two relays to deive a DC motor and it worked for a while ... till one of the contacts got stuck and sent the torch sky high ! :)

More
08 Mar 2021 19:44 #201478 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.

please consider, this is a 4/6 pol Motor from the 70s. It will have insul class B, if you have very much luck evtl. D. But it won't be designed for vfd use.

Yes, I tried running the spindle motor on my aciera mill from the 70s on a VFD, it worked only for a couple of weeks before the motor gave out.

More
08 Mar 2021 22:50 #201497 by andypugh

Yes, I tried running the spindle motor on my aciera mill from the 70s on a VFD, it worked only for a couple of weeks before the motor gave out.

I have been running the original motors on my 1964 Holbrook lathe and (probably) 1970s Harrison milling machine on VFDs for many years now with no issues. Possibly Brook Motors used a different insulation to the Aciera supplier?

More
09 Mar 2021 00:03 #201504 by J Green
Replied by J Green on topic Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.
Wondering if those using a VFD in their home shop have used a AM radio to get a feel about the amount of radiated electrical noise emitted ?
VFDs made in the 1990s could stop the neighbours listening to " The Rush Limbaugh Show" . I thought that was a design feature ----
Just curious if the newer VFD s affect AM radio reception .
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoWerna

More
09 Mar 2021 00:16 #201505 by J Green
Replied by J Green on topic Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.
Mark
Noticed that Jaro ( 2-speed spindle configuration ) has posted his new working HAL & INI files for his Schaublin Mill. Think his mill uses a 2 speed transmission .
Might look at how he used andypugh's code .

More
09 Mar 2021 10:09 - 09 Mar 2021 10:28 #201530 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit.

I have been running the original motors on my 1964 Holbrook lathe and (probably) 1970s Harrison milling machine on VFDs for many years now with no issues. Possibly Brook Motors used a different insulation to the Aciera supplier?

I know there are people out there who have been running motors with isolation class B on VFD's for years. I guess what I'm trying to say is that using a VFD on motors with isolation class lower than F can indeed destroy the motor. So really it comes down to how badly it's going to hurt to replace that motor.

Wondering if those using a VFD in their home shop have used a AM radio to get a feel about the amount of radiated electrical noise emitted ?

VFD's are noisy devices that is why the manuals tell us to follow proper grounding and filtering practice. Usually interference comes from installations that have been poorly executed. The most annoying problem I have is that the filters sometimes trigger the RCD.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2021 10:28 by Aciera.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.437 seconds