Mori MVJR Build Log

More
07 Nov 2011 16:06 #14649 by schmidtmotorworks
BigJohnT wrote:

Great news! You'll soon be making chips...

John

Yah, I can hardly believe it.
I learned so many things in this project.
Thanks for everyone's help, I never could have got this far alone.

Now the main thing that seems to be left is PID etc.

The machine has a whole new personality, it's like "CNC extreme makeover".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2011 16:18 #14651 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
schmidtmotorworks wrote:

It still runs smooth but a little more than twice as fast as i expected so I will probably start adjusting the pots tonight. Is it correct to do this before PID have been established, or will I need to come back and do that again later?

You probably don't need to do any twiddling, if "some" PWM is a certain speed and "some more" PWM is "more speed" then that is all the PID controller really needs to work with.

They have big problems if "some more" = "more speed" and then "a bit more" = "a bit less speed". You should never get than problem with an electric motor, but it plays havoc with an engine idle speed controller.

More
07 Nov 2011 18:29 #14657 by schmidtmotorworks
I am thinking of buying this PID tuning tips book, does anyone knw if it is worthwhile?

www.pidtuning.net/

More
07 Nov 2011 18:59 #14658 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Mori MVJR Build Log
Ouch! a hundred bucks... so have you used HalScope yet to observe your following error?

That is all you need really... set up a motion trigger on the scope and watch the following error as you tune. Following error smaller you did good, bigger and back that setting to the level before.

John

More
07 Nov 2011 19:07 #14659 by andypugh
schmidtmotorworks wrote:

I am thinking of buying this PID tuning tips book, does anyone knw if it is worthwhile?

For $97? I wouldn't think so.

At least try the simple method here, to get yourself closer:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/motion_pid_theory.html

You can set up a simple bit of G code to do 1" (or 25mm) moves in a loop, then tweak the PID until it looks good on Halscope.

More
07 Nov 2011 21:05 - 07 Nov 2011 21:15 #14661 by schmidtmotorworks
OK, maybe I'm imagining this is a bigger problem than it is.

This is what I have figured out so for, please tell me if I'm basicly on track.

I'm going to set up HALScope to monitor two things.

1. "pid.(whatever axis goes here).error"
2. "axis..(whatever axis goes here).motor-pos-cmd"

I also have to set up a command and a trigger that will execute the command and record the results.

Then I will tune P,I,DFF0,FF1,FF2 to mnimise the error.

Is there any special stragey for FF0,FF1 and FF2? or just more of the same?

You can set up a simple bit of G code to do 1" (or 25mm) moves in a loop, then tweak the PID until it looks good on Halscope.

I don't think I understand this one, does the loop run continually and I watch the scope or is it triggered?
Any detail about how to set that up would be appriciated.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2011 21:15 by schmidtmotorworks.

More
07 Nov 2011 21:10 #14662 by schmidtmotorworks
andypugh wrote:

schmidtmotorworks wrote:

It still runs smooth but a little more than twice as fast as i expected so I will probably start adjusting the pots tonight. Is it correct to do this before PID have been established, or will I need to come back and do that again later?

You probably don't need to do any twiddling, if "some" PWM is a certain speed and "some more" PWM is "more speed" then that is all the PID controller really needs to work with.

They have big problems if "some more" = "more speed" and then "a bit more" = "a bit less speed". You should never get than problem with an electric motor, but it plays havoc with an engine idle speed controller.

OK thanks is there any rule of thumb I can use for setting the velocity, with the motor off? Some % higher?

More
07 Nov 2011 23:19 #14664 by andypugh
schmidtmotorworks wrote:

1. "pid.(whatever axis goes here).error"
2. "axis..(whatever axis goes here).motor-pos-cmd"

..motor-pos-fb
Makes is clear how the position is following command.

I don't think I understand this one, does the loop run continually and I watch the scope or is it triggered?
Any detail about how to set that up would be appriciated.[/quote]

Yes, just set up the G-code to run continuously.

O1 REPEAT
G0 X1
G0 X0
O1 ENDREPEAT

In the Axis gui there is a utility (machine->calibrate) that lets you adjust the PID controller parameters on the fly.

More
08 Nov 2011 04:33 #14665 by schmidtmotorworks
OK I almost got it.

So I will put this in a file and run it? (this will be the first program I have run in EMC)

O1 REPEAT
G0 X1
G0 X0
O1 ENDREPEAT

Then in Halscope (if I understand correctly) I think I need to set up a trigger, is there some way I can make some part of the program the trigger?

More
08 Nov 2011 10:58 #14669 by andypugh
schmidtmotorworks wrote:

So I will put this in a file and run it? (this will be the first program I have run in EMC)
O1 REPEAT
G0 X1
G0 X0
O1 ENDREPEAT

Indeed. call the file something like "test.ngc"
Also note that I forgot something, you need to say how many repeats.
O1 REPEAT [100]

Then in Halscope (if I understand correctly) I think I need to set up a trigger, is there some way I can make some part of the program the trigger?

Yes, you can set it to trigger on a rising edge of ...motor-pos-cmd. At the top of the screeen there is a slider for zoom and one that lets you position the trigger point (so you can graph the time before the trigger too)

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds