RB1-CNC Retrofit

More
08 Jul 2015 19:53 #60523 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic RB1-CNC Retrofit
There is a better version of "gearchange" that can cope with several gears.
thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributio...evel/4043/focus=4238

Alternatively you might be able to use closed-loop spindle control to work with wherever you set the variable speed.

For extra fun, a sensor could measure the variable speed head position and use a "lincurve" HAL component to get the right scaling factor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2015 20:34 #60524 by LearningLinuxCNC
Replied by LearningLinuxCNC on topic RB1-CNC Retrofit
Andy,

Are you recommending your patch to the gearchange component or Les Newell spindle gearchange component?

How would I implement either one of these? Do I need to copy the text of the Les Newell component and compile it? Since this would be a first for me in Linux can you direct me to a guide?

More
08 Jul 2015 20:41 - 08 Jul 2015 20:41 #60525 by andypugh

Are you recommending your patch to the gearchange component or Les Newell spindle gearchange component?

I am not sure. Either ought to work.

To compile / install
sudo comp --install spindle.comp

More details:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/comp.html
Last edit: 08 Jul 2015 20:41 by andypugh.

More
09 Jul 2015 10:45 #60535 by LearningLinuxCNC
Andy,

I copied the text from Les Newell's post and it does not compile without errors. I was able to fix some of the errors due to improper quotation marks however I now have one that is stumping me at the moment. Could be that I am tired and need to go to bed.

Anyway here is the error that I am getting.
make KBUILD_EXTRA_SYMBOLS=/usr/realtime-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae/modules/linuxcnc/Module.symvers -C /usr/src/linux-headers-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae SUBDIRS=`pwd` CC=gcc V=0 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae'
  CC [M]  /tmp/tmp6BfU3g/spindle.o
/tmp/tmp6BfU3g/spindle.c:57:5: error: unknown type name ‘gear_t’
spindle.comp: In function ‘_’:
spindle.comp:166:25: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
spindle.comp:170:18: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
spindle.comp:174:22: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
spindle.comp: In function ‘extra_setup’:
spindle.comp:296:9: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘add_gear’ from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
spindle.comp:155:5: note: expected ‘struct gear_t *’ but argument is of type ‘int *’
spindle.comp:300:19: error: request for member ‘select’ in something not a structure or union
make[4]: *** [/tmp/tmp6BfU3g/spindle.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [_module_/tmp/tmp6BfU3g] Error 2
make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

I spent most of the night trying to get VNC to work so I could work on the pc for the milling machine from my living room. I had no luck there either. I did get realVNC to work but I was trying to get vnc4server to work so it would start up when the machine boots up.

More
12 Jul 2015 03:44 #60572 by andypugh

I copied the text from Les Newell's post and it does not compile without errors.

The problem is likely to be that you haven't downloaded the spindle.h file which is included by the line
include "components/spindle.h";
It is an attachment at the bottom of the email. I confess I am not ecstatic about the requirement for a header file.

I spent most of the night trying to get VNC to work so I could work on the pc for the milling machine from my living room. I had no luck there either. I did get realVNC to work but I was trying to get vnc4server to work so it would start up when the machine boots up.

I use ssh with the -Y option, is that a possibility for you?

More
18 Jul 2015 08:40 #60712 by LearningLinuxCNC
Another update. This one not so much to do with LinuxCNC but it has to do with progress on the milling machine. Before I purchased this machine I did not have the ability to test the runout of the spindle as I did not have a toolholder available to do so. I purchased the machine and got it home. Bought some toolholders and checked the runout of the spindle. And to my dismay the runout was between .002" and .003". I checked and the spindle bearings seemed good and tight with no side to side play on the nose of the spindle.

There were some rough spots in the spindle taper that you could feel. I put some blue dykem on a toolholder and placed it in the spindle to find out how the fit was. It was only contacting near the small end of the taper.

What do I do now? I can replace the spindle or regrind the taper. I got in touch with Spindle Grinding Service. They will regrind the spindle taper with the spindle still in your machine. I told them that I was in no hurry and sometime that they were going to be in the area to let me know. It turned out they were in my area this week. They did the regrinding of the spindle taper and it is as good as new. The runout with an edge finder in a used ER 32 collet holder is about 0.0005" and the runout on the ID of a brand new ER 32 collet holder is close to 0.0001". I am happy and I will be making the first chips with the machine this weekend.

Below are some videos of the runout before and after the spindle grinding.

More
18 Jul 2015 20:31 #60730 by LearningLinuxCNC
I am trying to get my spindle brake override to work. Now I am running into a problem in HAL. I have an and2 component that is not doing it's thing. It never changes state it is always false. Below is a screenshot from halscope showing both inputs and the output. and2.4.in0 is always true in this screenshot. I am toggling my button that changes the state of and2.4.in1 from true to false. As you see the pin and2.4.out is always false.

I have the connections made to the and2.4 component in my PostGUI hal file. I am attaching it below.
#RB1-CNC_PostGUI.hal
# Written by NitroCH3NO2, Jim Craig

#This HAL file will configure the controls in the custom glade panels so that the following are taken care of
#1. Spindle brake on and off

# loadrt statements preceded by ## are loaded in a previous HAL file

# connect spindle brake to I/O controller
# This will check the motion.spindle-brake and the SpindleBrakeOverride signal
# to activate the spindle brake if the spindle brake override is false

# Add an and2 components
# Add a not component
##loadrt and2 count=1
##loadrt not count=1
net SpindleBrakeOnCmd <= motion.spindle-brake 
net SpindleBrakeOnCmd => and2.4.in0
net SpindleBrakeOverride <= SBOGladeCB4.TBSpindleBrakeOverride
net SpindleBrakeOverride-not <= SBOGladeCB4.TBSpindleBrakeOverride-not
net SpindleBrakeOverride-not => and2.4.in1 
net SpindleBrakeOn and2.4.out => ppmc.0.dout.06.out

What is going on here? :unsure:

More
18 Jul 2015 21:08 #60731 by LearningLinuxCNC
Nevermind. I had a brain fart. I did not add and2.4 to a thread. DOH :blush:

More
19 Jul 2015 04:00 #60744 by LearningLinuxCNC
After fixing the previous issue of me not completing my code, I decided to actually do something with the machine. Granted I did not run a g code file I just did some MDI but I successfully made some chips with the machine. So after three months of working on this thing I can do some actual work with it.

I made an alignment bar for my two 6" vises that I will have mounted on the machine most of the time. This was a piece of 2" x 3" x 3/16" rectangular tubing that I surfaced all four sides on so that I can clamp it into the two vises so that the two fixed jaws of the vise are parallel and collinear when I go to clamp them down. I still need to do a quick tram job on the alignment bar to make sure they are in line with the axis but it should speed up the setup of the two vises.

Here are a couple pics of the bar after surfacing with a 2" three insert face mill.

I want to thank everyone that has helped me through this process. Especially Jon Elson, Andy Pugh, BigJohnT, PCW, and Newbynobi.

I am not finished with the project by any means. I still have the following things I want to do. Some are trivial and some are not.
  1. Connect the mpg wheel on my control panel
  2. Add touch probe and use the probe interface that has been developed by verser
  3. Possibly add modbus control of my VFD's so that I can get feedback from the VFD as to the amp load on the spindle etc.
  4. Possibly add the XHC-HB04 wireless pendant to my control setup
  5. Add a spindle encoder of some sort for speed feedback and rigid tapping
  6. Maybe add a usb mesa card to control the original keypad that was on the fanuc control panel.
  7. Oh yea get a new monitor so the touch screen works.

I am going to go take a video overview of the machine and the retrofit in it's current state. I will try to post it up tonight.

Once I get my equipment moved into my new shop it will be time to start a CNC conversion on my Grizzly lathe. Now I can make all kinds of cool parts for the conversion with the mill!

Thanks again everyone.

NitroCH3NO2, Jim Craig

More
19 Jul 2015 21:42 #60760 by LearningLinuxCNC
As promised here is the video overview of the machine retrofit. Let me know if you have questions about the machine or retrofit.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds