Brother TC-225 / TC-229 adventure!

More
07 Jul 2020 19:25 #173901 by ihavenofish
Poked at the brother in storage today. Turns out that the spindle motors on both machine have the same flange - some reason i thought the tc229 was bigger. both are 150mm. I assume the shafts will end up the same too. No adapters to make.

1 small step closer. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2020 15:46 #173991 by rmu

2: To rmu, sadly, you wont be using the stock servo axis drives. as you may have seen from earlier in this thread, they really just cant be tuned (under linuxcnc anyway). you can buy new drives and keep the motors I expect, but, delta for example makes top end kits that sell for less than many other peoples drives alone.

That remains to be seen. Somehow the original control gets them to cooperate, and there can't be anything really fancy involved (because of very limited compute power of the 8086/8087 pair).

Alternatively I could try hooking them up to STMBLs.

Unfortunately I can't devote much time to this project at the moment.

More
08 Jul 2020 21:30 #174034 by ihavenofish
my persona opinion on the axis servos is - they have very slow response rates of about 100hz, relatively low encoder counts, and the motors are relatively low inertia, so linuxcnc having no jerk control imparts a resonance that is hard to recover from. The x and y are "almost" usable, the Z never was in a state where id have run it.

The problem was never following, it was always within a few encoder pulses"

I think the brother, having only basic motion, and jerk control, and relatively loose following tolerances (it only needed to "stop" in the right spot) makes the system work with no issues, but linuxcnc cant.

A friend of mine has a few TC229s and he's using allen bradley drives which are also fairly slow (200hz). He got them to behave at fairly low speeds, but not at high speed.

In comparison the delta b3 is 3.1khz, with a 24 bit encoder, autotuning, and very advanced internal filtering.

I suppose you can argue its "free" to try the stock motors, then if/when they don't perform well, you can sell them and the drive for as much as a new set of delta B3's.

More
09 Jul 2020 18:55 #174124 by rmu

my persona opinion on the axis servos is - they have very slow response rates of about 100hz, relatively low encoder counts, and the motors are relatively low inertia, so linuxcnc having no jerk control imparts a resonance that is hard to recover from. The x and y are "almost" usable, the Z never was in a state where id have run it.

indeed, those delta servos and drives look very nice, documentation seems to be top notch, not some machine translated chinenglish. will definitely look into it.

More
20 Jul 2020 08:38 - 20 Jul 2020 08:39 #175226 by IceBear
Need some help.

congif: Brother tc-215. mesa 7i92+7i77. servopack details on picture

My spindle servopack start pereodicaly goes to UV error. Initially for 6 month wokr perfect!
Encoder work fine always
But when I try to statrt spindle (in any direction) UV led start blinking.
Reset button stop blinking...but some times drive start.....some times againg goes to this error:(

I have some guess:
1. due to temperature ,,,now about 28
2. due to valtage .... at this moment I got 400v instead 380 ( 216v on servopack instead of 200)
3...????

Do you know what mean "UV led flashes" ?

Thanks!
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Jul 2020 08:39 by IceBear.

More
20 Jul 2020 10:29 #175234 by tommylight
UV = Under Voltage
OH = Over Heated
OC = Over Current
First check the cable to the machine, is it thick enough to power the machine. Thin wires will cause a lot of voltage drop, especially at the start of the motor. And please do not use cheap extension cable to power any machine.
Then check if you can make the "spin up time" longer on the VFD, that will make the current draw raise slowly.

More
21 Jul 2020 06:46 - 21 Jul 2020 06:53 #175304 by IceBear
Thanks for reply!

Forget to say that this error come just immidiatly after control voltage from mesa (about+0.5v) come to +-10v input line....motor don't even try to rotate....

Surely it's not a cheap cable :) cable is 4х6mm^2

Is it possible to get UV error due to HIGH voltage?
I got 402v instead 380 ? (216 v on the drive instead 200v)

Is it possidle to get this error due to 3 phase (L1 L2 L3) wrong siquence? ( not sure if this correct)

Thanks
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jul 2020 06:53 by IceBear.

More
21 Jul 2020 07:59 #175309 by tommylight
380V +-10% = 342 to 418V should be ok for Europe, so 402V is fine.
VFD's usually do not care about phase sequence as that AC voltage is rectified at the very start, most of them will work with just 2 phases, but will put more load on the rectifier.
See if you can find a users manual for the VFD and check the setting.

More
21 Jul 2020 21:16 #175360 by ihavenofish
the drives can be fussy about sequencing startup. drive control voltage, drive power voltage, control signals. if you get that wrong, even by 10ms, it might be complaining about undervoltage. as in, it checked for power voltage, and couldn't find any cause it wasnt "on" yet".

But you said it had been working before, so that throws this off a bit, unless you made some sort of change, or it was on a knife edge and just by fluke never complained before.

More
25 Jul 2020 07:57 #175718 by IceBear
Appriciate for information!
It give me some "apparent" feeleing that I understand haw in works :)

Due to some magic (I believe due to temp. goes down for 3 deg.) this problem gone :)
But I install permanent tem and voltage monitor and ready.
Let You know if got any usfull info.

Thanks for Your support!

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds