Fryer MB-11 Bed Mill Retrofit

More
30 Apr 2018 14:45 #109855 by adamj12b
Hi Alan,

This console was built to be used for a router that never happened. So some things arnt used.

After integrating it with LinuxCNC, some things were difficult to interface to using the type input. ie pots. the jog joystick is cool, but not really as practical as I thought. I was thinking like you mentioned, of using the selector to pick the axis and use the jog button from there.

The MPG is used the most. My step increments arnt really great, but im not sure what I want to change them to as increments of 10 make the most sense. on .01, the machine can really resonate.

Spindle control sucks.... This will be changed to 6 buttons and remove the knob and selector switch. Fwd, Stop, Rev then 100% -10% and +10%. This is be much more practical.

Vacuum will be removed as this was for the vacuum pump of the router.

I dont know what I want to do with the coolant section yet.... Open to suggestions.

For program run, I need to change the feedrate override knob to a max velocity knob or something. I really like how it is handled on the Fanuc controls with a detented knob.

The limit override is useless unless you estop on a limit. I can deal with clicking that in SW.

I really like the zero axis buttons. I use a Haimer and will for the foreseeable future. My intention was to change the limit button to a divide by 2 option so when I hit the zero with it activated, it divides that axis by 2.

A few other code things would be to set up the reset button to clear estop on first press then enable the machine on second press. I corrected the wiring of the machine to keep the encoders live during estop so my estop doesn't lose position, now I just need to be able to enable the machine without hitting F2.

I will also be adding some toolchanger buttons I think as that is my next project.

-Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2018 23:51 #109878 by DeckelHead
Cool. You gave me some things to think about, so thank you...

You do realize that if you took away the joystick then you could not feel like you were playing pong! Then again, your picture shows you as being younger so you probably missed the whole Pong thing anyhow, LOL.

I hadn't thought about +/- 10% on the spindle. I was actually planning on doing an analog pot and tying that into the 7I84 analog input. I'll have to reconsider this. My old Hurco control had a pot for spindle and jog speed tuning, so I thought I'd stick with that.

I was actually planning on keeping a vacuum feature on my console because I plan on using that periodically. Funny how things vary from user to user, but that is the beauty of it all, I suppose.

Coolant is an absolute plus for me. Although, in my system I only have 'coolant' and then a physical switch to go between mist and flood. That is just how my machine was originally wired and I'm keeping that. I didn't see a huge motivator for changing that.

Program run... You have me intrigued. I don't know how Fanuc does this so now that is something I need to check into.

Override... I agree. Kind of a waste of real estate and contributes to clutter. I have a soft limit too, so I shouldn't ever get to the actual limit switch. I wasn't planning on that.

Zero button. Duh! I was thinking it was HOME and not ZERO. Yes, very useful.

I think that clears up some of the buttons... I am trying to reuse my original panel for the time being so that I can see if I'm missing something. After that, I'll move to a more permanent solution. But I think I'm off to a decent start.... I wish I had a toolchanger but I don't. In my garage I really don't need it though so I can't really complain.

I like your Fryer... It looks like a great machine. My 'ole Hurco isn't as nice but it isn't a bad machine.

Thanks!

More
01 May 2018 11:54 #109899 by andypugh

Coolant is an absolute plus for me. Although, in my system I only have 'coolant' and then a physical switch to go between mist and flood. That is just how my machine was originally wired and I'm keeping that. I didn't see a huge motivator for changing that.

My lathe has a three-position switch for coolant: On-Auto-Off. (In auto mode it is controlled by the M-code)
You could consider Flood-Mist-Auto-Off in your case.

More
01 May 2018 14:35 - 01 May 2018 14:35 #109909 by DeckelHead
Yep, in my case, I was planning on exactly that. I lose the ability to automatically control flood vs mist, but that is OK. If I really decide I want it, I can always rewire. The selector switch (on the back of the machine) was already wired in, though, and I didn't really see a good reason to get rid of it. Plus, I don't have an enclosure so flood isn't a great option for me anyhow. I'd like to build something that would contain the coolant and then I could go that route, but for the time being, it is really mist or nothing.

I have been thinking about the separate ZERO switches on the console. I think I'll go to one, and here is why... I'll be finding my part zero using the X,Y,Z,A selector switch in the correct position so that I can jog with the wheel. Therefore, I've already primed the pump for using a single ZERO switch (again, because the selector switch will already be on the desired axis). That seems cleaner to me than multiple switches for each axis, but I'm curious if you, Adam, have a opinion on why my thoughts here are incorrect.

Alan
Last edit: 01 May 2018 14:35 by DeckelHead.

More
01 May 2018 15:05 #109913 by andypugh

Yep, in my case, I was planning on exactly that. I lose the ability to automatically control flood vs mist, but that is OK.

Inside HAL there is a distinction, I rather suspect that allowing automatic flood / mist from G-code can be handled in HAL logic.

More
01 May 2018 15:32 #109918 by DeckelHead
Hi Andy,
Yeah, I understand that. The 'problem' (although not really, IMHO) is that I only have a single relay for flood AND mist. After that, there is a switch that diverts the 120VAC to either a solenoid (for mist) or pump (for flood). So, the limitation is physical, not ephemeral. If I decide that I want true control of both functions via LinuxCNC, I'll have to rewire the system. In truth, that isn't a horrible thing. As I'm finishing up on my control, I have a few spare relays and I could easily retask one of these with 120VAC outputs and then I'd solve everything.

However, right now I don't see a big reason to do this. My machine is in a (pathetically cramped) garage. Without an enclosure, I cannot really run with flood. It would make too much of a mess. :( Fixing the electrical limitations of my machine right now just isn't that important to me. I have to finish buttoning up the system and then play with it for awhile first.

More
01 May 2018 21:31 #109948 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Fryer MB-11 Bed Mill Retrofit
Sounds like you could or2 the flood and mist outputs together to control your master solenoid and then choose either flood or mist output to control your secondary switch depending on the state required.

More
01 May 2018 21:46 #109954 by DeckelHead
Yep, that is exactly what I was planning on doing. One output, at that point, regardless of whether or not it is flood or mist.

More
03 May 2018 05:20 #110089 by DeckelHead
Adam,
I've been grappling with how to reuse the aluminum of my existing panel with a new control. I'm going down this route for a few reasons. First, I hate to admit it, but I'm cheap. My wife says I am, my kids say I am, my brothers say I am.... So, I have to embrace it. I really don't like spending money. :) But, in truth, I also hate to throw stuff away. I want to reuse for environment and for myself.

But this produces a problem. The holes are not in the right spot. More importantly, I am really not too sure what I'll want in the end. I expect to have some features/buttons as hits and others being duds. Ideally, I'd learn from my mistakes and redo the panel. But the raw aluminum is looking like it might approach $100 at my supplier. That is a hefty bill for doing something several times.

So, I have been looking for alternatives and I think I've found one. Dibond is a product that is a composite. It has thin aluminum with a rigid plastic core. It is used in the sign industry quite a bit where it is painted, etched, printed, etc. It is pretty weather proof too, which is attractive for our uses. Finally, it looks like it can be engraved too, if you're into that.

I'm considering making a front panel with this stuff. If it isn't rigid enough, I can always use the original panel as a backing At that point, I won't really care how many holes are in it as they'd be covered with the Dibond front.

Are you familiar with this product?

More
03 May 2018 09:37 #110101 by andypugh
I have a DiBond panel on my lathe.
My neighbour stole some from his workplace to sheet a trailer with, and I stole the offcuts that he left lying around in the communal parking area (he's a scruff). So mine was both very cheap and doubly morally reprehensible.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds