Mini wannabe datron build

More
06 Sep 2023 01:12 #280042 by ihavenofish
I think the key panel section is ready to program. Need to hack off a bit of 25mm plate and off we go. Should have all the cutters on hand for this. It is still too hot to do my shed floor construction tomorrow, so maybe ill see if I can cut this in one day, ha.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, spumco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2023 02:41 #280043 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Mini wannabe datron build

MPG wheel - 4 pins for differential correct? Nothing on the RP2040

MPG wheel takes two pins.  No need for differential signaling.

More
06 Sep 2023 02:47 #280044 by ihavenofish
Ah ok. even one with a 6 ft cable now? everything i see for wiring diagrams show differential.

More
06 Sep 2023 02:58 #280045 by tommylight
Differential is better for noise immunity , so if using a long cable and you do get issues with single ended, try differential if there are inputs available.
Or use a shielded cable, should work with 2 wires only.

More
06 Sep 2023 03:03 #280046 by ihavenofish
Cool thanks.

I want to use some lapp flex ethernet cable i have lying around if possible. So i have 8 wires. the display is 4 (including power). If the encoder can take 2, and i can reduce the buttons to 2 that will work.

More
06 Sep 2023 03:39 #280047 by ihavenofish
"Assembled". I found an led strip with a 5mm pitch that can do the torque meter and can curl around for the override dial. ill make a mirror polished bit of aluminium on the case back to reflect it outward. the rp2040 board, keyboard driver and io expander along with a usb hub all go under the override dial area. that is why it is left empty although it might be nice to have another little oled there to display tool number and other things.

For scale, the keyboard part is now 152mm x 278mm. Fits easily in the saunders vise and inside the machine travel. Ive been careful to not have any cuts deeper than 12mm. 4mm end mills are optimal on my machine, and the DLC ones I have are 12mm flute. I have some 6mm, but I don't see them having any benefit with 0.26NM torque.

Once this is done I need to raid the corian samples to make the keycaps. 8 colours! haha.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, spumco

More
30 Sep 2023 07:16 #281910 by ihavenofish
So this works now :)

It is on a 1.5kw "MS300" house brand drive from automation direct. I give them a gold star for both delivery (less than 24 hours!) and phone support. Price was pretty good too.

Only drawback is we are still limited to 36000rpm like the last spindle. Eventually I will source an economical non mystery meat 1000hz drive.

Now I need to get it onto the machine. It needs a 6.35mm spacer behind the clamp cause the air cylinder is hitting the z servo. Bough some ground 4140, just need to just and drill it now.
Attachments:

More
24 Oct 2023 08:55 #283682 by ihavenofish
how to film a cnc up reeeeaaaaaal close
:P

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, besriworld

More
24 Oct 2023 14:45 #283711 by besriworld
Did you make the control panel?

More
24 Oct 2023 18:28 #283739 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Mini wannabe datron build

It is on a 1.5kw "MS300" house brand drive from automation direct. I give them a gold star for both delivery (less than 24 hours!) and phone support. Price was pretty good too.

Only drawback is we are still limited to 36000rpm like the last spindle. Eventually I will source an economical non mystery meat 1000hz drive.

Very sweet.

Good timing - I've got a couple of surplus air bearing spindles laying around and I've been researching drives lately.  The OEM stuff from Precise or Fisher are priced insane, even used.

I've not seen an "MS300" drive from AD, but the Delta MS300 series can do 1500hz in the high-speed version.  Looks for model numbers ending in "SHA" instead of "SAA".

A 2hp 1p to 3p version for your spindle should be VFD7A5MS21AFSHA.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.345 seconds