Gampad in EMC2 Question (SOLVED)

More
17 Dec 2011 12:36 #15770 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Gampad in EMC2 Question

EMC2 is quite good at telling you why it won't start. I very much suspect that there is a pin-name that you have wrong, probably because the button names are different on your device.

Andy has a good point there and the most likely reason.

Or you could have misspelled the pin name, you should get an error that say nnnnn does not exist when EMC tries to start.

Again go back to show hal configuration watch, select your device and you should be able to see and test all the buttons you have to work with.
Substitute the name of the pin you have and want to use in the configuration file and try that.

As Chris also pointed out you can use Pncconf to see and test all the pins/buttons you have.

Chris,

I did try Pncconf today and it was able to locate and name the joystick and then show and test the buttons....pretty cool!

Rick G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2011 16:35 #15773 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:Gampad in EMC2 Question
Oh great Rick I have had little feedback on it so that helps.
I wrote it when I discovered how much fooling around with general rules, specific rules and permissions one had to get just right.
In PNCconf now you don't have to completely know everything.

More
18 Dec 2011 16:34 #15810 by cwebs
Replied by cwebs on topic Re:Gampad in EMC2 Question
Is there a manual for pncconf ? I don't want to lose what I have got right so far. Carl

More
18 Dec 2011 17:01 #15811 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Gampad in EMC2 Question
You might look here...
wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?Pncconf

You could use it to create a new configuration, but in your case you might just start it and use it to test the buttons and see a list of the names of the buttons and not even save it.

But Pncconf is Chris's work and he can give you better advice.

Rick G

More
19 Dec 2011 00:03 #15820 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Gampad in EMC2 Question
cwebs wrote:

Is there a manual for pncconf ? I don't want to lose what I have got right so far. Carl

The manual for pncconf is here

linuxcnc.org/docview/2.5/html/config/pncconf.html

John

More
19 Dec 2011 06:35 #15830 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:Gampad in EMC2 Question
PNCconf is for creating configs that use Mesa I/O card products.
So unless you are using Mesa products it can't make a config for you.
Though you could make a dummy one up and look at the HAL file to see how PNCconf did it.
Though PNCconf sometimes does things a little differently then hand written configs.

But if you want to just add a rule for another USB joystick and test it to see the pin names
then PNCconf can be helpful.
PNCconf can also be used to test parports...

But if you got your joystick working you should probably just carry on and learn a little HAL along the way.:)

More
24 Dec 2011 17:14 #15982 by cwebs
I am now so smart that my head hurtz. After reading every thing that I didn't understand I found that one button was called "trigger" and I don't have a button called trigger as in John's setup. Mine is called "Joypad" for that button and that's what through me off. Why would a button be called joypad is also beyond me. I have also learned how to setup estop button on my own. Thanks again for forcing me to hurt my self. Carl

More
24 Dec 2011 18:03 #15983 by Rick G
Glad to hear you got it working, now you can program the joypad to do what you want. The trip may have had some bumps but you got to admit it was worth it.

Rick G

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds