Limit to number of tools in tool table

More
09 Sep 2015 19:43 #62317 by LearningLinuxCNC
Is there a limit to the number of tools in the tool table? I was under the impression only 99 tools were allowed. However I can't find reference to that now. I recently saw in another post that someone had a tool number T9999.

Just wondering if there is a limit?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2015 21:19 #62321 by BigJohnT
Assuming your talking about a recent version of LinuxCNC...

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/tool-compen....html#sec:tool-table

JT

More
09 Sep 2015 23:19 #62332 by andypugh

Just wondering if there is a limit?

You can have a total of 56 tools, but the tool numbers can be as big as you want.

More
09 Sep 2015 23:31 #62334 by LearningLinuxCNC
This brings up another question. Why are we limited to 56 tools? I would like to have a single tool table that is consistent from Fusion 360 to LinuxCNC. However with a limit of 56 tools I will have to change my LinuxCNC tool table if my required tools change. This is a pain.

Does anyone know the reason behind the limit of 56 tools in the table? Is this something that could be changed?

Note I have not ran into the limit yet but I am sure I will shortly. Different drill sizes are the real culprit.

More
10 Sep 2015 00:37 #62338 by andypugh

Does anyone know the reason behind the limit of 56 tools in the table?

Yes, the tool data is passed around between the different modules in a fixed size structure that only has room for 56 tools.

It's crazy, and I actually did a lot of work to fix it and put the tool data in an SQL database. But it was widely ignored.

it's the andypugh/tooltable branch here: git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git;a=heads
The following user(s) said Thank You: LearningLinuxCNC

More
10 Sep 2015 02:40 #62342 by cncbasher
Andy i publicly vote for this to be put into the mainstream code base . it really should be there.
their are many users with big tool tables myself included
The following user(s) said Thank You: LearningLinuxCNC

More
10 Sep 2015 02:43 #62343 by LearningLinuxCNC
I vote for this also.

More
10 Sep 2015 03:05 #62345 by jtc

Yes, the tool data is passed around between the different modules in a fixed size structure that only has room for 56 tools.

It's crazy, and I actually did a lot of work to fix it and put the tool data in an SQL database. But it was widely ignored.

it's the andypugh/tooltable branch here: git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git;a=heads

I have reached the 56 tools limit on 2 machines, and that is simply annoying :side:

And when this limit was reached, find that the number of tools in the tool table is the problem it's kind of difficult, linuxcnc donĀ“t even starts so the tool table has to be edited manually.

My vote is for a SQL database solution, that permits some flexibility on the future. Some triggers that update automatically the tools offsets if changed on the database should be great.

More
10 Sep 2015 03:23 #62346 by BigJohnT

Commit it to master so it can get some testing. People using master expect it to break from time to time.

JT

More
10 Sep 2015 04:08 #62347 by cmorley
Andy:

When i get no response such as you did - I take it as a go-ahead.
I announce that i'm going to add it to master unless i hear a good reason not too.
and after that I will commit it to master. once it's in master if there is a real reason not to have it there,
devs will be more forward.

It has happened a few times for me and wasn't negative.
And I vote for your work on tool table too.
and for JA branch

In fact I think we should peel off a 2.8 branch off master now then add JA right away.
It's the only way it will get added any time reasonable.
IMHO

Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigJohnT

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds