Proper methods for a lathe tool changer?

More
12 Apr 2016 15:01 - 12 Apr 2016 15:03 #73170 by Fastest1

When you typed "sudo halcompile --install toolchanger.comp" at the command prompt, were you in the directory where the toolchanger.comp file is located?
(Andy must type faster than me.)

Of course not! Until you just mentioned it I really misunderstood the terminal and most likely still do. However with that one statement (were you in the right directory?) might have given me a small epiphany ;-) Dont expect a big change right away.

Btw I was editing my post when Andy responded.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2016 15:03 by Fastest1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2016 15:08 #73171 by Todd Zuercher
A Linux terminal window is analogous to the DOS prompt in Windows.

More
12 Apr 2016 15:12 #73172 by Fastest1
I am afraid my use of the computer has been limited to the mouse.
At 54 years old, the terminal reminds me of playing Pong! The one by Atari not beer :woohoo:

More
12 Apr 2016 15:42 #73174 by Fastest1
Upon looking into the files. It appears my first attempt did install the entire Boxford file into "config" folder.

I also looked in my machine configuration (DM3000) in the config folder. I notice that it too had the Boxford file, however opening the file only produced the README page. I then extracted the entire folder again to this folder config/DM3000 (my machine).

Which place should I have installed it? Is there an issue of having it in both places? I still see no change though I am not sure where I would see the change. I was thinking other options on the page or the ability to rotate the turret via an M6T? command.

More
12 Apr 2016 15:52 #73175 by andypugh
You still need to compile and install the .comp file before anything can use it.

More
12 Apr 2016 17:11 #73178 by Fastest1

You still need to compile and install the .comp file before anything can use it.

I installed it in 2 places it appears. Do I compile the .comp file in config or my machines file within config? If that makes sense. I read the link you provided earlier in the thread actually a few times. This stuff has to be easier in person.

More
12 Apr 2016 17:14 #73179 by andypugh

I installed it in 2 places it appears.

Unless it has been compiled and installed as toolchanger.ko in /usr/bin then it isn't actually installed. The .comp file is source-code.

More
12 Apr 2016 18:21 #73183 by Fastest1
Andy, If I was in linuxcnc/configs/Boxford240Test in a terminal and used the "sudo halcompile --install toolchanger.comp" command? It did return some things. Though I am not sure what they mean. It wasnt an error though or doesnt appear to be. After the above command it says:
make KBUILD_EXTRA_SYMBOLS=usr/realtime-3.4-9-rtai-686pae/modules/linuxcnc/Modules.symvers -C /usr/src/linux-headers-3.4-9-686-pae SUBDIRS='pwd' CC=gcc V=)modules
make[1}: Entering directory etc.

Is this on the right track? Im not sure of the next step as if I was sure before ;-) Btw I am not working from the machine computer. It would be much easier to copy and paste or screenshot the response of my terminal entries. Probably more helpful to those of you willing.

More
12 Apr 2016 22:17 #73200 by andypugh
If the last entry in the output is something like "cp toolchange.ko /usr/bin/toolchange.ko" then it has all worked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fastest1

More
12 Apr 2016 23:15 #73202 by Fastest1
The last line did say that.
Though when I look into usr/bin I don't see anything called toolchanger.ko

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds